Simmons Bonanza

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Dec 10, 2021.

1. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

2. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    It doesn't shock me that much that some posters still consider Ben. 'If' he can get back to where he was just a season ago before one Playoff series, he is a bigger talent at areas of need than Portland could get anywhere else for anywhere close to the price.
    If he was uninjured, and back to being mentally strong, it would take way more than what we have to give.
    With risk, comes possible rewards. But there is no guarantee, and that is what some fans seem to want. That is fine, but that type of guaranteed talent isn't available to the Blazers.

Wizard Mentor, RR7 and blazerkor like this.
  3. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

It just took him five seasons of playing his ass off and constantly being put as second fiddle to Joel, who isn't the most gracious of first chairs and then feeling like he was thrown under the bus (whether accurately or not) by Joel and Doc for him to throw that so called hissy fit or more accurately have a crisis of confidence that Joel and Doc handled like hard liners instead of finessing. I'm not taking all of the blame away from Simmons but he had help separating himself from his team and did so after being there for five fucking years.

So many people give zero weight to those five years and only weigh the last year (still hasn't been a full year since the beginning of the Hawks series). I think that it's really unwise to throw out a five year history and only look at the last year. It's called recency bias.

Idog1976 and TBpup like this.
  4. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

No, it's called selective reasoning on your part. The indications were already there prior to the past year, with Simmons being afraid to take 3-pointers. As soon as that trepidation spread to other spots on the floor, dude was cooked.

5. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

People criticized Olshey for not taking risks. This is a risk that would drastically improve our team if it paid off. Look at Kawhi in 2018. He sat out most of the 17-18 season even though his teammates believed he could play. The Raptors took a risk and traded their best player for one year of Kawhi and ended up winning the 2019 title.

blazerkor and TBpup like this.
  6. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    Ben Simmons is one of the most unique players in the league and would give us something most teams don't have. A 6-11 guy who can play the point and play the best man to man defense we've ever seen. All that is enough to not write him off completely. I'd still rather roll the dice on him than someone safer like Jerami Grant.

Idog1976, KSF-ERIC, RR7 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Me too

8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    He plays the injured list best lately.

9. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    I would absolutely do that trade. Do you mean no way the NETS do it? Because that was my question to BlazerKor, I have a hard time believing they sell that low on him even with all the stuff swirling around him.

TBpup likes this.
  10. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor
    Damian Lillard too. Guess we should trade him.

11. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Yeah, because those two guys are like twins when it comes to work ethic and long term health.

12. AmirIcon

Writer, Director, Actor
    Except you're changing the topic because you couldn't defend your statement. Is it about being on the injured list or is it about work ethic?

What does long-term health mean? Both Lillard and Simmons have been mostly durable during their careers.

13. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    I already said I'm hella low on him compared to where I was (Simons or CJ Plus 3 firsts), but Hart and a pick in the teens? You roll the dice on that because the upside is enormous (Championship contender if we get Simmons from 2 years ago or any other point in his pro career) and the downside is basically we lose some minor assets and remain mediocre.

TBpup likes this.
  14. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    You never say anything in a good way.

wizenheimer likes this.
  15. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    Right. People don't seem to understand IF you want to try and win in Dame's prime we either need to win the lottery and then pick correctly and then get decently lucky in a trade/FA situation or go for a swing for the fences move that has both huge upside and huge downside. I mean if ya'll think we can trade Hart and the 16th for Giannis then yeah, sure that's better. We can't get anything but scrubs for that kind of value OR a guy who at least has the known upside who's value is at an all time low. I have come down like 2-3 tiers in my evaluation of Simmons, but he's still an elite talent assuming he recovers from the surgery and obviously gets his head right. There is a risk a very definite risk this is a Larry Sanders situation.

I will admit I can barely comprehend how someone could be offered the salaries these guys make and not put in the work and have the DESIRE to put in the work. My god if I could drop my brain into Simmons body you better believe I would and I'd force a trade to Portland too. A big part of this for me is I can scarcely imagine that he might actually be truly ready to quit on this sport with that level of talent. It's quite literally almost incomprehensible to me. That said, I have come around that it's a very real possibility.

16. Idog1976

I look to the stars.
    Yep and lots of folks said Kawhi was quite possibly done at the time and to absolutely not trade CJ++++ for him. I remember it well.

TBpup likes this.
  17. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

100%

Idog1976 likes this.
  18. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'