Shannon Brown's Dad Says Not So Fast

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">EAST LANSING - A senior season at Michigan State is still very much a part of Shannon Brown's future options.

His father, Chris Brown, made that clear Tuesday, a day after Shannon announced that he was entering the NBA draft without hiring an agent.

"I have mixed feelings on the whole thing," said Chris Brown, a police sergeant in Maywood, Ill. "I really want Shannon to graduate and start four years at Michigan State and so does he, but (the NBA) is his dream. ... He wants to be a first-round pick, and before he goes, we want to hear it from an owner or a (general manager). We don't want to rely on speculation, on scouts and Web sites and all that stuff."

Brown, a guard who averaged 17.2 points a game last season as a junior, has until June 18 to decide to withdraw his name. The draft is June 28. He'll likely stay in the draft if he has assurances that he'll be picked in the first round - which would mean a guaranteed, three-year contract.

But he might not be able to get a definite answer in the next two months. This is the first year of an NBA rule prohibiting players from being drafted right out of high school. That apparently has weakened the draft, but it also has enticed many college players to throw their names into the mix.

MSU coach Tom Izzo and the Browns have tried to get a read on Shannon's prospects since the season ended a month ago, but nothing concrete has emerged. Some scouts and analysts consider Brown a solid first-rounder, and some don't.

"It's hard to find a true 'Where is he now?' ... Nobody has a true feeling," Izzo said of Brown, who released a statement but did not attend Monday's news conference.

"In all my years of watching the draft, and I've been paying attention for a lot of years, this one is wide open," Chris Brown said. "There are a lot of prospects, a lot of guys who can go anywhere. Just look at (Texas guard) Daniel Gibson. A year ago he was (projected as) a top-five pick, and now he's on the first-round bubble."

The Browns are hoping to work out for some NBA teams on the MSU campus and, if possible, in Chicago.

Chris Brown said his son hasn't decided whether to participate in the pre-draft camp June 6-10 in Orlando, Fla. If he's getting strong information that he's a first-round pick at the time, he won't go. If not, he might.</div>

Source

2. Beastin510

Beastin510 JBB JustBBall Member

to me shannon is a definite 1st round pick hes fast, athletic, solid defense and he can fill the seats. He is one of my favorite college players but he needs some work so i would rather him stay in college. He could really help Mich. St. out.