Sixers 2006 Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Smitty, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<u>Sixers Big Board w/Iverson</u>

1. Marcus Williams/University of Connecticut
    2. Rodney Carney/University of Memphis
    3. Mardy Collins/Temple University
    4. Ronnie Brewer/University of Arkansas
    5. Shannon Brown/Michigan State University

<u>Big Board w/o Iverson</u>

1. Rodney Carney/University of Memphis
    2. Shannon Brown/Michigan State University
    3. Randy Foye/Villanova
    4. Marcus Williams/University of Connecticut
    5. Maurice Ager/Michigan State University

2. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Best Kept Secret:</div><div class="quote_post">
    1. Randy Foye- Villanova
    </div>
    the more i think about him, the more i like him. i wasnt too high on him at first, but after reading a lot about him on the net, i really think the guy has potential to be a good player some day in the league. with that being said, he will most likely be gone by 13. but if we DO trade AI, and get a high pick, i would take foye, and then with our 13th, take sheldon williams

3. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

http://www.nba.com/sixers/draft/2006_predraft_workouts.html

We have worked out eight players so far my favorites in order so far out of the ones we have worked out are Foye, Brown, and then Williams. I would love to acquire an early second round pick, or a late first rounder on draft day. This draft is so deep. Dee Brown, Washington, Farmer, Gibson, Adams, Ray, etc all are expected to be around late first round to early second round. We are in need of some help in the back court, especially if we trade AI. We can get some serious help.

4. Really Lost One

alright, so basically here is my "realistic" wish list: foye > shannon brown > sheldon williams > maurice ager > cedrick simmons

5. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

From BenMaller:
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">76ers GM Billy King said former Duke guard Jay Williams, coming back after a serious motorcycle accident, was scheduled to work out June 19. Several others, including Duke's J.J. Redick and Shelden Williams, are tentatively scheduled June 20-23.</div>

[​IMG]

Hopefully he make his case.

OT: Why does everyone spell it Sheldon?

6. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

I don't want JJ Redick, oh please don't pick JJ, Billy. Redick is just Kyle Korver as a first round pick. This may turn into a complete disaster if he lands here. Korver and Redick both can't create their own shot so why not just keep developing Korver, who is more experienced and 6'7". I like the idea of Shelden Williams though...

7. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I don't think King would go out and draft a shooter, this team has other needs. King isn't that dumb.

As for Shelden Williams, I think he is going to be took higher than the 13th pick. If the 76ers found a way to get rid of Dalembert, I'd start Williams at center. Hell, I'd start Shelden evem if we did have Dalembert.

I wonder who the several others are for the future workouts though.

8. Really Lost One

i really think BK has to trade up for a second round pick. that trade with cleveland was just craziness and im still pissed about it. considering how deep this draft is, i really think we will be able to find some hidden gems in the second round, just like how we found willie and korver.

if we do not draft a point guard in the first round, i suggest us take a look at daniel gibson. the guy was supposed to be a first round talent, but according to nba draft net, he is now looking to be drafted at around the mid second round picks. i really think the guy has some talent, and i think he can be special one day in the league.

another guard player to look for in the second round is taquan dean. i think he has the ability to become a solid role player one day in the nba. all he has to do is stay healthy. the guy has talent, regardless of the way he played last season.

9. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

Well guys, Pre-Draft camp starts today..this is where a majority of the players' stock will be determined.

10. Super_Sixer_Fan

Super_Sixer_Fan JBB JustBBall Member

Billy King supposedly said that the majority of the players they worked out they were legitmately interested in them, and knew more then enough about them, that mere workouts won't matter,so we'll see. I for one am hoping we acquire mulitude of picks. With one measly pick? This draft sucks, but with a bunch? You could very well be on your way to rebuliding.

11. Super_Sixer_Fan

I don't think so, don't forget, Billy King said that supposedly the sixers organization knew about these players so much that measly workouts couldn't measure their talent in their eyes, so we'll see. Of course that's not a good thing, as Jimmy the "Philly" basher pointed out.

12. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Brian:</div><div class="quote_post">i really think BK has to trade up for a second round pick. that trade with cleveland was just craziness and im still pissed about it. considering how deep this draft is, i really think we will be able to find some hidden gems in the second round, just like how we found willie and korver.

if we do not draft a point guard in the first round, i suggest us take a look at daniel gibson. the guy was supposed to be a first round talent, but according to nba draft net, he is now looking to be drafted at around the mid second round picks. i really think the guy has some talent, and i think he can be special one day in the league.

another guard player to look for in the second round is taquan dean. i think he has the ability to become a solid role player one day in the nba. all he has to do is stay healthy. the guy has talent, regardless of the way he played last season.</div>

We will be able to sign Taquan Dean as an undrafted free agent. He had a very poor season at Louisville after they had very high expectations in the pre-season. But, why would we pick him? He's just another shooter that will try to make it in the league, shake a tree and you have a dozen of shooters fall out. The last thing we need is a shooter in this draft, if we trade into the second round and pick Dean I will be pissed. If we are back in the second round, expect Steven Smith, Hilton Armstrong, or Leon Powe to be the pick.

13. Super_Sixer_Fan

Hilton Armstrong will be in the first round, try again. Steven Smith? Likely in the mid-range early 2nd round. King has not acquired 30-40 type of pick in years. It naturally is a 40-50 pick, or an undraftee.

14. B.e.

From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The wild cards in the top half of the draft are international forward Andrea Bargnani and Duke forward Shelden Williams. Sources said that Williams has pulled out of scheduled workouts with teams in the second half of the top 10 - including Minnesota, which picks sixth - indicating that a team in the top five has made a commitment to Williams that it will take him.</div>

Well that sucks, I really thought we might have had a chance to draft Shelden. Oh well, you never know what can happen still.

If this team wants to win now, I think Mardy Collins should be drafted. I think he fits the 76ers needs the best. Hopefully King takes him, even though I have heard they don't want him.

15. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Super_Sixer_Fan:</div><div class="quote_post">Hilton Armstrong will be in the first round, try again. Steven Smith? Likely in the mid-range early 2nd round. King has not acquired 30-40 type of pick in years. It naturally is a 40-50 pick, or an undraftee.</div>

Look into the draft a little more. Hilton Armstrong has looked very unimpressive so far and if he slips past the Nets at 23 it's very possible he's in the second round. Sure Billy King doesn't have a history of trading into the top half of the round but this off-season isn't going to be like the rest of them in case you haven't figured it out.

I wasn't talking about the type of trade that we did for Kyle Korver or Willie Green where we simply sent cash, maybe as part of the Dalembert deal we can aquire a top second round pick or maybe we can dish John Salmons off someone.

16. Super_Sixer_Fan

NETS That is the key word, they're so weak up-front, they'll take any possible big men. So that's settled. Just because King said, there will be changes, doesn't mean there will be. This is the same idiot, that thinks Mo did a good job.

17. B.e.

I don't know about everybody else, but I am officialy sold on Mardy Collins. Last weekend he measure at 6-5 in height, which is pretty much the same as Rodeny Carney, he also measure a 6-10 wingspan! Imagine Collins on defense. Collins has a lot more length then I thought he did, and I think he would be a perfect fit for this team at the PG position (if the 76ers plan on keeping AI).

KING draft Collins!

18. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting B-22:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't know about everybody else, but I am officialy sold on Mardy Collins. Last weekend he measure at 6-5 in height, which is pretty much the same as Rodeny Carney, he also measure a 6-10 wingspan! Imagine Collins on defense. Collins has a lot more length then I thought he did, and I think he would be a perfect fit for this team at the PG position (if the 76ers plan on keeping AI).

KING draft Collins!</div>

Carney or Collins to me would be the best possible scenario. If they are both on the board then I would vote for Carney, simply because he has more potential to be explosive on the offensive end of the floor. Either would be fine with me though, but please, no international players, Hilton Armstrong, or Ced Simmons.

19. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Sixers to hold 4th Workout

The workout will include Michigan State's Maurice Ager, La Salle's Steven Smith, Rutgers' Quincy Douby, and Texas' PJ Tucker. Hopefully these guys will play defense because from what I've read in the paper yesterday is that King was PISSED during 2 on 2 with O'Bryant, Armstrong, Sene, and Pecherov yelling that they weren't playing any defense.

Honestly, Ager isn't the Michigan State player I wanted to come in for a second workout. I was a bit surprised when they said they were bringing him back. Two guys I really would like us to trade up in the second round for would be PJ Tucker and Steven Smith. Both are big players who can clean the glass and play tough...

Source

20. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting C.K.:</div><div class="quote_post">The workout will include Michigan State's Maurice Ager, La Salle's Steven Smith, Rutgers' Quincy Douby, and Texas' PJ Tucker. Hopefully these guys will play defense because from what I've read in the paper yesterday is that King was PISSED during 2 on 2 with O'Bryant, Armstrong, Sene, and Pecherov yelling that they weren't playing any defense.

Honestly, Ager isn't the Michigan State player I wanted to come in for a second workout. I was a bit surprised when they said they were bringing him back. Two guys I really would like us to trade up in the second round for would be PJ Tucker and Steven Smith. Both are big players who can clean the glass and play tough...

Source</div>
    King better make sure he acquires a second round pick now, or he just wasted a workout. None of these players who where brought in for a workout today make any sense for us at 13. With less than a week left until draft day a lot of the prospects will be holding back a bit in their workouts in fear of injuring themselves. Hopefully we already know what we need to know about the guys we are targeting.