Notice SI: McCollum for Wiggins Trade Should but Won’t Happen

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Nov 2, 2017.

1. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    What a smart and concise post.

Kudos.

:cheers:

dviss1 likes this.
  2. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

What I'm trying to figure out is how we have two smallish guards with good handles, who list scoring as their strength and they can figure out how to evade defenders or avoid traps--and not dribble ball out of bounds.

3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I don't think this is a bad idea at all.

Minny is 5-3 with 2 of those losses being blowouts when Butler was out.

The problem is Minny probably won't do it. Thibs signed Teague to be his PG and I don't think they want another PG.

If Thibs did want to go with a smurf back court, he could move Butler to SF, Wiggins' spot.

Wiggins is only 22 and has a ton of upside still.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  4. Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds Active Member

Didn’t read the article, CJ is a top 5 SG in the league so Wiggins + what?

Wiggins isn’t even close to CJ in value.

BrunoSOC, dviss1 and SIeepwalker like this.
  5. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

So we should make this trade because Wiggins is taller than CJ? because that's the only advantage he has.

dviss1 likes this.
  6. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Our biggest weakness is defense. Wiggins doesn't help our defense. He makes it worse. No thanks.

BNM

7. Boob-No-More

Also no thanks to trading a guy who led the league in FT shooting for a guy who is currently shooting .558 from the line.

BNM

BlazerWookee, dviss1 and BBert like this.
  8. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Almost all of Wiggins' value comes from his ability to draw and make foul shots. He's struggling to hit them now but it's early.

Besides size, its literally the only other advantage he has on CJ.

9. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    When you break it down like that you can do the same thing for most teams with their 1/2 options as PG/SG. Dame avgs 6.2 assists in his career he moves the ball a lot, he just also shoots a lot as well and when it gets into "crunch" time he will ISO the hell out of the ball. CJ on the other hand does not pass as much and plays a much different role on offense, both are also fine playing off the ball.
    There D is bad but i'm not so convinced that its purely on them, Stotts "funnel" D is all about letting the ball get into mid-range and forcing contested 2 instead of 3's and points in the paint. Unfortunately we have seen that without both a PF and C that are above average on D and can switch this does not work out but Stotts still runs it that way.
    Dame and CJ are similar in a lot of ways but I think its the same if you look at most pairs of PG/SG's in the league as the positions are very similar in todays NBA.

10. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    If Wiggins was a good defender then this trade would make sense, Wiggins can get there he just isn't at the moment. The only way i'd make that trade is if I think Wiggins has more value to NO then CJ because if NO keeps sucking they are going to have to blow it up and i'm calling and offering everything under the sun for AD.

11. Boob-No-More

Wiggins currently making 3.7 FT/G to C.J.'s 3.3 FT/G.

C.J. currently making 2.9 3FG/G to Wiggins 1.6 3FG/G.

C.J. TS% = .565
    Wiggins TS% = .500

Sample size too small? Last season:

C.J. TS% = .585
    Wiggins TS% = .534

C.J. is, has been, and most likely always will be a much more efficient scorer than Wiggins.

I understand why some people (not me) think we should split up Dame and C.J., but this trade actually makes us worse. Wiggins would be an upgrade over Mo at starting SF, but not enough to justify the huge downgrade at starting SG.

And my biggest objection is Wiggins does nothing to address our biggest need - defense.

BNM

12. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Quit thinking it would be CJ for Wiggins straight up. I'm sure others would be involved.

Orion Bailey and TBpup like this.
  13. SynTax

SynTax Well-Known Member

What? How is anyone for this? Wiggins is awful. He's a terrible 3 point shooter who likes taking long, contested shots, hates passing, and doesn't care even a little bit on defense. People complaining about Lillard/Cj defense and being for this are crazy. He makes last years Dame look like Tony Allen. I watch this guy a lot (big KAT fan), and he's just as bad if not worse than all the advanced stats show him to be. The Blazers would be worse off now and going forward.

14. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

If the Wolves don't want to pay Wiggins, maybe we could offer Harkless,Swanigan and draft picks for him.

but imho i can't imagine how Wiggins can take us to the next level even if he's next to CJ and Dame.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  15. Boob-No-More

Agreed. We'd go from two weak perimeter defenders to three. Not seeing how that helps.

And, when his extension kicks in, he'd be yet another max contract player. Next year we'd have Dame at nearly $30 million, C.J. and Wiggins at a almost $26 million each and Turner at $18 million, That's almost $100 million for those four, before Nurk gets his extension and you factor in the other 10 players. We'd be in luxury tax and repeater hell for the foreseeable future.

Given the financials, I think Neil passes on Wiggins straight up for Meyers Leonard. That's how bad Wiggins' contract is - especially when lumped in with our other big contracts. Plus, i'm not even sure that, or any trade not involving a third team massively under the cap, is even possible. MIN is over the cap and Wiggins' contract has the same Poison Pill Provision C.J.'s had when he signed his extension.

Which means even C.J. straight up for Wiggins is not possible until next summer. Which also answers the real question of why this trade won't happen. It's not possible.

BNM

Darkwebs, BrianFromWA and Blazers Roy like this.
  16. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I mean, I wouldn't be against it... but we would need something more. Idk if Minny has something more to add to the deal, maybe Muhammad?

BigGameDamian likes this.
  17. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Thank you. It's weird that more people don't pick up on that. "WTF Neil, trade CJ!" Well, it's nigh-on-impossible to do this year.

Dame, otoh...

riverman and Darkwebs like this.
  18. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same sort of thing. We wouldn't be able to do that until December 14th though, apparently. I hope Niel has at least considered it, even though I don't think I would pull the trigger. Tough call.

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Wiggins is not the answer.
    Lateral moves are no longer the answer now.

One more major upgrade without depleting the bench and we are contenders.
    We need to make a trade to get rid of Meyers for a 2nd round future pick.
    Take that pick and pair it up with Vonleh and Aminu, laymen and napier and whatever other picks it would take and make a move for a draymond green type of player. the glue guy in the PF spot. Not sure who that is though.

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't see any trade for CJ that we'd make around the league that would boost this season for us unless Kawai Leonard, Giannis or a comparable player was involved...and I don't see that happenin'....we don't need a big...we could trade Mo and Meyers anytime though.....

Orion Bailey likes this.