Self reminder is helpful at times...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Schilly, Jul 18, 2018.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Piss in the wind?

2. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Survey says...

BZZZ.

If someone can name the song AND artist... I dont even know what I have to give.

riverman likes this.
  3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and it is indeed a valid one. Why not start your own thread about the Blazers chances of making the playoffs? If you go back and read the very first post in this thread. It was only about appreciating past accomplishments, not predicting future ones. Future predictions don't belong here and deserve their own thread.

Did you? Then why did you still choose to go off topic and disrespect the intent of the thread.

Sorry to single you out. You're hardly the worst offender, and not even someone I was thinking of when I posted my rant last night.

However, the inability to stay on topic in threads is one of the big problems in this forum. The game threads are horrible. Every single one turns into some pointless pissing contest that goes on for pages and, as @lawai'a pointed out, gets resurrected and regurgitated in subsequent game threads, thus ruining them too.

I'd ask the mods to step in, but at this point, I can't imagine they'd have time to delete/move every off topic post in the game threads, let alone, every thread that gets posted around here.

So, how about a little self-policing? Everyone should start asking themselves if what they are about to post fits in with the original topic of the thread. If not, start your own thread.

Yeah, I see the irony that what I just posted is off topic. I get it. It was never my intent to derail @Schilly's thread. I agree with everything he wrote and think his post and his thread deserve our respect. Unfortunately, it had already swerved severely off topic before I even had a chance to start reading it. That's how bad it's gotten around here. Take an hour off to grab some dinner and come back to see a worthwhile thread started - and destroyed in the span of minutes.

We're our own worst enemies. We are destroying the forum we used to enjoy. We all need to be better. That doesn't mean only sunshine and rainbows. It doesn't mean agreeing with what everyone else says. There has always been room for respectful disagreement here. Let's just try to keep threads on topic and respect others' opinions, even when we don't agree with them.

I'll start. This will be my last off topic post in this thread.

BNM

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  4. SportsAndWhine

SportsAndWhine Dumbass For Hire

Sorry... I'm so sorry but I have to...

riverman likes this.
  5. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    When it's all said and done, we basically swapped out LaMarcus for a young Marc Gasol. I'm pretty good with that, all in all.

It could always be better, but it could also always be much, much worse. Given the state of the modern NBA, I think we're a pretty fortunate fan base.

I'm much less happy with the state of the NBA in general.
    • LeBron has been my favorite player for a long time, and while I respect his decision to really do what's best for his family and personal life, I'm really, really going to struggle watching him play for the Lakers. It's really disgusting to watch Magic gloat in interviews like he's some goddamned genius, when the reality is LeBron fell into his lap while the Lakers have been one of the most poorly run franchises in the league for years. At least I get to watch them hand out stupid contracts to guys like Pope. The one glimmer of joy will be watching Magic continue to royally fuck up while the biggest spotlight in the league shines on him. And of course LeBron will be there bitching throughout it all.
    • The Warriors and especially Durant have ruined any real sense of suspense. If they win, it's because they should. If they don't win the championship, it's basically lack of effort or enthusiasm, and who wants to see the best team lose just because they stopped giving a shit? There's no scenario where it's actually fun watching Golden State compete for a title.
    • The Rockets are a big bag of dicks. The only joy comes from knowing they will pay Chris Paul a ludicrous amount of money to be injured a shocking amount of the time.
    • The Spurs/Toronto trade is all so cynical and depressing the more you look into it. Leonard doesn't trust anybody and never talks and god knows if he'll be any good, the Raps dealt the best player they'll ever have after he just took a pay cut for the team. It's all just kind of shitty. And of course Aldridge remains dead to me.
    There's plenty to bitch about. The Blazers aren't it, though. Given the state of the league they're doing what they can.

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I love it! I may be livin' with a bum ticker but my sense of humor is made of steel!

42N8Bounce likes this.
  7. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    The Man, The Myth, The Homer! :)

riverman likes this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

There's only one Homer....homerloveskoolaid…..I really miss his humor around here! He hasn't posted in a long, long time

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  9. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

You rang?

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

yeah.....I need another cup of coffee...no sugar

THE HCP likes this.
  11. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Cream and sugar for me, thanks!

riverman likes this.
  12. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I need my lawn watered and mowed. Thanks in advance.

THE HCP and riverman like this.
  13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Why did I get an alert on this stating I was quoted, when it was River?

@SlyPokerDog
    @Strenuus

NOt concerned, just curious. Is the thing screwed up?

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  14. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Because you're motley and crude?

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Well there is that.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Top 5 payroll in the NBA finished with the 7th best record... that's not terrible. Especially considering how much harder it is to get players to come here than major cities. I expect to pay a premium for our wins. It's the only advantage we have.

17. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

This is an extremely young team. We play more young guys than most people. Young teams don't tend to be as consistent. As our record last season showed. Young teams tend to have more trouble in the playoffs... These are things that players handle better as they mature. If we had older players of equivalent talent we would have probably handled adversity better and won more games. We would have probably won more playoff games.

Other teams that are older have more reliable and experienced benches to turn to. Why wouldn't we consider that?

dviss1 and Boob-No-More like this.