Sergio wants out

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by STOMP, Nov 7, 2008.

1. SpanishFly

SpanishFly Member

GS, NY and us? what kind of 3-way can we work? Harrington to NY, Lee to Blazers, TO or Frye and Sergio to GS? Does GS have a trade exception? do we need to add Raef to GS to make it work?

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I think the whole "buddies" angle is way overplayed. These guys want to play, and Rudy was convinced to come over when it was clear that he would have a large role to play ... not once did he mention that he came to the NBA to play with his friend (though I'm sure that's an added bonus).

I have a feeling Rudy would rather see Sergio traded so he can get some more PT, than have him languish on the bench.

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

4. SpanishFly

SpanishFly Member

I'd do that easily, seem like a decent trade for GS as they get a running PG and Frye who would seem to fit well in their sysyem and with Biedrins, also they get a 6 mil expiring which they could use, Harrington I think has a player option - I like Lee as Frye and LMA are just TOO similar! Nice trade

5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Wow! I bet seeing his boy Rudy out there getting some run is frustrating him.

6. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

The funny thing is, Rudy's probably as much to blame for him getting limited burn as anything. Rudy is eating up a ton of the "reserve" guard PT.

7. BenDavis503x

BenDavis503x Suspended

Rudy is here and getting a lot of PT and doing well. I don't think he gives a shit about what Sergio says. He is prolly encouraging him to go get his minutes somewhere else.

8. Blazed

Blazed Rip City 4 LIFE

A trade needs to be made period. We have a our future starting PG, Bayless (crosses fingers) sitting on the bench not playing a minute. He's way too good to not be playing.

9. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

I agree 100% and I think Bayless should at least get the 5-10 minute backup PG. I would actually like to see Sergio, LaFrenz and maybe Outlaw traded. I think if Bayless is going to learn to be our future PG and I think he is IMO we need to let him learn with the 5-10 minutes per game.

10. Foulzilla

Foulzilla No Blood, No Foul.

I'm a bit dissapointed as I really like Sergio. However, it's understandable. He's not getting a lot of play time, and we've got Bayless sitting on the bench not playing already. I doubt that lasts much longer as there's no doubt Bayless has the talent to play (and I'm really looking forward to seeing him get some minutes). When that happens, say goodbye to Sergio's minutes. There might not be a better time to trade Sergio than now anyways.

Lee would be a great pickup from NY. I'm drawing a blank on who from GS would interest us. Maybe Azubuike?

Honestly though, I doubt Sergio has a lot of value currently. At best I suspect we can get a late first round pick for him.

11. Blazed

Blazed Rip City 4 LIFE

12. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Then give them one. Lee is a player that would help us a lot.

13. Blazed

Blazed Rip City 4 LIFE

PG-Blake, Bayless
    G-Roy, Rudy
    SF-Marty, Outlaw, Batum
    PF-L.A., Lee, Diogu, Randolph
    C-Oden, Pryz

Not bad, I'd still move outlaw, blake, and raef for a better vet PG

14. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    Sergio's biggest asset really is his ability to throw that alley-oop to Rudy cutting baseline. I don't see any other Blazer who is willing to make that pass.
    And Rudy does play a little more aggressively, running around screens and such when Sergio is on the floor because he knows he's going to get the ball.
    I saw a little frustration on Rudy when Roy was dominating the ball at the end of the fourth and in OT. Rudy was open underneath the hoop on one play, and Roy had it and was bringing the ball up the court and didn't see him, and Rudy just threw his hands up kind of in frustration.

I'd hate to see Sergio go for Rudy's sake, at least for now as Rudy still adjusts to the NBA game and the rest of the team. But oh well, we'll see

15. number 10

number 10 Our Savior

student
    For 1 season. If we could lock him up to a Webster style deal then I'd be all for it, but we'd need to make sure he'd be happy coming off the bench now and in the future.

16. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

Man, I was just starting to like Sergio again, but we do have Petteri overseas waiting to be the 3rd guard. I'd really push to send Blake out first. I truly hope this does not distract the team in ANY way. I really think Channing, Blake, Martell and Raef could be used to get a player in return to trim down the roster. With the way Travis and Rudy stroke threes, is making Marty a bit irrelevant?

17. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

Wow. This is a shocker. I thought Serg was happy. It makes sense though. Next year is his first chance to make a lot of money. Playing 11 minutes per game isn't going to give him the exposure to do so. The best he'd be able to hope for is a Travis-Outlaw-sized deal.

Where we can upgrade is at starting small forward. I've given up on the idea of a PG. I'd rather see Roy playing PG than SF. Batum isn't going to be slighted in the least if he's demoted to a reserve role. If we can package Sergio with a combination of Martell Webster, Channing Frye, Ike Diogu, Petteri Kopenen, Joel Freeland, or draft picks for one of the following:

- Andrei Kirilenko
    - Gerald Wallace
    - Michael Redd

It would be very difficult to deal with Utah, but suppose it's possible.

I'm excited to see what happens!

18. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It's too bad... I'd prefer that all the players act like good soldiers and allow their career value to be crushed by rotting away on the bench for 40 minutes a game. :)

Sergio can't be blamed TOO much. Except for looking silly by asking for a trade when he probably has no value around the NBA.

He still could emerge as a Calderon-type of player. Jose didn't find his jumper until relatively late (he's 27 now and just has emerged as a starter in the NBA) and while it's not common it wouldn't be unprecedented for Sergio to do something similar.

The things that he has going for him (floor vision, creativity, good size for a PG) aren't going to go away... it's just a question of whether he ever discovers a reliable jumper.

Ed O.

19. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2008/11/pritchard_sergio_is_going_nowh.html

20. Blazed

Blazed Rip City 4 LIFE

That makes me feel better, i really don't want to trade sergio.