Should the Blazers re-sign Jusuf Nurkic this summer?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mr. Robot, Jan 24, 2018.

1. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Some stats for you. But first, a primer.

Nurk has 30 games above average, and 35 below average. He has 5 above 20 and 4 below 0. You want to know what Marc Gasol's ratio was when he was 23? Too bad...he was a rookie at 24.

2. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

So Nurk barely missed shooting 50% at 6-13, but was better the next game at 5-13 (yes, I get he was more aggressive and got to the line more, but he didn’t “suck” either game). The 6 TO’s in the first game was weak, but the entire team was off, not just Nurk.

3. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Hope he improve a lot Next Season

4. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Hope he's focusing on his post game.

dviss1 likes this.
  5. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    tykendo likes this.
  6. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Sign Nurk for 11 mil. or see ya, whatever. His potential and youth are worth way more in todays NBA. To me, he's a MUST re-sign. But it ain't happening for 11 mil/per. I say see ya to the dude who wrote the article. Plus Collins is NOT A CENTER. His greatest upside for the future is at PF.

Lanny likes this.
  7. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    How many teams with good traditional centers made it out of the first round in the playoffs? 3 out of 8 (Embiid/Sixers, Capela/Rockets and Gobert/Utah). You could probably argue for Aldridge in SA as well, at this point in his career.

How many made the Conference Finals? 1 out of 4. (Capela).

How many made the Finals? 0.

How many in the past 7 seasons have won a championship? 1 (Duncan/Spurs 2013)

The Warriors have 4 centers on their roster (West, McGee, Jones, Pachulia). They basically don't use any of them in the playoffs.

The league really has changed a lot. Teams are generally going to view Nurk as a cog you can use in situations, but not a cornerstone.

Is he even worth as much as a decent (but not great) 3 and D swing man? On a team that wants to win a championship, not really. Maybe for a team like the Nets who just wants to win a few more games and sell some tickets.

He probably has more value to us than anybody else because our back court defense is so limited. But shit, we just got swept in the first round, and we only used him 23 mpg. He's still young and improving, but when you get down to it it's tough to play him against a small ball team in a series. The other team has lots of time to adapt to what he can and can't do.

Reep and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  8. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Maybe 10 years ago. When you look at where the league is going, Collins is a center. Shoots 3's, rebounds, can defend on switches. If he can add some strength, he could be Capela with a three pointer. That's what's winning in the NBA right now.

dviss1, Reep, BBert and 1 other person like this.
  9. AFully22

AFully22 Well-Known Member

I would hardly call Embiid, Capela, and Gobert traditional centers. Tristan Thompson was really the only traditional center to get real minutes from the semi finals on (unless you count Aaron Baynes), and even then he would go complete games without having minutes and I wouldn’t be suprised if the same thing happens vs GSW.

I think not resigning Nurk is equally as illogical as resigning him to a contract over 18 mil a year. Makes no sense to just let him walk but I agree with your sentiment that his ceiling is probably limited by his frame and quickness. Not a lot of people here want to admit that because I think Nurk fever gave a lot of fans a false sense of having a legit 3rd piece.

Zach Lowe and Casey Holdahl have both implied that the front office views Zach as the franchise center going forward and I have no reason to believe that’s incorrect. I think what’s more likely is we resign him to a qualifying offer this year or try and get him on a cheaper long term deal and then deal him for some other piece once Collins proves he’s ready.

10. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Uhhh, no they haven't? They've just said they want him closer to the hoop, that's it.

dviss1 likes this.
  11. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

If you're going to call Thompson a traditional center, then you must also call Gobert & Capela traditional centers.
    These players are there for defense, and rebounding. Anything they provide offensively is a bonus.
    Embiid is a traditional center defensively.
    However his offensive game is not.
    Embiid is more comfortable with his faceup game at this point in his career. Than he is with his back to the basket.(30% three point shooter)
    Embiid is most def slow, lumbering, and bigger than most people he faces.

12. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

Zach is a Center in the future and not a PF imo

13. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

You win in the playoffs with guys who can guard multiple positions. Nurk is not that player

THE HCP, Reep and Labinot41 like this.
  14. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

You don't consider Anthony Davis a good center? It's a very murky line being drawn when you add the word "Traditional". I mean Sabonis was a great center and had an outside shot also. So does Marc Gasol. Gasol didn't make the playoffs but on the Blazers he sure would have.

15. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

Not to try to discretid your point, because I do think it’s valid, but if you’re purely going on who has won championships as your basis for what is successful, I feel like using the Warriors should be an outlier because of the whole super team concept. Our only real hope of winning a championship is to get mega talent to sign here or somehow develop it.

jlprk likes this.
  16. Mediocre Man

Davis is a PF....Isn't he?

dviss1 likes this.
  17. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

The moment a team wins the Championship with a good C, the whole league is gonna be chasing Cs again. It just happens that no team has been able to pair a premier wing with a legit C since Shaq/Kobe or Shaq/Wade. But that's, generally, the best recipe for success in the NBA - (1) a dominant wing and (2) a dominant post. Unfortunately for all the Cs in the league, they have shit at the wing (except PHI - health pending, they're gonna juggernaut...especially if Ben learns to shoot).

18. Mediocre Man

Gobert / Mitchell
    Townes/ Wiggins / Butler
    Adams / George

How did Jordan do with Ginger and CP3?

19. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

None of those C's are 2-way players. That's what the league has been missing.

HailBlazers and blue9 like this.
  20. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Your saying let him walk?