Sissy League

Discussion in 'NFL General' started by vikingfan, Dec 16, 2003.

1. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

The NFL is turning into a sissy league. Here are my biggest complaints about current NFL officiating that is turning the league into a bunch of sissies:

1. Taunting - so now we are afraid of hurting each other's feelings? C'mon.
    2. Roughing the Passer - This is an ok rule, but WAY to heavily enforced. The quarterback is a player and should be a legitimate target by defensive players.
    3. Celebration Fines - Let the players play. If they want to pull out a sharpie in the endzone, so be it. If they want to use a cell phone, ok. If they have special dance, whatever. Most of the time the players look so stupid doing their celebration (Joe Horn) that the public humiliation should be punishment enough. If nothing else, Celebrations gives us something to talk about.

Please, oh please, let the players play!

2. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

I agree with that, in addition, to unsissyfy the league here are 2 more suggestions:

1.Eliminate the QB slide-Its unfair that a QB can run down the field and not get hit, its not right, when the QB crosses the line of scrimmage, he should no longer be considered the passer, he should be treated like any other ball carrier.

2.In return, eliminate the intentional grounding rule, and allow QBs to concede a down to the defense. That will keep QBs from getting hit as much as the stupid roughing the passer rules.

3. Pats37

Pats37 The Next Big Thing

I must say that though it seems like a sissy rule but if Strahan and all these big nasty lineman were just aloud to T-off on the QB the league would be unwatchable because even the Horse McNair wouldn't be playing right know. The QB play would be even worse than it already is. I agree that Endzone dances are fun but the phone and the sharpie are to much. I don't mind a good dance but if they just let them go wild there will be no class left in the game.

4. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

I agree on two of the three points.

Taunting and celebrating - I don't think it's the league's place to fine players for acting like an idiot. I think it's the coaches job, along with the player's teammates, to decide how they want to present themselves on the field and how to deal with prima donnas.

Roughing the passer - I do want QBs protected somewhat. They are very vulnerable when in the passing motion and they are targets, on every play, because they handle the ball on every play. I hate to see games featuring two teams with great QBs, but one or both can't play because they're injured.

5. Steelerfan_2005

Steelerfan_2005 The Peacekeeper XL

Taunting could be one of the worst rule additions ever. I mean you can't get in someone's face? Or spike the ball near an opponent? What is that telling us anyway? Maybe it could lead to fighting? Well I don't think players should be able to fight, but taunt away. It makes the game more interesting!

As for celebrating, I think the players are rebelling right now. The latest Joe Horn - Cell phone ordeal isn't that big of a deal. Of course the NFL had to make it a big deal by fining him double what the maximum fine for that offense is. And I think that's just wrong. How can they do that?

The "Roughing the Passer" deal is kinda of shaky. I think you have to defend the Quarterback somewhat because of his vunerability. The current rules aren't so bad. Of course as fans it wouldn't be bad to see the opponents Quarterback get crushed a few times during the game, but late hits should be flagged.

Great Post!

SF

6. Pats37

I do agree with what Dolfandale said,

"I don't think it's the league's place to fine players for acting like an idiot. I think it's the coaches job, along with the player's teammates, to decide how they want to present themselves on the field and how to deal with prima donnas."

That would be fine by me. I did laugh when horn pulled out the phone I must admit.

7. vikingfan

vikingfan nfl-*****s member

I think Rudy Johnson of the Bengals beat Joe Horn. After he scored a touchdown he held up a sign that read:

"Dear NFL:

Please do not fine me for this touchdown celebration"

That was original. I wasn't too big a fan of Horn's cell phone...it took too long to develop.

8. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Yeah, but Horn's cell phone gimmick has the better chance of reaping an endorsement opportunity.

9. Pats37

It did look like they were going to have to consult a rocket scientist to find that cell phone.

10. Send em back al

Send em back al nfl-*****s member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>vikingfan wrote:

I think Rudy Johnson of the Bengals beat Joe Horn. After he scored a touchdown he held up a sign that read:

"Dear NFL:

Please do not fine me for this touchdown celebration"

That was original. I wasn't too big a fan of Horn's cell phone...it took too long to develop.
    </div>

To be fair to Rudi, it was his team mate Chad that pulled that stunt. Chad is on record as saying that he put money aside before the season started so that he wouldn't have to worry about all the fines he planned to get. This one cost him another $10K.

11. Steelerfan_2005

That was a great stunt. Chad is a great player who obviously has a great sense of humor. I don't want to see all of the hoopla get too out of hand, but the NFL needs to lighten up. These guys just want to have fun at their job. Stop being so militant Paul Tagliabue!

12. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

They really need to lighten up on the uniform thing too. Who really cares if one sock is not pulled up all the way or a shirt tail hangs out. It's rediculous that a uniform police even exists.

13. Steelerfan_2005

I can't believe you dump the old name Galvy! Alas, it's a new forum and a new beginning. Glad to see you here though, that's for sure!

14. DolfanDale

DolfanDale Active Member

Yeah, but now I can't tell if he's a poster or an epic motion picture!

15. Steelerfan_2005

I was thinking the same thing DD. The Return of the Jedi, The Return of the Living Dead, The Return of the King, and now the Return of the Raider. What's next? Oh yeah, the Return of the "insert name here" is always the end of the sequel. I guess that's it then... Galvy's all out of names.

16. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Steelerfan_2003 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing DD. The Return of the Jedi, The Return of the Living Dead, The Return of the King, and now the Return of the Raider. What's next? Oh yeah, the Return of the "insert name here" is always the end of the sequel. I guess that's it then... Galvy's all out of names.
    </div>

It is a rather long name to type, so feel free to abreviate.

TROTR
    or
    ROTR

I figured that the timing of this name was everything. The Raiders need to "return" to their epic successes, and that movie just came out.

17. Giantsfan1

Giantsfan1 Thread Killer

Speaking of come backs let see some real football action
    Im sick of seeing these 50 - 7 games.. theers been
    too many

The giants are a bunch of underachieving losers - AMERICA

18. Philly_Freak93

Philly_Freak93 The Oracle

GF1, thats hard to do, you would need to take the cardinals out of the league

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Giantsfan12004 wrote:

Speaking of come backs let see some real football action
    Im sick of seeing these 50 - 7 games.. theers been
    too many

The giants are a bunch of underachieving losers - AMERICA
    </div>

19. Rube Cred

Rube Cred nfl-*****s member

I don't like roughing the passer for the simple fact that the more established QB's get the call more often than a rookie or 2nd or 3rd year guy. Favre will get a roughing the passer call if a defender shakes his hand before the game, where a big guy like Daunte has had maybe one call for roughing the passer all year! If you are going to protect the QB's, protect ALL the QB's.

I like taunting and celebration fines just because i'd like to keep some class in the game. Doesn't anyone else miss Barry Sanders just flipping the ref the ball after his TD's? Or how about just a spike and a dance? ... or leaping into the stands? Bringing props into the celebration turns a fun celebration into a classless act.

20. Steelerfan_2005

I completely agree with the first part, but I think that problem is consistant in every aspect of the league. The Veterans get the calls in every way over the young players. Pass Interference is almost always called when somone like Rice or Owens is involved where an unknown could be raped and nothing called.

As for the taunting, I say let it go. I like a player like Sanders or in college, Fitzgerald is a very respectable player, but I also don't mind a little celebration. I remember a taunting call on Hines Ward when he looked over to the Steeler bench and spiked the ball. He got the 15 yard penelty because there was an opposing player near by. It was clear who the spike was aimed at, but it didn't matter. It's calls like that that make me [​IMG]