Simmons Bonanza

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Dec 10, 2021.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

maybe some incentives involved. Ain't no way he's hitting em this year whatever they could be so it might be the lower number

2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Totally, I mean people are really piling on. I'm not arguing that this terrible year that he's had isn't extremely troubling and calls into question his future. I am just pointing out that outside of this year (I consider the Atlanta series part of this last year) the guy has been a competitor. So a guy that's given it his best over the previous four seasons, in my opinion is a pretty solid bet to come back and give it his best again. I guess we'll see. I think all of these guys are consistently self righteous pricks to be honest with you, including Reggie who does it low key to a lot of players, while Stephen A. and Perk are just outright assholes to just about everyone that isn't dotting ever i and crossing every t by their standards. These guys all have reputations, Reggie's for keeping it real and the other two for being blatant haters.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

if you're waiting to sign the 6th pick, then that's next season and Simmons is at 35.45M. And the 6th pick around 6.5M

Bledsoe + 6th pick = 25.8M...approx.

Now, if Portland has Simmons, I do not see any compelling reason to keep Winslow. Those two players are kind of redundant, especially in the perimeter shooting flaw.

Bledsoe + 6th pick + Winslow = 29.9M ---> X 1.25 = 37.37M. Trade works

so does Bledsoe + 6th + Keon for that matter, if you prefer Winslow

RR7, CJ_is_Gone and blazerkor like this.
  4. blazerkor

He sure has never seemed indifferent while playing defense. That dude is intensity personified on that end of the floor. He will lock down more all star players than anyone else in the game. So I just think taking measure of a person when they are eighteen and then during their darkest hour (this last year) is not necessarily a good way to prognosticate what they might be in the future. The four seasons he played in the league and his one season he played in college have shown a solid competitor. For me they outweigh this last year and that doc but I get it if you see risk because his behavior this last year definitely is troubling. I guess the question is, does that behavior outweigh what he's done throughout the rest of his career when trying to figure out what he's going to do going forward?

brooklynballer and Idog1976 like this.
  5. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

it's just funny. i talk about dodging a bullet on one end then consider trade offers to give up the most valuable lottery pick we've had since Dame for the guy.

suppose that explains how desperate i am. given where we are, we have to take some risks to improve. Simmons probably qualifies.

brooklynballer and RR7 like this.
  6. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Count me as one who wanted him. I liked what he brings to the table....a PF that can cover anyone, rebound, and can help initiate an offense.
    But when having a bad back and mental health issues is the preferred excuse for bailing on his teammates......I may have to change my vote.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    AmirIcon likes this.
  7. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Honestly, he deserves it. He fucked up by sitting out for Philly. He kept bitching about getting traded, then does, and is nowhere to be seen when it comes to the most important part of the season... the Playoffs. If we thought he was fragile before, how about now when all the greats are ragging on him?

I would say that giving the 6th pick in the draft for a guy who basically makes 40 mil a season and has nowhere to be seen is way too much of a risk but it would have to be Dame to vet the guy anyways if we were wanting to trade for him.

8. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    The risk is way too big now. You can get a superstar with the 6th pick in the draft. Dame would have to vet him before any deal could be made. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't trade our pick for him. But if there was a way to send enough assets to Detroit (not including the lotto pick), for them to send Grant to Brooklyn and Simmons to Portland, that would be more palatable. His value is in the toilet.

9. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

My guess, looking at it, is, he signed for 5/177 initially. But then made all nba 3rdbt team, which boosted it to 5/190. I bet BBref never adjusted.

10. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Never wanted him. Don’t want him. He’s a flake. Quit on college team. Quit on Sixers. And clearly isn’t all in the Nets. Who would ever want this princess on their team?

BBert, Wade Garrett and Kano John like this.
  11. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    If there is one person in the league who can reach Simmons it's Dame. That said, it might just be Simmons is one of those weird people who have all the talent in the world and throw it away. I would definitely trade #6 (if it lands there), Bledsoe, and either Keon or Winslow if the Nets would do that. It's a dice roll, but so is the #6 and I highly doubt at 6 we get a guy with higher upside/floor than Simmons. Now if that pick jumps to top 2 to 3 I want to try and draft Jabari Smith and would likely take him over Simmons due to salary and attitude. If you can't get Smith I think Simmons is a better bet than anyone in this draft right now. That doesn't mean someone from this draft won't end up being better other than Smith, it just means things get much murkier about that possibility other than Smith in my mind.

brooklynballer likes this.
  12. wizenheimer

that's what I have thought in the past, but he's not a miracle worker and that's what it might take with Simmons

Natebishop3 likes this.
  13. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    It's definitely a high risk, high reward gamble.

14. blazerkor

Can you explain the "Quit on college team." part for me? I don't remember well enough, so I went back and looked and the guy played in every game that his team played the one year he was there. Is it because he played so poorly in their second game in the NIT?

15. blazerkor

What miracle needs to happen? I think it would be a miracle if Simmons never played at the highest level he's already played at in his career again... that would be a miracle. It just makes sense that after this terrible year he will come back and be at least the player he was. If the team that he comes back to gets him to buy into a role that's a hybrid of what Dray and Giannis do instead of being the PG, I think they'll get way more out of him than he's ever given. I honestly think that is the most likely scenario. I think him never playing again is the least likely scenario. I think him coming back and being worse for the rest of his career than he has been at his best is just about as unlikely. So you're going to get an all star, all defensive, all nba level player that is at a very malleable point in his career.

There is some risk that he just never comes back and is totally mentally defeated with no hope for anyone to help him out of that hole... I just think that risk is extremely minimal but is being so overblown right now that you could acquire a soon to be 26 year old all nba player who last time he played was runner up DPOY. A guy who rebounds, defends, passes, dribbles and finishes at the whole at an elite all nba level and is 6'11" with a 7 foot wingspan, weighs in around 240 and is an athletic freak.

I'll take the minimal risk of him never overcoming what he's going through because the reward and likelihood of the reward are both so great.

16. wizenheimer

Simmons is an Australian from Melbourne, a city of 5 million. He spent one year at LSU and then, 5 years in Philly and now a few months in NY. He has no connection at all to the West Coast and even less than that to Oregon

and of course we have the arc of his career since the playoffs last season. So yeah, I think it might take a miracle to get Simmons to buy into Portland and maybe another miracle to keep him bought in for 2 or 3 years

oldmangrouch likes this.
  17. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

Ben Simmons needs this guy
    upload_2022-4-25_19-50-40.gif

Idog1976 and wizenheimer like this.
  18. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: New Orleans should trade Zion for Simmons. LSU was probably the last team whose supporters don't feel shafted by Simmons, so it'd be a homecoming of sorts. And Zion alongside Kyrie and Durant would be amazing to watch - for all of the 3-5 games they were healthy/active at the same time.

Right now New Orleans is starting Jaxson Hayes and doesn't have a real PG - they actually really need Simmons. Zion can't play alongside Valanciunas, and he's one of their most important players in their current good streak.

19. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Honestly, I'm kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop. Right now, the Nets are being real good about showing a united front, but once they get bounced from the play-offs and the recriminations start somebody will break rank and tell us what really went on with Simmons.

Would it really shock anybody to hear that he was physically able to play?

20. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    They're basically already saying it was a mental health issue.