Zombie Simons, 35 games In

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by wizenheimer, Jan 5, 2020.

1. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Agree! Give the fans what they want Stotts.

2. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    (Pre tank.) Play him more but teach him the lost art of defense so he can offer that skill to his paycheck.

3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Great!

4. kjironman1

This is an odd statement? I'll explain it to you. The Blazers picked up his team option for 20-21 on Sept 24th of 2018. Just so we are clear here 20-21 is NEXT year.
    The Blazers have the option to pick up an additional year 2021-22 (That is the year after) not the next 6 or 7 years.
    Now because they drafted him they have full rights on the player. Just like every team in the NBA has on every player that gets drafted. Now if what you are talking about is his "RIGHTS" as in Bird Rights. Then if they keep him they will never lose those rights. Bird Rights allow a team to go over the cap to sign the player. Now if you think 1M is worth trying to keep while they are paying three other players 80% of their cap then i guess that is what you believe. Now if you think they need to trade CJ so 1M can play then that is good also.
    But to say they have his "Rights" for the next 6-7 years seems like an odd statement at best. That is all the more work i am going to put in to explain it to you.
    Here is a link to the CBA
    https://nbpa.com/cba
    Put some time in and study this and then you will know what can and cannot happen. Takes some time but you seem like you spend enough time on here to get into it. I don't use my time like that any longer. But at times knowing where to look will help you answer some questions you might come up with.
    Now as far as Blazers team payroll goes here is another link.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/POR.html

5. kjironman1

By the way it's getting close to a new CBA time. Wonder if there will be a strike year? I guess either side can opt out after 22-23 season?

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

When he talks about the Blazers having his "rights" for 6-7 years, I'm pretty sure he's referring to Simons' eventual restricted free agent status, which basically keeps the Blazers in control of his next contract unless he decides to take the 1-year QO rather than actually sign an offer sheet.

Yes, it's not a completely accurate assessment, but it's not too hard to figure out what he meant.

GDiama, AldoTrapani and hoopsjock like this.
  7. kjironman1

The Blazers could be "in control" as long as both parties agree period. That could be his entire career.
    The entire point is being diminished here. It's why i don't get into these conversations.
    My opinion is they will not keep him unless they get rid of CJ. If they keep CJ he will be moved.
    Lets be clear here.... This is my opinion. I just don't think they will keep a back up SG like that? I very well could be wrong here.

8. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

that’s exactly what I mean. And I’m sure @kjironman1 knew what I meant he’s a smart guy

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  9. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    The Blazers don't have to worry about re-signing Simons until *after* the 23 season. And I'm all but certain they're going to keep him in that time barring a no brainer trade.

10. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Nope 2022

kjironman1 likes this.
  11. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

I had no expectations for him to "arrive" anywhere, simply to take lumps and make some jumps. Has there been more lumps than jumps, perhaps. But I would have been more shocked for him to live up to "the hype" at this age/stage than for him to be really inconsistent.

Production, no (didn't expect him to be relied upon or reliable). Efficiency - somewhat, I always thought he was a great shooter so for the most part I don't have a problem with him shooting with confidence. However there has been some reflections of meJ in his game that is discouraging (If you collapse the defense pass the ball and be prepared to do so/aware)

Cringe.

hoopsjock likes this.
  12. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

I don't evaluate a player until his 3 years that I expecting more out of a young player. What he does this is gravy to me because he learning how to play with the big boys. Simons did have a little slump there for few weeks but lately been solid on the offense. Defense is in works but he actually try to play that end of the court. We he gets stronger they won't be able to bump off his defense spots. But there a lot I like about kid. I believe he going be a decent rebounder for his position. I also what I like when he makes his move he gets down quick to basket. Not a lot dancing like CJ does. He might in few years he might be better then at that 2 spot I also believe he not really a point guard I think his best position will the 2.

HailBlazers and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  13. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
  14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Trade bait.

15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Summary: "If he were a completely different player, he'd be great!"

16. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Something tells me he will be part of a package to get a player that is more defensive minded.
    Could be wrong of course. He might be the player that works hard and excels? Nasir Little could be as well.

Watching the Bucks and Pat Con makes me think at some point the Blazers need to start keeping guys that show talent and start developing those players a bit better.

17. cheesehoff

cheesehoff Well-Known Member

Something Stotts and his staff didn't do was develop talent with the young guys OR instill confidence in them. I have a feeling that won't be an issue with CB in charge. In fact, I think it will be a strength for him as a coach.

Hoopguru and tester551 like this.
  18. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Simons really was two years away from being two years away :sleeping:

19. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I think Chauncey will fall in love with CJ's game.

20. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

That's not really true at all but I do understand that is the running narrative around here. It's easy to believe that but facts say otherwise.
    Even Pat Con got plenty of run and chances to excel here. Little would have if he would have stayed healthy this last year also. Simons got lots of run.
    Check the roster out. Other than CJ Elleby and Giles who in my opinion was a train wreck they didn't really have young guys looking to excel.