Should we retire the jersey #15

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by dothehustle, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Mr.Wade

Mr.Wade JBB The Canadian Dream

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Atlanta has gone 10 years without a true franshise player and they're still around.</div>

Not sure what you call 'Nique...

But anyway, Atlanta keyword has SURVIVED the past 10 years. They aren't profiting, they don't have many fans, infact it's proven that most ATLers don't even like the Hawks or watch them. They watch the Braves and Falcons. The Hawks take a backseat because they have no names, noone to watch, and their team is a perennial losing team.

You think people wanna see Michael Vick, or Al Harrington playing in game everyone knows they will lose.

If not for Vince, we wouldn't have been able to compete with the Leafs, and we never will but we wouldn't have stood a chance.

Now I don't like Vince, and I don't think we should retire his jersey, but you can't ignore his impact. And then can't ignore his downfall.

2. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

I know many Canadians that hate hockey...

3. og15

og15 JBB *********

lol about Atlanta, do you realize that their fans cheer for the opposing teams many times? lol, that's gotta be the worst thing ever, you don't even have real home court advantage outside of not having to travel and the slight fatigue factor.

4. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AirJordan:</div><div class="quote_post">I know many Canadians that hate hockey...</div>
    Count me in.......

5. dunksworth

dunksworth JBB JustBBall Member

^ me too.... damn Canadian media trying to force that crap down our throats!

6. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr.Wade:</div><div class="quote_post">Not sure what you call 'Nique...</div>

I call "Nique" traded during the 93-94 season. Its 2006...thats 12 years.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr.Wade:</div><div class="quote_post">
    But anyway, Atlanta keyword has SURVIVED the past 10 years. They aren't profiting, they don't have many fans, infact it's proven that most ATLers don't even like the Hawks or watch them. They watch the Braves and Falcons. The Hawks take a backseat because they have no names, noone to watch, and their team is a perennial losing team.

You think people wanna see Michael Vick, or Al Harrington playing in game everyone knows they will lose.

If not for Vince, we wouldn't have been able to compete with the Leafs, and we never will but we wouldn't have stood a chance.
    </div>

Ya but Toronto isnt that way. We were doing very well before Vince...we were doing very well while Vince was injured 75% of the time. We're doing very well after Vince.

We dont have to compete with the Leafs...Toronto is a diverce city and Canada a diverce country. There are lots of people who dont prefer or even like Hockey....some turn to basketball. Toronto is a terrific sports city no matter what you're playing, we'd be here thats for sure. Its been 10 years and so far we've had Vince, Tracy and Bosh, i'd say we're doing pretty good for finding talent. You saying that we'd be gone without him isnt just wrong...its insulting.

7. asdf

asdf JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hustler:</div><div class="quote_post">Count me in.......</div>

The worst part was during the NHL lockout when Sportsnet, TSN and all of the other Canadian "sport" channels where practically doing a day-by-day countdown for the lock-out, even if there was basically no progress made for that day. That really pissed me off.

8. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    The worst part was during the NHL lockout when Sportsnet, TSN and all of the other Canadian "sport" channels where practically doing a day-by-day countdown for the lock-out, even if there was basically no progress made for that day. That really pissed me off.
    </div>

Don't worry, you weren't the only one that was pissed. I only like the score, they have an unbiased view and tend to evenly distribute the highlights of the NBA and the NHL. It's frustrating to watch Sportsnet, which does NBA highlights for 3 mins (even for Raptors games) and spends 15 mins analyzing one hockey game, and the team wouldn't even be the leafs.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    We dont have to compete with the Leafs...Toronto is a diverce city and Canada a diverce country. There are lots of people who dont prefer or even like Hockey....some turn to basketball. Toronto is a terrific sports city no matter what you're playing, we'd be here thats for sure. Its been 10 years and so far we've had Vince, Tracy and Bosh, i'd say we're doing pretty good for finding talent. You saying that we'd be gone without him isnt just wrong...its insulting.
    </div>

I agree with that. I know A LOTTTTTTTTTT of people that don't really follow hockeys and are basketball fans....and I'm proud that we have sold out games even in the midst of losing seasons.

9. a13x

a13x JBB JustBBall Member

ditto on the hating the lockout coverage. When i saw "cold war: day 107" line up across the screen i thought it was time to give it up. They had a stupid pannel every frigging day to cover what amounted to no news. And yes, the score is the best sports network going - their coverage was by far the closest to being in line with what was actually happening instead of trying to broacast european super league hockey (again, give it up).

TSN is the worst IMO they really give no significant coverage to the raptors at all outside of big games - basketball is always #2 on their highlight reel or lower. And nothing kills me more than when the crappiest hockey play of all time gets highlight of the night over way better basketball action.
    rebound goal = highlight of the night
    360 3-point line dunk = not even top 5.

10. AirJordan

AirJordan JBB JustBBall Member

i dunno about u guys but all the goals in hockey look the same to me

11. TorontoRaps

TorontoRaps JBB JustBBall Member

I think it should be done. I hated Vince for a long time as well. But I belive he deserves it and it gives our franchise some sort of historical significance. I dont believe we've retired any numbers yet to my knowledge. This should have also been made a poll. Theres so many responses to get a census.