Should Houston Trade Yao Ming?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by bballer768484, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Going off topic here, but although Jordan never had a dominant big man in the middle, he'd had solid guys (former All-Stars, All-Star worthy guys) like Horace Grant, Bill Cartwright and Dennis Rodman. Without those guys, Jordan wouldn't have won half the championships that he did.

2. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, this is a no brainer. Yao shouldn't be traded.

1. We've built the enitre franchise around him, and the roster COMPLETELY changed in 2 years.
    2. How will we replace him? Who is a better man to take his place?
    3. Yao has proved a beast in the postseason (.655 field goal percentage, 2.71 blocks, 21.4 pts/game), you take that away and your team will probably be blown out.
    4. This would decrease ticket sales A LOT. Everyone loves Yao.
    5. Do we need to go here?

3. devin

devin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheAnswer2:</div><div class="quote_post">

The more sensible choice. You ALWAYS choose a big man over a guard. You don't win championships without a big *good* big man, excuse Jordan.</div>

Yup, take the Shaq trade last year to the Heat for example. Look at how well Heat did compared to the Lakers last year, a clear example of why you should keep superstar centers and trade superstar guards for another guard. Superstar centers are hard to come by... Lakers should have traded Kobe for Wade... lol

4. ItsShowtyme24

ItsShowtyme24 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bballer768484:</div><div class="quote_post">I truly believe they should so Houston can succeed. Yao is a great player and all, but if they get rid of him it will give the main man Tracy Mcgrady more touches and more shots. So he doesn't have to worry about pleasing Yao and passing it in the post. Tracy will be able to take over games and be the leading scorer in the league again. He is by far the best player on the floor for Houston so why put some clamps on his game by making him give Yao touches. Let Tracy Roam Free!</div>

They shouldnt trade Yao,he is gettin better and better each season.And last year T Mac played very well with Yao there,he avg 26 5 and 5.So i dont think Yao is effecting T mac's game at all.

5. Brasco

Brasco JBB JustBBall Member

I'm not a hater but, remember when everybody laughed this guy off for making this thread, maybe he was on to something?

6. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not a hater but, remember when everybody laughed this guy off for making this thread, maybe he was on to something?</div>
    And I'm still laughing. Seriously, what has changed? Yao is still improving and still an up and coming player in the league. For god's sake he's only twenty five years old and we wouldn't be getting the same value back for him anyways. I mean, give me one possible trade scenario in which we wouldn't be loosing an inside presence or scoring? You'll be hard pressed to find one. You also need to look at this from a marketing standpoint as well. Yao draws in tons of money for the Rockets organization and it would be hard to get that much money with any other player. I mean, he did have the most All Star votes last year. You jump to conclusions so easily, didn't you also say Charley Rosen was on to something as well? Its way too early in the season to jump the gun.

7. devin

devin JBB JustBBall Member

Its not yao that should be traded. JVG needs to do a better job coaching offensively or his job will be in jeopardy. We've rarely passed the 90 pts mark, and never made it to 100 points, and our field goal % is mediocre.

8. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I dont think trading Yao should be an option...he's good player, but his value (from an organization standpoint) lies in his commodity towards China and in marketing the team...

anyway, we just have to accept the fact that Yao is not a superstar...he's a nice secondary player...we're relying way too much on him and expecting him to be the savior of our offense when he doesnt suit that role...we need someone else to average 15 ppg (it looks like Anderson's been filling those points lately) off transition and open jumpers...then once we get TMac back, he'll get his usual 26 per, and Yao can get his 20 per once teams realize we're going to run more plays for other players like Head or Anderson instead of just dumping the ball into Yao every play, even when he's covered heavily by the defense...

9. Brasco

Brasco JBB JustBBall Member

Yao is obviously not working to well in the JVG system he's only had minor improvements, his fg% this year is guard like. Houston's main problem is its lack of role players, Yao could be exchanged for some really nice options for the team. The fact is, I agree with chrales barkley when he says the rox will only go so far as yao takes them, right now Yao is stagnating and so are the Rox.

And its not so early in the season, houston was 16-16 before they started improving last year, this team is nowhere near that record.

10. drunkenbarden

drunkenbarden JBB JustBBall Member

why trade yao? he still has good years ahead hes gonna be dominating later on in his career.

11. dingking

dingking JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bballer768484:</div><div class="quote_post">I truly believe they should so Houston can succeed. Yao is a great player and all, but if they get rid of him it will give the main man Tracy Mcgrady more touches and more shots. So he doesn't have to worry about pleasing Yao and passing it in the post. Tracy will be able to take over games and be the leading scorer in the league again. He is by far the best player on the floor for Houston so why put some clamps on his game by making him give Yao touches. Let Tracy Roam Free!</div>

I should remind you to look at what is the winning percentage of Magics when T-MAC was there. He took over everything in Orlando, but he cant even make the playoffs. Could you please stop making such stupid proposal for the Rockets? They are in a mess already. Don't make them get in trouble deeper.

12. Proz4k

Proz4k JBB JustBBall Member

they sign with Yao for maximum contract last summer, didn't they?

13. jimmy33kb

jimmy33kb JBB JustBBall Member

i still think that the exchanging thing is definitely not good for ROX ,but maybe good for Yao.

14. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yao is obviously not working to well in the JVG system he's only had minor improvements, his fg% this year is guard like. Houston's main problem is its lack of role players, Yao could be exchanged for some really nice options for the team. The fact is, I agree with chrales barkley when he says the rox will only go so far as yao takes them, right now Yao is stagnating and so are the Rox.

And its not so early in the season, houston was 16-16 before they started improving last year, this team is nowhere near that record.</div>
    What about last year? His percentage under Van Gundy last year was one of the best in the league? Wouldn't you say that he worked pretty well in his system last season? Nothing much has changed with Van Gundy's system except for the addition of Swift and Anderson, and well the scoring drought from the role players. Until last night, Howard has given mediocre performances, while throughout the season Swift has been lackluster on the boards. Doesn't that effect Yao's performance? He has little to none help side defense which causes him to pick up a bunch of fouls early going. Now without McGrady, Yao doesn't get the high pick and roll buckets as often (actually, its never). On top of that, the guards have been slow picking up on the fact that if he's established position in the post, they should give him the ball. If Yao gets exchanged for some nice role players, that would end up with McGrady being at square one like he did in Orlando. He needed a legit low post threat down low and has really thrived as a playmaker last season. Take that center away and you lose a lot of double teams which means less open shots for the role players. I agree with Barkeley to some extent but Yao currently isn't built to be the first option on this team. He still needs to develop and until then, McGrady is first and foremost, the number one player on the Rockets.

15. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I think Johnnybrasco has just replaced shootingmachine as the biggest Rockets hater on JBB.

You're praising all these guys like Rosen and the dude who made this thread and saying they were on to something. Were you on to anything?

16. bryce40ww

bryce40ww JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">I think Johnnybrasco has just replaced shootingmachine as the biggest Rockets hater on JBB.

You're praising all these guys like Rosen and the dude who made this thread and saying they were on to something. Were you on to anything?</div>

Old virve's gotta be up there too even tho he doesnt post too much.

17. steam03

steam03 JBB JustBBall Member

wow...this supposed to be a joke or sth?...

no, they shouldnt trade yao.

18. viertelasiat

viertelasiat JBB JustBBall Member

Well i personally would rather have KG than Yao however there is the amount of money the rockets would lose because they lose the chinese market in Yao and that is why it will not happen.

19. l8343

l8343 JBB JustBBall Member

kid,you r not that stupid.tell u wut,if T-Mac is a tower,then Yao Ming is the foundation of this tower.

ppl always concentrate on this tower,its beauty and greatness,but ignore the foundation.ask youself,how u build a tower without the foundation?

13 pts in last 35 secs.That was great performance. Yao scored 27 pts in that game.suppose yao didnt turn up that game.do u think rockets can won that game?

20. steam03

steam03 JBB JustBBall Member

salaries won't match ...