Should the Pack trade Brett Favre to the Jets?

Discussion in 'NFC North' started by Zackman, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

This question is not "will" they trade, it's "should" they trade? The trading deadline is October 18th and the Packers will be 0-5. I say it makes since to get something for Favre rather than just let him get his brains beat in and retire at the end of the season. Plus it would be a great thing for Favre to have a chance to win another Super Bowl. The Jets were picked by many to win it all this year. It may even extend ol' Brett's career a few more years.

It's time for the Packers to move on and begin the Aaron Rodgers era and he's gonna need lineman!

2. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

that is the dumbest idea ive ever heard, how is green bay going to trade the legend of lambeau. Favre is the best way for the packers to win. Rodgers wouldnt have nearly a good of a game

3. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

Depends on the compensation offered

4. J-E-T-S 1083

J-E-T-S 1083 The Original Jets Junkie

personatly i dont think the Jets would trade for a guy who is thinking about retiring this year. and if he was traded which will never ever happen he will definatly retire plus i would lose any respect i had for the Packer organization

5. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Depends on the compensation offered</div>

thats like trading walter payton, you dont trade a legend

6. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panthersare#1)</div><div class='quotemain'>that is the dumbest idea ive ever heard, how is green bay going to trade the legend of lambeau. Favre is the best way for the packers to win. Rodgers wouldnt have nearly a good of a game</div>
    <u>The panthersare#1 way</u>
    Favre plays all year and the Pack goes 6-10.
    Rodgers gets very little experiance.
    Favre retires at the end of the year.
    Green Bay gets nothing for Favre.

<u>The Zackman way</u>
    Thompson trades Favre to the Jets.
    Green Bay gets a 2nd round pick from NY.
    Rodgers gains valuable experiance.
    Green Bay goes 3-13 and drafts much higher next year, maybe first.

7. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

the only thing your leaving out is who is calling the shots for the packers. If Sherman trades away Favre and goes 3-13, he gets fired. If sherman can pull out 7-9 he can stay as coach when he has favre at the helm

8. Bearsfan1

Bearsfan1 2 Time Defending FF Champion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panthersare#1)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearsFan1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Depends on the compensation offered</div>

thats like trading walter payton, you dont trade a legend</div>

Farve is nowhere the level of payton. Walter didnt make deals with the opponent destroying the integrity of the game.

9. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

That is dumbest question I've ever heard. To quote this from somewhere I heard it from..............

We are all now more dumb for having answered this question!!

Especially those biased who think Favre is NO where near the level of Walter Payton. Both are legends on their respective teams. Both have helped bring a Super Bowl. I am not as ignorant(my new favorite word) as some to rate one higher than the other. I rate them at that level of LEGENDS of the GRIDIRON! Both of them!

10. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zackman)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (panthersare#1)</div><div class='quotemain'>that is the dumbest idea ive ever heard, how is green bay going to trade the legend of lambeau. Favre is the best way for the packers to win. Rodgers wouldnt have nearly a good of a game</div>
    <u>The panthersare#1 way</u>
    Favre plays all year and the Pack goes 6-10.
    Rodgers gets very little experiance.
    Favre retires at the end of the year.
    Green Bay gets nothing for Favre.

<u>The Zackman way</u>
    Thompson trades Favre to the Jets.
    Green Bay gets a 2nd round pick from NY.
    Rodgers gains valuable experiance.
    Green Bay goes 3-13 and drafts much higher next year, maybe first.</div>

First off this would make your day if this happen and you dam well no it. To pose a question like this shows that you none other have been praying for this to happen since 1999 when Barry Sanders retired and the Lions had no chance and still can't get out of the hole. Favre and the PACKERS ARE 1 GAME OUT OF FIRST PLACE IN THE NORTH. So lets not throw the season a way with trading,cutting, or benching Favre in the middle of the season. Heavens forbid that the Packers were to catch ONE break in each of the past two games and they would of been 2-1. In the north 6-10 means your contending. Continue to pray cause it won't happen.

11. J-E-T-S 1083

J-E-T-S 1083 The Original Jets Junkie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>That is dumbest question I've ever heard. To quote this from somewhere I heard it from..............

</div>

btw that is from Billy Madison with adam sandler, good movie. i think again that this is kinda ridiculous it will not and should not happen

12. Thoth

Thoth Sisyphus in training

Gotta go w/ jets, porky & panthersare#1 on this.

13. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (J-E-T-S 1083)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (porky88)</div><div class='quotemain'>That is dumbest question I've ever heard. To quote this from somewhere I heard it from..............

</div>

btw that is from Billy Madison with adam sandler, good movie. i think again that this is kinda ridiculous it will not and should not happen</div>

haha thanks I remember now. Great Movie.

Notice that it's 2 fans of Favre's rivals that want and think it should happen. Actually Bearfan neve really said yes but I am assuming so.

14. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

Joe Montana and Bobby Layne are HOF QB's that won 3 world championships with the 49ers and the Lions, both ended they're careers with other teams. There's lots of QB's like Favre with only one championship that finished up on other teams. Joe Namath and Jim McMahon come to mind.

I say it's a win-win trade. Good for everyone involved. Sure a few cheeseheads would cry (And I would laugh at them), but as a GM that's not your concern.

15. panthersare#1

panthersare#1 The GM

Montana had a hall of fame backup. Rodgers is a rookie

16. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zackman)</div><div class='quotemain'>Joe Montana and Bobby Layne are HOF QB's that won 3 world championships with the 49ers and the Lions, both ended they're careers with other teams. There's lots of QB's like Favre with only one championship that finished up on other teams. Joe Namath and Jim McMahon come to mind.

I say it's a win-win trade. Good for everyone involved. Sure a few cheeseheads would cry (And I would laugh at them), but as a GM that's not your concern.</div>

You would be a horrible GM for seeking out that trade.

1. The Season is far from over and the Packers are a game out of first in the divsion with 5 divsion games remaining.

2. The Jets would be stupid for giving a 2nd round pick. Get Favre who'll probably retire at the end of the season and give up a very valuable pick which in your case a 2nd which could be used on a Brodie Cyrole or Jay Cutler for your future.

3. The cap hit wouldn't be pretty for the Packers.

4. You throw a guy who barely beat out Craig Nall for the number 2 spot on the depth chart out there and he'll probably get lit up. You let him keep learning. Give him this year and another training camp to learn the system even better and you might and should get a better result.

5. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! To quote my boy Edwards. Your throwing in the season with Rodgers and go 3-13 which would be accurate. Playing Favre gives you a chance to go 7-9 or 8-8 and maybe make the playoffs and would probably keep you coaching staff so again Rodgers wouldn't have to learn a different system.

17. FLORIDA PACKER

FLORIDA PACKER nfl-*****s member

This has got to be the stupidest thing iv'e ever read! Favre to the Jets gimme a fricken break!

18. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

IF the Packers go 0-5, then its not a bad idea if they get good compensation. Right now it would be stupid, but at 0-5 you are not going to do much for the season.

Say what you like about trading a legend, it happens. Rice got let go from the 49'ers, C. Carter went to the Dolphins, etc.

If the Packers want to be nice to Favre, give him a chance to win another Superbowl. Its not happening with the Pack.

19. porky88

porky88 King of Kings

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vikingfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>IF the Packers go 0-5, then its not a bad idea if they get good compensation. Right now it would be stupid, but at 0-5 you are not going to do much for the season.

Say what you like about trading a legend, it happens. Rice got let go from the 49'ers, C. Carter went to the Dolphins, etc.

If the Packers want to be nice to Favre, give him a chance to win another Superbowl. Its not happening with the Pack.</div>

Again if we're 0-5 but if the leader of the North is 1-4 then I say no again. I understand trades happens but not during the middle of the season. Not sure when the trade deadline is up I think end of Oct. You never give up on your season until your offically elimanated.

Lions a stellear 1-2
    Bears the same
    Vikings 1-2 and looking sloppy against the Falcons.
    Green Bay 0-3. If GB wins next week then the divsion has 4 teams all with 1 win assuming the Falcons were to beat the Vikings. Even if the Vikings were to win with all the games left in the divsion and the Packers would be only a game out of first. You don't do this trade. You guys keep mentioning the Legends that were traded.

Dan Marino and John Elway are 2 guys that play the QB and stayed with their respective teams at the end of their careers. If Favre came out and seeked a trade then you can go for it but if he wants to stay in Green Bay which he wants then their not gonna trade Brett Favre. Keep hoping your Lions,Bears, and Vikings fans. It won't happen in the middle of the season. Again this is the dumbest question I've ever seen.

20. Zackman

Zackman The Historian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vikingfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>IF the Packers go 0-5, then its not a bad idea if they get good compensation. Right now it would be stupid, but at 0-5 you are not going to do much for the season.

If the Packers want to be nice to Favre, give him a chance to win another Superbowl. Its not happening with the Pack.</div>
    Finally somebody sharpe enough to read what I wrote! I said they'll still have time before the trade deadline when the Pack is 0-5, which they will be. At that point you take what you can get for a guy that will retire at the end of the season anyway. If a team like the Jets are in the thick of it, you may get more for Favre than you think. Plus a 2nd round pick for a Super Bowl win is a bargain. Who knows, maybe another contenders QB will go down and teams will bid him up. He ain't staying with this group of keystone cops anyway. Give him one more shot at a Super Bowl run ... it's the right thing to do.