Shams: Olshey being investigated for workplace misconduct

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Where has he given credit to Bill Branch directly? Not saying he hasn't, but it sounds like you know he has.

2. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I mostly agree with this. I do not like vague stories coming out where people draw their own conclusions before the facts are even out there.

I think Olshey is a self-absored douche, who has taken little to no accountability for his poor contracts, roster construction, and use of 1st round draft picks. However, I don't want to totally jump on him without having more, unbias, factual evidence in front of me.

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Plenty of shoutouts for assistants. Didn't realize that was a criteria for his job for Olshey to sing praises about his assistants. Just SOME examples.

https://theathletic.com/1105064/201...urse-for-the-trail-blazers-summer-of-success/
    SN even did a big expose on his relationship with staffers. https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nba...idge-stays-or-goes/1gix2llek992a1hyztexg49jus

Wizard Mentor and Haakzilla like this.
  4. illmatic99

spot on.

riverman likes this.
  5. illmatic99

Quick had some good insight into NO and his temper as well. But it was a far more balanced take than the coverage we get from other outlets. Some of you should read it.

6. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Could you refresh my memory? I think I've watched every presser Olshey has given in the last five years and i just don't recall any praise for anyone besides maybe the owner, his boss. I certainly don't remember him saying something like that he couldn't have made a certain deal without the help of one of his assistant GM's, or couldn't have handled the salary cap without them.

7. illmatic99

dude... scroll up

8. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

QUALITY DUDE!!!!!!

TBpup and SlyPokerDog like this.
  9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Quick and Jaynes are not known for balanced coverage regarding Olshey. Quick hasn't passed Jaynes as Neil's #1 apologist, but he's not far behind.

Got to keep that source happy.

10. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I’ve never got the feeling that Lillard even likes Olshey, and especially have never got the feeling that his attachment to Portland coincides with Olshey being the GM. So I’m not sure why Illmathix is apologizing for Olshey. Dudes been a bunk ass GM.

It’s been clear for the past couple years he practically inherited the spot he’s in now by virtue of death and no clear leadership since Paul’s passing.

11. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    That one tweet is from 2013, then there is an article from 2015 where his opinion is elicited. I still do not see him going out of his way to give praise to his assistants.

TBpup likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't know how people get the idea that Quick is close to Olshey like Jaynes.....Quick is the guy Neil winked with a water bottle to get shut up over the Chauncey hiring...Neil I'll bet has called out Quick off camera....the whole Blazersedge meltdown over the Chauncey hiring had a vendetta against Olshey as soon as he interviewed Chauncey...Dan Marang lost his access to the front office and his tv gig...there are a lot of media folks who don't like Olshey from that camp......on the other hand...Neil may have melted down and deserve all this...we'll find out soon but Jody doesn't seem to distant from him at games. Hell Terry Stotts could've called out Neil before agreeing to part ways with the team...after the first round loss Neil probably thought Terry was getting his own job in trouble. It's not the roster!

13. Paine Tablet

Paine Tablet Well-Known Member

I appreciate his directness and I have high tolerance for people who express anger when it is justified. People assume such expressions are undignified but I think just the same for people who channel their anger by other methods such as cultivating witch hunts over mean words.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Orion Bailey likes this.
  14. FlashWad

FlashWad Well-Known Member

Olshey isn't popular here at all but you have to give him credit. He took one of the worst teams in the league for attracting free agents and made a roster that made it to the Western Conference Finals and has been in that discussion for many years. We can't get a decent free agent to save our life and that would be the case with any gm. My biggest problem with him is his refusal to break up cj and lillard. He has been pretty great in the draft also, he had some big misses with Zach Collins ect but overall hes been solid. This offseason he got a lot of flack rightfully so for running it back but people act like hes the worst gm in the leauge and a complete simpleton which downright insane. The grass isn't always greener.

AmirIcon likes this.
  15. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

the owners of the Blazers thought there was enough in the situation to warrant an independent investigation, yet you're calling it a witch hunt. What do you know that the Vulcans don't know?

BBert, GDiama, TBpup and 1 other person like this.
  16. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He's not gone yet?

BigGameDamian likes this.
  17. illmatic99

Not apologizing at all. I kinda wanted him gone all summer since he's so risk averse. But his attitude in interviews and yelling at subordinates are hardly reasons to fire the guy. Lets see what else the investigations unearth.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  18. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

They are reasons to fire the guy if that's not how you want your franchise to be.

TBpup and Minstrel like this.
  19. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Anger and explosions of rage and abuse are not the same.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  20. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    If it means we break up the 6’3 backcourt I hope he’s out. I never wanna see a lineup of 4 6’3 guards again.

Eastoff, BoomChakaLaka and TBpup like this.