Should Chauncey be on the hot seat?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Chauncey should definitely coach the season out. And the fact that I'm hoping we get a good shot at Wembanyama has nothing to do with this ringing endorsement.

2. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    The snark is strong with this one. Lol.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  3. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    not convinced CB could have got the Jazz to where they were before the deadline. personally never heard any national media saying he is doing a good job

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He's the guy for the job dammit.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  5. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

My take on Billups is this -- I am ok with him for more more year but with a one or two new staff that has more of a focus on defense cause right now this team could not stop a college women's team.

Whyachi likes this.
  6. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I still don't know that he's a bad coach. He's said he's learning but last season he was tanking and this season I think we were trying to be competitive but this roster is a terrible fit for just about everything Chauncey has said that he wants to do. Should the guy be more flexible? Probably.

The question I have is has Joe asked him to try and play to the strengths of the roster and Chauncey has refused or Chauncey said he would and hasn't been able to or if Joe has told Chauncey to keep running his system so when they finally have the roster they want the guys that remain don't have to adjust and learn about the things Chauncey wants to do?

If Joe had asked Chauncey to be more flexible and he refused, Chauncey would be fired. If Joe has asked Chauncey to adjust and this is his version of that Chauncey should be fired. If Joe has told Chauncey to keep doing his thing until help arrives then I don't see how it's at all Chauncey's fault and I don't see how anyone can make solid judgments about the coach he is now or the coach he might end up being.

7. RonBrewer

RonBrewer Well-Known Member

LOL @OP.

I'm literally shocked Chauncey agreed to come here. Dumpster fire until proven otherwise.

Yes, he's a good coach.

blazerkor and Whyachi like this.
  8. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

When the season started, Blazers at full strength, Billups was able to coach team basketball and the Blazers went 10-4. The following 3 week Lillard calf injury sent Billups into scram mode, and he's been coaching the narrative ever since. Make it an All-In chuckfest with Lillard/Grant/Simons.

Look at all these amazing offensive stats!

What stat hunters refuse to discuss, is the Blazers Big 3 are all in the bottom 15 of worst rated defenders in the NBA. A lot of guys on this traffic cone defense list are rookies/sophmores. Another glaring difference is minutes played. The Blazers core unit gives up easy buckets almost the entire game.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/worst-defensive-rating-nba-player

9. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Did not realize those guys are that bad. I wonder about this ratings system though. I don't think there is any way that Keldon Johnson is the worst defender in the league. Came out of college rated as a very good defender and then should have learned more under Popovich.

Whyachi likes this.
  10. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

anybody that uses defensive rating comparisons as the primary gauge of defense is off track. They reveal a little but they are primarily about team and rotation

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  11. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I think you could argue that this season and last season are really his "first" season. Last year was not a growing for the future/progressing, etc.

So if you compare Chauncey to Stotts first year, when both teams are changing and what not, Stotts was 33-49, which is (checks match) pretty much the same winning % Chauncey has now.

And Stotts didn't have the benefit of missing Dame for most of his first year, the team totally (and purposely) tanking in his first year, missing Nurk for most of his first year and having injury issues abound.

Not saying Chauncey is great, but it's interesting how many of the people who were happy to give Stotts a massive leash, don't for Chauncey.

12. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

We've seen the Spurs, their guys don't play defense.
    We watch the Blazers on D... it gets ugly

13. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

no doubt

but I'm just saying that defensive ratings are a lot more a team-dependent stat than an individual stat

about the only decent gauge individual defensive ratings give you, IMO, is when you compare a player's rating to the team rating

Whyachi and CJ_is_Gone like this.