Sheed Drops Bombshell

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trail_Blazer76, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">Ok I take that back. You are clearly not acting.

I never said that it was necessary for him to say that. I simply said that there is some truth to what he said. That is something that you need to accept.

When has Sheed spoken up like this in the past?! He's always done the opposite, and been fined for not saying enough (it's a violation of the media clause to make statements that are too general). Please get your facts straight before posting.</div>

sheed might not of spoken up but his action speak louder than his words, Bitching at refs, threatening a ref in a parking lot, Throwing balls at a team mate...he is A CANCER TO THE BLAZERS, TO THE NBA, TO EVERYONE AROUND HIM

2. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

LOL.

So now you have gone from a resonable debate to simply attacking Sheed. I think this discussion is over.

3. Emo

Emo Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">LOL.

So now you have gone from a resonable debate to simply attacking Sheed. I think this discussion is over.</div>

I would like to know how you can defend someone as crazy and idiotic like Rasheed Wallace?

4. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

im not attacking sheed, i am teling the truth, and i would be suprised if half the members on this site dont agree with me that sheed is a cancer, and ur right this convo is over, i dont feel like getting banned, and i think i have proved my point...and plus i got hw to get to =)

5. ~Fatality~

~Fatality~ JBB JustBBall Member

6. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Laker_Fever_834:</div><div class="quote_post">I would like to know how you can defend someone as crazy and idiotic like Rasheed Wallace?</div>

LOL I wasn't defending him. I simply said that I think it's being blown out of proportion, and that there was a lot of truth in what he said.

7. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

In context, what 'Sheed said does have some truth to it. That's why the players play, and the owners own. People forget that these owners, general managers, and whatnot are BUSINESS people first and foremost. A majority don't care much for the players and they try to take advantage of the players whenever they can. When 'Sheed said, "It's as if we're just going to shut up, sign for the money and do what they tell us," he was telling the truth. The people upstairs think that the players are just their puppets who will do whatever they please. Those guys are the ones with power who pull strings around the NBA. If it wasn't profanity laced then people would put some merit into these thoughts, however, like TB76 said, since it was from a certain person people disregard these statements as fatuous and asinine.

8. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">Stop acting ignorant, and accept the truth people.</div>

Want the truth?

Na, I hurt feelings when I speak the truth :mrgreen:

What Sheed did was a disgrace and was very unethical. Now he will have to sit his a** on the bench and hurt his team again while he serves his suspension.

Really, what else is new?

9. VinnyMack

VinnyMack JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">How is what he said disrespectful? A lot of it was true!.</div>

You must not have read a thing I said. Rasheed and any other black, white green, purple or blue basketball player DOES NOT HAVE TO PLAY IN THE NBA IF IT IS SO UNFAIR. I don't hear them badmouth the league or the white owners when they cash their checks and receive their endorsements.

Lets not get too carried away with the racial innuendos. I did not think Just BBall was about this kind of nonsense.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post"><u>If Tim Duncan had said these things you people would not be reacting this way. </u> </div>

TD would not have said anything like this. He is too classy and appreciative of the privilege it is to make millions of dollars playing a game.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">People are forgetting that the NBA is a business, not a game. If you are a white executive, and you can use black people to make a profit wouldn't you do it? I think this whole issue is being blown out of proportion, mainly because it came from a Blazer's mouth.

Stop acting ignorant, and accept the truth people.</div>

As a white executive, I use everybody that works for me to get the job done and make a profit - white, black, hispanic, asian, whatever. And they all get paid. And they can leave any time they don't like it.

I think you are blowing this out of proportion because it came from a Blazers mouth. Stop acting ignorant and accept THAT truth.

10. jbbKing James

If Duncan would have said this, his image would have been changed and tainted forever.

Easily.

11. VinnyMack

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sunsfan1357:</div><div class="quote_post">In context, what 'Sheed said does have some truth to it. That's why the players play, and the owners own. People forget that these owners, general managers, and whatnot are BUSINESS people first and foremost. A majority don't care much for the players and they try to take advantage of the players whenever they can. When 'Sheed said, "It's as if we're just going to shut up, sign for the money and do what they tell us," he was telling the truth. </div>

You are bringing forward a good idea here Sunsfan. Economics 101. It's just like any job in corporate America - big business says "As ownership, it is my perogative to lead & you follow". The workers do not drive the direction of the company. It's the ownership. The level of success that companies enjoy is a direct reflection of (1) the vision and direction of ownership and management and (2) the quality of work and skill of the employees. How many times have we seen an average pool of talent succeed but a pool of super high talent (Portland) not succeed?

It's not about black and white. It's about the roles. Ownership vs employees. When employees don't like ownership, quit. Go work for someone else. Bye. Go. See ya. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

12. nikebasketball

nikebasketball JBB JustBBall Member

Interesting read Trail_Blazer76.

Thanks for posting it.

13. sunsfan1357

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting VinnyMack:</div><div class="quote_post">You are bringing forward a good idea here Sunsfan. Economics 101. It's just like any job in corporate America - big business says "As ownership, it is my perogative to lead & you follow". The workers do not drive the direction of the company. It's the ownership. The level of success that companies enjoy is a direct reflection of (1) the vision and direction of ownership and management and (2) the quality of work and skill of the employees. How many times have we seen an average pool of talent succeed but a pool of super high talent (Portland) not succeed?

It's not about black and white. It's about the roles. Ownership vs employees. When employees don't like ownership, quit. Go work for someone else. Bye. Go. See ya. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.</div>

Black and white still does play a role, regardless of how many people deny it (this coming from one who is Hispanic). These guys can't just quit, it's not that simple. You think management will let someone like Rasheed Wallace just retire? You better believe they will find a way to force him to play for the team. A lot of times these guys don't expect the NBA to be what it is, by the time they sign their contract it's too late to just walk away. However, what does happen is that they are more skeptical when it comes to their next contract negotiations. They know what to expect and they know what to demand in order to put themselves in a position to gain an advantage on the market. Wallace is just stating that in so many words.

14. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting VinnyMack:</div><div class="quote_post">You must not have read a thing I said. Rasheed and any other black, white green, purple or blue basketball player DOES NOT HAVE TO PLAY IN THE NBA IF IT IS SO UNFAIR. I don't hear them badmouth the league or the white owners when they cash their checks and receive their endorsements.

Lets not get too carried away with the racial innuendos. I did not think Just BBall was about this kind of nonsense.

TD would not have said anything like this. He is too classy and appreciative of the privilege it is to make millions of dollars playing a game.

As a white executive, I use everybody that works for me to get the job done and make a profit - white, black, hispanic, asian, whatever. And they all get paid. And they can leave any time they don't like it.

I think you are blowing this out of proportion because it came from a Blazers mouth. Stop acting ignorant and accept THAT truth.</div>

As a black college student, at an elite predominatly white college, I'll tell you what life is really like. In ANY organization run by caucasians, people like me are viewed as inferior. Why should the NBA be any different? I walk across campus every day and people look at me like "WTF are you doing here?". Yes, the NBA is mostly black, but it isn't run by black people.

What Sheed was saying was very true, he just isn't very articulate. Obviously I could understand what he was saying better than most of you, because I am black. I could care less what team he is on, I would have supported most players who made this statement.

You claim that I am blowing this out of proportion because I support the Blazers. You guys are doing the same because you dislike them. Screw the Blazers, this is no longer a basketball issue. This is a race issue that you cannot relate to.

I'm not getting carried away with the racial issues, the people on this board are just choosing to overlook them.

<font color="Red">Edit: I apoligize for that comment. Fellow staff, when I step out of line like this, edit my posts. I trust your judgement.</font>

15. VinnyMack

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">See this is the kind of crap that I am talking about. White people have never had to experience racism. All you do is sit around and dish it out, refusing to take responsibility for your actions.

Vinnymack, go back to your white collar job, sit at your desk, and look down on niggers like me. View us as inferior. But you better believe that one day, I'll be sitting next to you. </div>

I am experiencing racism as we speak. All I do is I sit around and dish out racism? I view black people as inferior? I look down at n****** like you?

You have a lot of growing up to do. You don't know me from no one. You don't know my religious views. You don't know how I view people. You are the racist here by (1) trying to place judgement on me and you never met me and (2) by calling yourself a n*****. Have more self respect for yourself. Don't make blanket statements about a group of people based on skin color (a generic definition of racism).

What this thread should have grown into was a discussion about the lack of minority-owned sports franchises in all major sports leagues. Additionally, it should have spawned some discussion about the blatent lack of minority coaches and front-office/AD positions at the professional and collegiate levels. Why do we never complain that there are not enough Asian coaches or Hispanic sports franchise ownership? If you think it is a black and white thing, you are being narrow minded.

I love everyone, even my enemies. I hate racism.

16. jbbKing James

I agree 110% with VinnyMack here, and TB76, you need to step off, and I mean step off. You have stereo typed and judged people in these forums long enough. The people who generally cry "racism" are racists.

Send me an IM so we can talk yo.

17. sunsfan1357

VinnyMack: In this certain situation I do believe it to be a solely black and white issue. Rasheed is talking about the relationship between the current front office guys (who are a white majority) and players (who are a black majority). Later on maybe can issues about Hispanics, Asians, etc. arise if someone brings it up, however in this time with this quote it's a black/white thing.

18. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/soni...072_kell12.html

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Doesn't Rasheed Wallace see the empty seats? Doesn't he read about the plummeting ratings? Doesn't he understand that most of those boos he hears from Portland's home crowd have nothing to do with his missed jumpers and almost everything to do with his misconduct?

In yesterday's editions of Portland's Oregonian, Wallace went on a long, ill-informed, expletive-filled tirade about what he considers the ills of the NBA.

He used the most toxic word in American history, a word we only can refer to as the "n-word," over and over again. And he wrongly injected race into a discussion where it was inappropriate, just as Rush Limbaugh did on ESPN, when the panel was talking about Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb.

All Wallace did in The Oregonian was reaffirm his status as the league's leading knucklehead.
    </div>

I'd recommend members have a read of this article - spot on the mark as per usual from Seattle Times columnist Steve Kelley. I know a lot of people like to touch on the so-called 'deeper issues' on the NBA, and I respect that. But Sheed, you are a very highly paid, captain of your ballclub. You owe it to yourself, your organisation, your teammates and the public to act in the right manner when you have something to say, not stupidly blurt out to the media which could potentially disrupt your club even more, especially on the back of the Zach Randolph case. Grow up Sheed.

19. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

Look, as I've said in my post part of what he said was true. But look what happened because of what he said? It became a race issue. Just read your posts in here. It became a race issue. Can you just imagine what happened to the whole league because of what he said?

20. Waneko

Waneko JBB JustBBall Member

If Rasheed's was really feeling like he is seen as inferior, as a black man, he shouldn't have limited it to the NBA. No one is going to feel sorry for NBA players that experience racism because the league has made them rich. Not that black NBA players can't experience it, because they can, but he should have spoken about society in general, rather than singe out the NBA.

As much as a knuckehead that he is, I would gladly accept him on the Knicks. As some others noted in this thread, business is business.