Series Thread: Boston Red Sox vs. Tampa Bay Rays; RAYS LEAD SERIES 3-3

Discussion in 'MLB General' started by JE, Oct 8, 2008.

1. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

I havent heard anything about him being hurt, I just think he needs to work on his mechanics in the offseason. If you watch him pitch from this year to last year when he had a great season, his body posistion is a little different and the angles are a little off. The reason he has been inconsistent is that his slider wasnt there, 9% of his pitches for the regular season were sliders which is not enough, in game 5, 28% of his pitches were sliders and he went 6 innings with 2 hits and 0 ER.

But If he does get injured we have so much depth to take over. Edwin Jackson who won 14 games can take over, Jeff Niemann who was a 1st round pick and pitched in 4 games this season, Mitch Talbot started a game this season, Wade Davis who is a top prospect in AAA, JP Howell and Jason Hammel are also former starters and could pitch also if Kaz gets hurt like they did in the beginning of the season.

2. Dumpy

Dumpy Yi-ha!!

I could be wrong, but often a sudden loss of control like he experienced in the second half of the season is indicative of compensating for an elbow or shoulder injury. It sends up red flags. What happens is that the pitcher has trouble finding a comfortable "slot," or in some instances, can't even pitch from his normal angle without experiencing discomfort. The same is true, for example, for Ian Snell of the Pirates, who probably hid an injury all season. Often rest doesn't help in these instances and the pitcher eventually has to undergo surgery.

I hope I'm wrong in Kazmir's case, but again, red flag.