Exclusive Should Blazers try to make the playoffs or rebuild(tank)?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SharpesTriumph, May 2, 2024.

?

2024-25 season Game1 primary objective;

Poll closed Today at 8:18 AM.
  1. Blazers should try to make the playoffs

47.1%
  2. Blazers should rebuild (or tank) for future seasons

52.9%
  1. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

For the start of the 2024-25 season what primary objective do you want the Blazers to take and why?

2. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    I think they should start playing to win. See what the young guys can do. They may not have to try to lose, it may just happen naturally. Cooper Flag would be nice but the odds aren't a sure thing even if you are dead last in the stankings (sic).

UKRAINEFAN, BBert, crandc and 3 others like this.
  3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

If they keep Grant, Ayton & Brogdon, trade Simons and some for a young vet 3/4, they should try to make playoffs. And if they don’t gel and say Shape & Scoot struggle make trades at deadline and Start over. Most tanker teams usually have to start over anway, except a few.

4. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Not to be argumentative, but I would love to see them try to win, minus Ant, Grant, Brogdon and Time Lord. I too would like to see what the young guys can do, but that will only happen if the referenced players are moved for journeymen players on expiring contracts and for draft capital. Then yes, try for the playoffs with Scoot, Sharpe, Ayton and whomever Portland gets out of the draft. That is not tanking, it is rebuilding. Then they will be in position to get a good pick in the following draft as well.

5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

Portland should stop rubbing their groins on the top fence wire, trade away a minimum of 4 of the vets (Ant-Grant-Ayton-Timelord); and lean all the way into the tank until they have collected at least a couple of near-certain future all-stars. That's what they should do; that's what they need to do

but my guess is they will go the opposite direction and lock themselves into another 4-5 years of Olshey-themed mediocrity....then attempt another half ass rebuild in 2028-29 when the plan inevitably fails

6. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    The team has to find an identity. The only way to do that is to play all out all the time. Only then will the FO know what the team’s needs are, other than the most glaring of course.

BBert, BoBoBREWSKI and BIG Q like this.
  7. Hoopguru

At the end of this upcoming draft the team will have 3 young high draft picks which took 3 years to get. So you think we should continue to tank for as long as it takes to get a couple Allstars? Or are you asking for 3-5 all stars? If so that could take another 3-5 years of bottom dwelling survival. Actually probably more like 5-78 years. When Jody and Bert want a 3-5 year plan with defined tactics on how to achieve improvement goals, you are advocating to simply establish tanking each year, to gain at least a few more POTENTIAL 19 year old All Stars?

BBert and Pinwheel1 like this.
  8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Just put together the best possible team while playing the young players. I am in total disagreement with those who think that it will hamper their development if we also play some vets. It is such a long season and none of the vets hampered Scoot or Sharpe from playing this past year. Tanking and their injuries did.

Think about what the Blazers had to do this year just to tank. They not only had to sit their starters but they had to sit their 2nd team as well. That's what it took just to get a top 4 chance with the ping pong balls. Not all, but most of you who want to tank for a few more years are not buying tickets to the games. You are barely even watching it on TV.

I am not saying sign some more mediocre vets and I am not saying keep all the ones we have. But continuing to intentionally try to lose is not a good recipe. Who is Sharpe's agent? Do you think he will be advocating for Shaedon to stick around for that?

BBert and BoBoBREWSKI like this.
  9. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

Go out and give it your all, every season. That is what players are paid to do. We shouldn't ask for anything less. This tank mentality that has seeped it's way into the NBA seems to be teaching players a... loser mentally. Which no team should ever embrace.

BassPlaya, BBert and vrisk like this.
  10. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

the Blazers are a natural tanker. Cronin is sneaky bad, hiring oft-injured players, and maintaning a core unit that's totally cool with milking injuries to improve the ping pong ball.

The NBA season is a marathon. For 2 years we've watched a team win a few games early in the season. Then we watch the guys lay down, especially on defense.

This current roster almost resembles a Chicago Blacksox era.

built by Shoeless Joe Cronin

11. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Tank.

Even if Scoot turns out to be the next Chris Paul and Shaedon the next Clyde Drexler, that's not enough talent to win. We need 2 all-stars and one has to be a big to have a chance to win a championship.

We need more talent.

Pritchslap Madness likes this.
  12. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Win! I feel like the team is losing more and more fans each year we tank. It's time to get back in the playoffs and bring back Rip City!

OR-84 and SlyPokerDog like this.
  13. Predator

Predator The Godfather

We simply don’t have enough talent and I *highly* doubt we have enough *top line* talent (I don’t see Shaedon or Scoot being a #1 option on a championship team) so… TANK CITY.

BonesJones and SlyPokerDog like this.
  14. Hoopguru

The company I retired from had a branch in Anoka MN and I'd go there 4 times a year and always heard if we tank every years we will soon be in the thick of it. Even after drafting their #1 now and their older #1 KAT, it wasn't until they surrounded them with vets that they created an identity and started to win. Even if you establish a team with some seasoned vets and they don't pan out there are still assets that can be traded.

15. Predator

Predator The Godfather

The issue with this is that we weren’t tanking the last 3 years. We were straddling the fence and then decided to tank after half the season (at least).

If we decided to tank from the get go, we may have gotten 1 or 2 of: Paolo, Chet; Wemby, Miller (to a lesser extent), and who knows where we end up this year.

Obviously it’s not an exact science with the ping pong balls, but we have not optimized our tanking which means we endure brutal seasons for an outside shot at the top pick. Not ideal. I’d rather be in the drivers seat if we are gonna suck this bad.

16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Start collecting player DNA so we can clone them. It would be a 20 year tanking process but eventually we will have the greatest team ever.

17. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

There is a difference between tanking and rebuilding. OKC did not tank. They had journeymen vets helping teach the young players they were drafting. They did not have big contracts until SGA signed his much earned extension. They did not have to sit starters to "tank." The youngsters were being relied upon to carry the load as much as they could with vets that did not demand the ball, go iso and not rebound or defend. Portland needs to rebuild. Sharpe, Scoot and whomever they draft should be the focus. Sure, play to win next season. Just do it without Ant, Grant and Brogdon putting up 20 shots a game and doing hero ball. I want to see Scoot and Sharpe with Ayton and new picks out there sprinkled with vets that are willing to defer and teach.

BoBoBREWSKI and BBert like this.
  18. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I voted for try to make the playoffs because I'm tired of the terrible tanking, but the tanking is probably the best bet to put together a winning team.

Another reason I voted try to win is to build a winning culture and an identity. You keep tanking, and sitting guys we should be developing for draft odds, there is no identity, no growth, and a losing culture. Not only is it going to sour players on the roster but further repel free agents from wanting to come here or for the matter players we might trade for. It's a lose lose situation. You gotta finesse that shit.

OR-84, BigGameDamian and BoBoBREWSKI like this.
  19. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yes...because I sure don't see a near-certain all-star in either Sharpe or Scoot; and this year's draft my not add one either

now maybe, 'near-certain' is too high a standard. And maybe, next season will reveal a lot about Sharpe and Scoot...or not. But what is the alternative? Go with Ant-Grant-Ayton and shoot for HCA in the play-in, if lucky? That would be a waste and only serve to dilute Portland's draft pick next season in what is considered to be a much better draft.

OKC's rebuild was successful because they didn't waste seasons straddling fences or dodging the luxury tax. They committed to a rebuild and got Josh Giddey+Chet Holmgren+Jalen Williams PLUS SGA as the core of the rebuild. Again: SGA, Giddey, Holmgren, and Williams. Is Portlnad even anywhere close to 1/3 that 4-core talent with Sharpe and Scoot?

The poll should have 2 options: one is to continue the tank/rebuild in a quest for some elite talent; and the other should read 'give up on rebuilding and instead buy a vacant lot in purgatory'

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    BIG Q likes this.
  20. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Or just find out what public bathrooms mj is using on the golf course

BoBoBREWSKI and SlyPokerDog like this.