Sheed Drops Bombshell

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Trail_Blazer76, Dec 11, 2003.

1. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

To quote Steve Kelley:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">In Rasheed Wallace's case, silence is golden.</div>

I couldn't agree more.

2. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting VinnyMack:</div><div class="quote_post">I am experiencing racism as we speak. All I do is I sit around and dish out racism? I view black people as inferior? I look down at n****** like you?

You have a lot of growing up to do. You don't know me from no one. You don't know my religious views. You don't know how I view people. You are the racist here by (1) trying to place judgement on me and you never met me and (2) by calling yourself a n*****. Have more self respect for yourself. Don't make blanket statements about a group of people based on skin color (a generic definition of racism).

What this thread should have grown into was a discussion about the lack of minority-owned sports franchises in all major sports leagues. Additionally, it should have spawned some discussion about the blatent lack of minority coaches and front-office/AD positions at the professional and collegiate levels. Why do we never complain that there are not enough Asian coaches or Hispanic sports franchise ownership? If you think it is a black and white thing, you are being narrow minded.

I love everyone, even my enemies. I hate racism.</div>

I don't think that I have any growing up to do, and frankly your religious views are irrelevant to me. I'm not naive enough to believe that the religious are automatically good people (this applies to my own religion as well), but nice try.

Normally I would see no need to prove that I am not racist, but I don't want the other members to buy into your ridiculous propoganda. 1. I am from Bellevue, WA. Home of Microsoft, Boeing, Safeco, etc. It's ALL WHITE. Bill Gates lives there!! I lived around nothing but white people. Yet I am racist? 2. I go to school in Utah, by choice. This school is 0.1% black. My fellow mormons can be just as racist as anyone, but I still go to this predominatly white school by choice.

Stop trying to change my views into something that they are not.

Now you are placing judgement on me.....and you have never met me. Stop being a hypocrite. I have plently of respect for myself, to the point of thinking that I'm better than most people (and no, not because of my race). I have accomplished a lot at a damn young age, don't try and give me lessons about self-respect.

You are right, we should be talking about the lack of black owned franchises. Did you not notice when I brought that up earlier???!! People basically ignored it, so I chose not to pursue that point because it appeared that people didn't understand.

3. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Enough!

<font color="Red">No more personal attacks here</font>

TB76, <font color="Red">let it go</font>, you have more than made your...points.

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

TB76, you are reading into this debate a lot more than you need to be. For one, Sheed is set to be paid a helluva lot of money and he does bugger all to earn it. I don't care whether you're black, white, hispanic or blue and I don't care how you think you are treated - when you are in a leadership position and earning that much then you have a responsibility to act upon that role.

Secondly, regarding racism. I actually find it offensive that a lot of black people think white's aren't qualified to judge about racism, and anything we say in disagreeance is racism. Is that true? Because it's the way you make it sound. I live in a country where blacks have been mistreated to a disgusting level in the past, and I am ashamed of my country's ancestors for it. But that sure as hell doesn't make me a racist if I disagree with them about what is and isn't racism.

Black ownerships, black management etc. Sure, it may look racist on the surface, but that's still a big statement you make. Do you think if a black man and a white man qualified for the same position with the same qualifications the white man would get it every time? I don't - maybe before, but not now. Stop seeing things in a biased view, because that is exactly what you are doing.

You may be black and you may or may not be subject to racism everyday. I am not denying that racism doesn't exist either, but I think you are taking this argument about Sheed completely out of proportion.

5. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

awwww poor baby. maybe if he goes drives his $100,000 car home to his $10million mansion and plays with some of his million dollar toys, he'll think twice about speaking out about this HORRIBLE leagues thats doing so much wrong...blah blah blah...shut up rasheed

6. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

I have to personally say that I agree with Resheed 100%, I just dont agree with the person that said it. I love Rasheed & his energy on the court. But he portrays every image that he says he isnt. The way he acts on the court at (crucial points of a game) getting techs.And the way he acts off court(getting arrested for drug charges) are the reason why the Media portrays young black athletes as dumb. I think if a player with a positive image like say a Ray Allen would have stepped up & made the comments using proper english(minus words like the"N" word & other inncorrect grammer), the NBA & sports word period would have no choice but to take the comments serious. Sheed's image plus the context of his statements allow the NBA & the media to act like points behind his statement are irrelavent. But they are 100%, true. The NBA drafting young players (mostly black) are setting them up for failure in the long road of life. Players dafted out of high school(mostly in inner cities) are not ready to deal with the life experience it takes to be an NBA athlete. They need people around them to guide them thru different experiences. College is the best way to provide that guidence.And the NBA knows this, but they are never going to step in & truly enforce that kids go to college. Young High school players make the NBA to much money. So they(NBA) acts like they wont young players to go to colege. David Stern might go on sports center every now & then to say how much he wants players to mature by going to college.But then the NBA sets its whole marketing scheme & NBA national TV coverage around a High Schooler. A kid from the inner city(once again mostly black) sees Lebron riding around in a hummer & getting more praise than the Pope. And they figure Iam as good as lebron. That could be them on t.v every week making millions. So they dont look at the long term scope of things. David Stern knows that they dont look at what may happen in the future, so he uses this to his benefit. The NBA doesnt peomote the players like Lenny Cooke who dont make it. The NBA doesnt tell these players that the average NBA carreer is less than 6 years. The NBA doesnt tell you that there less than 30 first round picks. That means that less than 30 players will get a legit contract everybody else will have to fight to make the team. And I think that Rasheed coments about blacks in owner ship position was on point as well. Its like a glass wall is up in the NBA & sports in general. Its sad to say but blacks can only go so far in sports. There are a few GM's in the League that are black Stu Jackson, Willis Reed, Wes Unseld etc . But Know owners. The reason for this is because owners hace to much power. A GM makes decision for a team on the court or field. But an owner has an impact on a whole franchise & the city in which that franchise plays. A sports teams usaully generates the most money for the city in which it plays in (more than the Malls & shopping centers in that town or city). So big decisions have to be made so that the Franchise can continue to generate ton of dollars for there particular city. League officals knows this & they have no confidence in people color(sad to say) to make those decisions. So there is a secret glass wall whether people believe it or not.

7. jbbKing James

[​IMG]

These people that are crying and pointing to the media saying that they sre stereo typing and judging these players are doing just that, stereo typing and judging everything else.

Bill Russell went through racism, anyone else that points to that for everything today is just using it as an excuse.

8. Henacy

People that dont think racism & stereo types still exist, dont live in the real world. And need to try & get involved with activties outside the house to get in touch with reality.

9. magicfrankie

magicfrankie JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">Screw the Blazers, this is no longer a basketball issue. This is a race issue that you cannot relate to.
    </div>

It's an interesting discussion, but it doesn't belong on this forum, imho...

Not so long ago a couple of wise men have decided that this should be a bball forum only, and this has not a lot to do with basketball...

10. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

Stern Statement Regarding Wallace?s Comments

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The following statement was issued by NBA Commissioner David Stern in regard to Rasheed Wallace's recent public comments:</div>

Full Story

11. Emo

Emo Active Member

That statement alone by the commissioner proves that Rasheed Wallace will never get any kind of respect from him. Never. Why is this guy still on a basketball team? And how can anybody call this man a professional player? Guys like him should even be fortunate enough when he makes millions of dollars, when there's other people out there struggling to make a living.

12. Henacy

I knew he was not going to dicuss the true statements behind Rasheed's comment. He used Rasheed image to avoid dealing with the point Rasheed was trying to make.

13. ~Fatality~

~Fatality~ JBB JustBBall Member

How can he complain, when people are starving and he is making 18 million dollars a year, to play a game.

14. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Henacy:</div><div class="quote_post">I knew he was not going to dicuss the true statements behind Rasheed's comment. He used Rasheed image to avoid dealing with the point Rasheed was trying to make.</div>

:thumbsup:

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Typical lawyer babble. I don't agree with Stern putting the onus on the Blazers to rectify the situation. It's a touchy subject and has been debated many times for all professional sports. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the new Charlotte Bobcat owner, Robert (Bob) L. Johnson, to have instant success. He is the first black owner for an NBA Franchise and he will set the precedence for future black owners of NBA teams. Is it fair? No. Is it reality? unfortunately yes.

Here's a great article on Mr. Johnson's background:
    http://www.entrepreneur.com/Magazines/Copy...,230526,00.html

16. jbbKing James

Rasheed Wallace does not deserve a point, he has been NBA scum that gives the league a bad name. If he wants to point a finger, point it at himself.

17. Emo

Emo Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Sandman:</div><div class="quote_post">Rasheed Wallace does not deserve a point, he has been NBA scum that gives the league a bad name. If he wants to point a finger, point it at himself.</div>

I agree totally. People like Rasheed are giving bad examples in this league. What if there are some little kids in Portland that want to be future basketball players and they look up to him? Just straight up NBA scum.

18. Henacy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Laker_Fever_834:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree totally. People like Rasheed are giving bad examples in this league. What if there are some little kids in Portland that want to be future basketball players and they look up to him? Just straight up NBA scum.</div>

Nobody is backing Rasheed Wallace as a player or a person. Iam backing sheed's statements in this particular situation. David Stern wants everybody to say Rasheed is scum so he never has to address Rasheed's points. I wish a real reporter Would ask him to deal with Rasheeds comments not Rasheed as a person.

19. Trail_Blazer76

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Henacy:</div><div class="quote_post">Nobody is backing Rasheed Wallace as a player or a person. Iam backing sheed's statements in this particular situation. David Stern wants everybody to say Rasheed is scum so he never has to address Rasheed's points. I wish a real reporter Would ask him to deal with Rasheeds comments not Rasheed as a person.</div>

I agree. Stern is focusing on the fact that Sheed attacked him personally, and choosing to act defensive as a way of avoiding the issue. The lack of regard for the validity in Sheed's statements is Sheed's own fault for creating a bad rep, I awknowledge that. Still as stated earlier, if Ray Allen said this people would take it seriously, and they should do so now.

20. Henacy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree. Stern is focusing on the fact that Sheed attacked him personally, and choosing to act defensive as a way of avoiding the issue. The lack of regard for the validity in Sheed's statements is Sheed's own fault for creating a bad rep, I awknowledge that. Still as stated earlier, if Ray Allen said this people would take it seriously, and they should do so now.</div>

I think that this thread should be close now because right there Blazer 76, that is nothing but the 100% thruth. That statement cant be disputed.