OT Sell me on a better plan

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Orion Bailey, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this. Some economic differences in opinion, probably. The electoral college discussion is something that could go on for decades before anything happens, imo. Please don't let those minor opinions digress from the op though.

2. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

I was just spitballing after the taxation thing, which, I think, should be a universal opinion and everything really could start right there. idk.

3. The Professional Fan

Except the bombing of Canada I meant that shit

Shaboid likes this.
  4. Shaboid

I get what you mean.

I do somewhat have an issue with the "the economy is doing good" argument, in general. There are SO MANY factors that go into it. Sure, the POTUS has something to do with it. So do the previous office holders going back decades, and honestly centuries. Some more than others.

This topic gets me started on the Federal Reserve, and it's 11:20 pm for me right now and I probably shouldn't get started on the Federal Reserve.

5. The Professional Fan

Well, when he says the economy is doing good he's talking about the DOW (which is) and then he throws out shit like "blacks are the most employed EVAR" and shit like that but really how does the DOW affect true working class Americans? I have a 401K but I don't invest in the market. It really means nothing to me day to day. What *would* mean something to me is if my salary even remotely kept up with inflation or the ridiculous increase in rent prices.

VanillaGorilla and calvin natt like this.
  6. Shaboid

I said don't get me started!

7. The Professional Fan

DO IT

8. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

THe economy only looks good because it is being propped up by huge deficit spending.

Chris Craig and yankeesince59 like this.
  9. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

Sadly, many people either totally dismiss this point or cannot grasp it.

It's simple math really and not much different than you or I trying to reconcile our checking accounts. For us to write checks (debits) for X amount of dollars we must have at least that much in funds.(credits)...again, very simple math and concept.

Trump's fuzzy math has allowed for drastic reductions in taxes (mostly for the rich and big business) but at the same time is spending more than the revenue we take in.

This sleight of hand and financial gymnastics are being built on the backs of out children and grandchildren.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    calvin natt likes this.
  10. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

Trumps tax plan really fucked us. Our economy is so good and there is so much QE money out there that we should be raking in tax dollars to pay down the debt, that way we could adsorb another downturn with no issue. Instead Trump doubleded down on immediate profits. We literally just wasted the best economy of any of lives. Sad part is that it will run out of steam on a democrats watch and the democrats will be blamed for it, which will bring in another republican to fuck it up even further. This time there will be no safety net.

calvin natt and yankeesince59 like this.
  11. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

I will take a stab at it as a Warren supporter.

First, if you have not done so, I would suggest reading the NY Times article endorsing Warren and Amy Klobuchar: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...har-elizabeth-warren-nytimes-endorsement.html. This summarizes I think fairly strength and weakness of the various candidates.

It is also true, as the Times says, that most if not all of the 2020 Democratic field agrees on a lot of issues. They all support immigration reform, voting rights, expanding health care access, background checks for gun purchase, among other issues; they all support the science of global warming and think women are smart enough to make our own healthcare decisions without male legislators mansplaining pregnancy to us. They all agree treating people with courtesy and respect is a good thing, they all accept US intelligence over Putin.

So, why did I pick Warren? First, she aligns most consistently with my own views. Not 100%, I doubt any two people ever agree 100% on everything. But I do agree with her that simply nibbling around the edges is insufficient. I support any measure, even small ones, that make lives of people, animals, the planet a little better but one thing we've seen in the past 3 years is how easy it has been to undo these measures when a president not only wants to give all to the rich and powerful but also loves cruelty to those considered "losers" (poor, sick, disabled, refugees, etc.) I agree with Warren that structural changes are needed. As a working class woman I will always be poorer than my parents were. As a worker with a physical disability, I have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars due to employment discrimination and lack of access. And the next generation may be poorer still. All economic gains go to the top 1%, or really fraction of 1%. College is harder to go to, there is less and less social mobility, housing is insufficient and segregated, education perpetuates inequality, health care even with "good" insurance costs a fortune. And there are relentless attacks on civil rights. And the planet is burning. These things happen not due to some conspiracy hatched in a smoke filled room by a few evil men but because this inequality is a feature of the current system. It is working exactly as it was planned to, for the benefit of the rich and powerful.

I like that, as we say, "Warren has a plan for that". I'm a realist, I know she won't be able to implement every plan. But I like that she is not a one-note candidate. That she is knowledgeable and concerned about many issues. She's not likely to be taken by surprise by something that would come up during her presidency. She is prepared.

I like her. She does not come from privilege. She understands how it feels to struggle. Like many women of her generation she quit college to marry and have children. When she was ready to resume her education she was almost derailed by lack of childcare. Her Aunt Bea agreed to take care of her children. Were it not for Aunt Bea, she probably would have had to spend the rest of her life waiting tables or in a typing pool, like so many women. I like that she became a special education teacher. That shows she has compassion and is willing to do a hard job.

Early in the campaign, before I made up my mind who I supported, I saw Warren interviewed, I really can't remember by whom. But he said that a position she was espousing was not popular. She replied that leadership means doing what is right and persuading others that it is right. She added that she might indeed be wrong and other people might sometimes convince her of that. So many politicians talk out of both sides of their mouths. I thought she showed integrity saying she would do what she thought was right, and also humility, she is not a god, she does not know everything, she is willing to listen to other points of view. You will not hear her say she knows more about war than generals or more about science than scientists.

I know that Warren and Bernie Sanders have similar views. I picked Warren for several reasons. I admit, I'm inclined to support a woman, I mean, we've had 45 men and 0 women. Also, I feel that Warren explains and Sanders yells. I do get tired of being yelled at. Age is a factor, she is 70 but he is 78 and women live longer. I also feel that Sanders is less likely to listen to others.

You might want to check this out from Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/policy-2020/quiz-which-candidate-agrees-with-me/

It talks about a range of issues, you check off your position and it tells which candidate agrees most with you. Not surprisingly, it showed I agree most with Warren, Sanders second, also not terribly surprising, more of a surprise it showed Yang and Steyer, neither of whom I would consider supporting, third.

So that's why I support Elizabeth Warren. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  12. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Another nail in the coffin in the late, great OT Forum. :(

I took the time (despite knowing it was probably a fool's errand) to give @Orion Bailey a thoughtful response. As did @crandc and @calvin natt and @The Professional Fan and a few others. And what do we get?

Crickets, him harping at @barfo, and @MARIS61 with his usual silly, pointless, unintelligent schtick. OB clearly was not serious and thought nothing of wasting our time.

Maybe @riverman is right. What's the point? Seriously. "To everything there is a season, turn, turn, turn." Maybe the season of this once fun place is over.

And that makes me sad.

The Professional Fan likes this.
  13. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Yeah. Anyone who asks to be sold on voting against trump is being disingenuous, there is no convincing because they are starting from an angle that is so skewed they will not accept valid reasons. Waste of time.

14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

excersize a little patience. Your judgements are a bunch of bs.
    Do tou want me to respond to your thoughtful posts on my phone and just ramble or can you give me the benefit of the doubt that i forgot i had a game to go to the night before, had to work extra late last night, am a busy man and want to do a bit of research on your thoughts and not just give a hollow response?

I also have plans tonight and tomorrow night, so really i don't see me giving a quality response until this weekend.
    Will you live or just prejudge me?

Not everyone is on here 24/7?

seriously. I want to read up on a couple things so i give an informed response. Is that so bad?
    You are only interested in a nonthoughtful kneejerk response? Or can i get a bit of respect for actually wanting to do a bit of research and put some real thought into my response?

Sheesh!!!!!

il respond thoughtfully and intelligently no later than this weekend.

please show a bit of patience???

Hoopguru likes this.
  15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

the. Why are you even posting if you are already set in your judgements?

leave the thread if all you have is comments like this. Move on. You are helping no one, including yourself.
    You wont get another response from me because its clear you are too stubborn to see anything beyond your narrow vision.

I dont know you, you dont know me. To say im disingenuous with my questions proves my point and show how shallow you are for not taking the high road and offering real answers.

several posters here gave quality response and deserve a quality response in return. You are not one of these people. Move on and stop trying to derail the conversation with your judgmental comments.

you are the epitome of the problem regarding communication breakdowns.

16. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

I don't know if Orion Bailey will read my post. But every vote counts, so I'm hoping someone does.

Chris Craig likes this.
  17. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

I read it and she still has my vote despite if she wins the nomination. Despite my criticism she is still one of the top 3 but not my top DNC candidate pick. I think she would make a great president.

18. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

No, I’ll stay right here. Waiting for the very first Trump supporter to be convinced of anything. Anything. Maybe it’ll be you!

19. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

More times than not, when someone goes looking for trouble, they generally find it.

20. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

NPH?

tenor (1).gif