Shaun Livingston possible signing???

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by gatorpops, Sep 20, 2008.

1. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Re: Shawn Livingston possible signing???

I agree that if the Blazers think he has a realistic chance of coming back, they should take the risk.

My big thing with SL, is what will it take to sign him. If it takes a multi-year contract, well the Blazers have been structuring contracts for cap flex next summer. Signing SL to a garranted contract for more than one year messes all that up.

But maybe Blazer switch focus, sign Livingston, trade Raef at the deadline and forget cap flexibility next summer.

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I think you might be overestimating what it would take to put him under contract. Considering that it's still very much in doubt that he'll ever be able to be a productive player in the league I'd wager that Portland has more leverage than Livingston and his agent when it comes to making salary demands -- otherwise it seems pretty likely that he'd have been snatched up by another team already.

Regarding Cap room next year, the length of the contract isn't as important as the per year dollar amount. If he signs for around 1.5 to 2.5 million (which is what I consider a reasonable amount for SL) that still leaves a considerable amount of projected cap room should the team choose to hold onto Raef passed the trading deadline. The worst case scenario is that Livingston and his agent balk at the proposed deal and we've still got 300 point guards on this team next year.

3. The_Lillard_King

Good point. 1.5-2.5 might not hurt the slary cap room. I was thinking he was going to be more than that.

My thought is why would he sign for only that amount if her really felt he was good to go . . . or at that price he might join a team that will give him mins whenever he is ready.

But if his market value is that much, even a multi-year contract might not bother the Blazers (with reagrd to slary cap).

4. Tortimer

Tortimer Well-Known Member

I don't think there is anyway we would pay Livingston more then 2.5 million per year. Maybe if it is a team option for the 3rd year of a 3 year contract at 3-4 million with 1.5-2.5 for the first couple years. It sounds like KP is going to make up his mind in 24-48 hours if he is even going to offer Livingston a contract. Here is a link from rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&id=1044

Shaun Livingston-G- Clippers Sep. 20 - 8:54 am et

Shaun Livingston worked out for the Blazers recently, and GM Kevin Pritchard said that they will decide whether to sign him within "24 to 48 hours".

"I haven't sat down and done all the pros and cons," Pritchard said. "And even if we do decide to move forward, whether a deal gets done or not is another question." The Blazers have one available roster spot, so if they sign Livingston it will mean Shavlik Randolph, Jamaal Tatum Luke Jackson and Steven Hill all failed to make the team.
    Related: Luke Jackson, Shavlik Randolph, Jamaal Tatum, Steven Hill

5. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    For a championship contending team, I think he'd suffer almost any payroll. We Blazer fans are really lucky to have such a great owner.

6. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    What if they go deep in the playoffs, but don't win championships? This is what Dallas and Phoenix have done, and both are now cap conscious.

If it becomes a "win a championship first" situation, contract extension signing time will be interesting.

7. Tortimer

I think if we are going deep into the playoffs and not winning championships PA will do everything possible to add the last piece to get us the championship. I think he wants it that bad. He wouldn't be losing that much money if any. If we are going deep in the playoffs it means we are sold out every game and getting a ton of sponsors for everything the Blazers could think of selling. I think KP is smart and so far has used PA money wisely. PA seems to have a ton of confidence in KP and if we need that last Superstar that is on the market PA will trade, buy or blackmail(j/k) into getting that superstar. PA is the richest owner in sports and doesn't want to lose money but if we are winning and going deep in the playoffs I don't think he would stop because of having a team salary of 150 million instead of 130 million. Some of the Blazer fans don't know how lucky we are to have PA as the owner and KP as the GM.

8. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
  9. The_Lillard_King

Well that would be about 5% of his net worth, so I don't think he wants to lose it.

PA is guy who has spent money on submarines, a fleet of yachats, a rock and roll museum, a space ship and other crazy stuff. He built the Rose Garden after voters rejected the bill to finance one, he then sold it, publically tried to sell the Blazers, then took the Blazers off the market and bought back the Rose Garden.

You never know what PA is going to do . . . but he is a huge NBA fan and he has a lot of money (about 20 billion). So with PA and this roster (and KP runnning the ship or baking the cake or whatever) it should be fun to watch what happens . . . hell give Rudy a max contract while he is at it. :ghoti:

10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

And that should change after this team starts kicking ass and taking names.

11. Tortimer

That was I think for 06-07 season and the Blazers are not losing that much money the last couple years. I actually think we will make money this year. We were almost going to move because of the bad situation with the Rose garden and with the attendance being so bad at the Blazer games. The Rose Garden situation has been fixed and many old and new sponsors have come back plus the Rose garden is sold out now where we had to give tickets away in 06-07.

12. ucatchtrout

ucatchtrout Well-Known Member

That is out of date info. Actually the team was in a situation where we kind of went from first to worst, not only in attendance but revenue.

Even late in the Jailblazer era we were still selling out regularly and doing reasonably well financially. The value of the team was ranked in the top three.

When the bottom fell out, and the team started losing the sellout string came to an end as did a lot of the advertising revenue that the team had relied on in the past. Then we lost the stadium and comments were made about a broken financial model.

It was true.

The financial model was broken. It was based on sellouts advertising revenue and community support.

When the revenue streams dwindled the red ink started to grow.

We've got the stadium back, a new team and renewed community interest.

Things are headed back in the right direction.

Look for the team again to be amongst the top in overall value in the next few years.

13. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Again, I said "championship-contending". We had that situation at the turn of the century and Allen spared no expense on the team. With PA, it won't become "win a championship first". It will even be easier this time as he likes these players.

14. Masbee

Masbee -- Rookie of the Year

Old news. Old news.

You might as well be talking about how great it is to be working for Lehman Brothers as they dish out super generous bonuses.

Yesterday's stories don't always apply to tommorow.

You do bring up a point though, the Blazers are somewhat constricted as their economic model limits the amount of income they can generate compared to teams with larger TV markets, more hometown corporate headquarters, and newer public subsidized more profitable stadium situations.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008