Should the Blazers resign Zach Collins?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SharpesTriumph, Jun 29, 2021.

?

Should the Blazers resign Collins and for how much?

1. Yes, he is worth a multi year contract

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Yes, for the qualifying offer one year $7 million

7 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. Yes, for the veteran minimum

38 vote(s)
    46.3%
  4. No at any price, he is not worth a roster spot

33 vote(s)
    40.2%
  1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I probably have this wrong, but I seem to recall one of the mods on the RealGM trade board a couple of years ago saying that players on their QO can not be combined with any other players in a trade....kind of like a S&T player. Or maybe that was the previous CBA

would be worth knowing if that's true

RR7 likes this.
  2. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Huh. I've never heard that before. Quick search doesn't come up with anything on it. And I can't really remember too many guys on qualifying offers traded.

KristinthBonkers likes this.
  3. wizenheimer

like I said, I'm not even sure that was it. Just remember a mod saying there was a restriction other than player consent on trading QO's

if it's a big enough trade, teams can usually segment different components anyway

might be a team would be willing to absorb Zach's QO for a couple of 2nd's and some cash. Gives Portland a TPE which has decent value

RR7 likes this.
  4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    It would be interesting to know what the prognosis given by Zach's doctors and those the Blazers' undoubtedly employ for their own purposes are for a full recovery by Zach. I know that most folks around here are justifiably down on him because of the multiple failures of the surgeries he's had, but someone above mentioned Ilgauskas as an example of someone who struggled through multiple broken bones in his feet but was eventually able to play healthy for a few years. Obviously, the Blazers are going to make an informed position in deciding what/if to offer Zach an extension.

5. wizenheimer

trouble is, for every Ilgauskas there are dozens of Same Bowie's, Greg Oden's & Festus Ezeli's

6. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    True, but that's why I put it in the context of what Zach's doctors and the team's doctors are saying. It's easy for folks on a message board to offer uninformed opinions as to what the team should do. Olshey has to make his decisions based on hard information and is accountable to Jody Allen for his decisions. Failing to make an offer to Zach, only to see him recover and flourish on a new team in a year or so, or conversely offering him a contract and having Zach never able to play again, have considerably more impact on the team and Olshey's future than we experience for our half-assed opinions.

Hoopguru likes this.
  7. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

We should sign him to an incentive contract.

1000 StormX for every basket made
    2000 StormX for every assist
    3000 StormX for every block

8. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    A different context:
    What is the percent chance that Zach will heal from his latest surgury, and return 90+%, and make a valuable contribution to the team THIS upcoming season?

If you think the number is 60% or higher, you probably give his the QO.
    If you think the number is 30% or lower, you definitely do not.
    If you think the number is 15% or lower, you probably don't give him a contract at all.

I'm in the somewhere between 15% and 30%, so I see if he wants vet. min. (and I consider myself optimistic!)

9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I wonder if StormX is covered by the CBA? Maybe the Blazers have found the loophole to building a Super-team around Dame.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  10. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Fairly-Hard likes this.
  11. wizenheimer

after the initial surgery, I doubt if the doctors were saying he'd need a revision surgery in 4 months

after the 1st revision surgery, I doubt if the doctors were saying he'd need a 2nd revision surgery in 6 months

at this point, I'm guessing the doctor don't really have any clue how Zach's ankle is going to react to 3 surgeries in 10 months

12. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

They could pay him in Bit coin I guess?

Titan and SlyPokerDog like this.
  13. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Something tells me you are right. At least no doctor would tell you they know for sure.

14. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Yup.

15. KristinthBonkers

KristinthBonkers McLovin, Nice!

Crypto Trader/Bartender
    Sam Bowie had a solid 3-year run with the Nets ages 28-30. Ezeli and Oden’s knees were their main issue, not their feet.

BBert likes this.
  16. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

The doctors never thought he'd need three surgeries on the same broken bone.

If he becomes a star on another team then you live with it. History has shown us that's beyond rare. The likely scenario is he is a replacement level player or worse. Go with the odds, not a fear of some long shot upside happening with another team.

17. SharpesTriumph

You can't just look at him like a stock that you pay x dollars and hope for y return.

The problem is there will be more beyond the cost than dollars. A roster spot is one. The game minutes on the court when he does return, similar to Hood last year, which could hurt the teams wins. He will be rusty in the best case. The time coaches and staff have to devote to developing him instead of helping Lillard contend.

I don't see the meager payoff as worth all the risk and costs, including non monetary costs.

jlprk likes this.
  18. SharpesTriumph

I dont see the point, just sign Kanter and he can be traded without shady possibly against the rules agreements. Plus you dont have to worry that someone could change their mind. Or sign none of them and have luxury tax flexibility.

The CBA reduced salary matching rules so it's not that difficult to match salaries.

If we are bringing in a star in a trade we will need to include a starter, so Zach wouldn't help there.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  19. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

There's nothing against the rules of telling a player you're likely to be traded, but this way, you get more $$ this year. I feel pretty confident that was the agreement with Hood opting out and signing a big deal. Pretty sure Meyers knew he wasn't a 10 million a year guy, but Miami wanted him as a trade chip.

Like I said, with Kanter, we have to wait until December 15th. You ideally want a deal done before training camp to have all of th eguys together instead of a mid season planned swap.
    With salary matching, it's still 125%. If we sign Zach, he and DJJ get us to 20. If Zach walks, and we make other free agent deals, we could only trade DJJ as a mid sized salary, which is bringing back about 12 million in salary. I'd much prefer the larger matching ability.

KristinthBonkers likes this.
  20. blazedanugz

blazedanugz Well-Known Member

A friend of mine said he apparently broke it falling at a bar downtown and the bar put it on its IG then took it off.
    My eyes did not see that though