Sixers Seek Best Available Player

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Shapecity, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">PHILADELPHIA - Two years ago, the Sixers only had the 50th pick in the NBA Draft.

But they ended up with two players who figure to be among new head coach Maurice Cheeks' top eight during the 2005-06 season.

The Sixers had targeted Willie Green and Kyle Korver as guys they wanted, so they traded the 50th selection and cash to the SuperSonics to grab Green at No. 41, then sent cash to the Nets for No. 51 when Korver was still available.

Green started 21 games for the Sixers last season, while Korver appeared in all 82, starting 57, and led the NBA in made 3-point goals with 226.

Sixers senior vice president Tony DiLeo is confident the team can add a player who will help them - if not this year, then in the future - with the 45th choice in Tuesday's draft.

"We always think there's a player out there," said DiLeo after Wednesday's pre-draft workouts at PCOM. "It's just trying to find the right player and identify him. Two years ago, we liked Willie Green and Kyle Korver a lot and we got them.

"We want to keep adding to the mix. Every year, we want to add another young player that we can develop."</div>

Source

2. DaAnswer3

DaAnswer3 JBB JustBBall Member

That's all great an stuff but from what I have read none of the guys they have had in match that did they have Willie an Korver in for workouts the year we picked them or was it a suprise to everyone ?

3. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

The 76ers could draft a decent player, they just have to draft wisely. If I were to make the decision I would stay away from European players that late in the draft. Also I would draft high scholar Louis Williams and keep him as a project PG under Allen Iverson and MO Cheeks, then we could have him for the future when Allen retires.

4. DaAnswer3

Do you guys think we will move up or try to move up maybe they will talk about some stuff on DNL today maybe Jasner will be on hopefully. Or do you think we will just do what we did like the Willie Korver year get two players low in the draft. Or could you see us moving up in the 2nd for someone..... I would love to be a fly in the room with Billy K everyday leading up to this draft .[​IMG]

5. B.e.

Rumor is the 76ers were interetsed in buying the 19th pick from Memphis.

6. DaAnswer3

Yea I read they want something like 3 mill for it. I would think they could do that since the Flyers didn't play at all this year they have to have extra money correct. So why not put some extra into the Sixers an get the 19th pick an have the 19th an 45th. Makes sense to me what about you guys.

7. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

It would be great if we could get Lorenzen Wright and the 19th pick for 3 mil and a filler.
    Wright said he doesn't want to play where he won't be resigned so maybe we could get him.THis would be a great help to our team's frontcourt

8. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

If we dont move up I am expecting the 76ers to take a long look at Pat Carrol from St. Joes. He is a great shooter, and would be a nice addition to provide us with two shooters Korver and him. That is if he is still around he already worked out for the 76ers yesterday.

9. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yea I read they want something like 3 mill for it. I would think they could do that since the Flyers didn't play at all this year they have to have extra money correct. So why not put some extra into the Sixers an get the 19th pick an have the 19th an 45th. Makes sense to me what about you guys.</div>
    I don't think the Flyers and 76ers organizations are related. They may play at the same stadium but I'm pretty sure they're owned by a different person. Even if they were related though, the Flyers probably need to resign a bunch of players and make deals of their own after a season locked out so that probably wouldn't be able to help us.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    It would be great if we could get Lorenzen Wright and the 19th pick for 3 mil and a filler. Wright said he doesn't want to play where he won't be resigned so maybe we could get him.THis would be a great help to our team's frontcourt</div>
    I would do this trade, but the only problem is Wright wants a big contract and can we really offer that? We're already in a bad cap situation as it is with Iverson and Webber on board but also we need to resign some of the young players. Presumably Dalembert and Korver which would cost us big money. Is it really worth it to swallow up an expensive powerforward thats only getting older? Wright isn't even in his peak anymore and I'm just afraid he might end up being overpaid by us in the end when we resign him.

As for the actually pick, I agree with the article. We should go with the best available player since all our positions are pretty much solid and this draft pretty deep. Louis Williams, John Gilchrist, and Jawad Williams would all be good picks in my opinion at the 45th.

10. DaAnswer3

I thought Ed Snider had his hand in both the Sixers an Flyers but I guess I might be wrong.

11. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

If I were the Sixers I'd probably take Louis Williams if he's still available, the kid seems like he's the next big thing to me. Good size for a PG and can learn from one of the best players ever, AI.

12. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I thought Ed Snider had his hand in both the Sixers an Flyers but I guess I might be wrong.</div>
    I'm not too sure either, but he runs Comcast if that means anything. He basically owns the Wachovia Center from what I read so I don't really know. Probably has nothing to do with the teams though.

13. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Buckets:</div><div class="quote_post">If I were the Sixers I'd probably take Louis Williams if he's still available, the kid seems like he's the next big thing to me. Good size for a PG and can learn from one of the best players ever, AI.</div>

Took the words right out of my mouth. [​IMG]

14. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Buckets:</div><div class="quote_post">If I were the Sixers I'd probably take Louis Williams if he's still available, the kid seems like he's the next big thing to me. Good size for a PG and can learn from one of the best players ever, AI.</div>

I agreed with you until their. Williams is about 6-0 and is a tweener. Not good size.

15. DaAnswer3

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">I agreed with you until their. Williams is about 6-0 and is a tweener. Not good size.</div>

says 6'2 175 on draftcity an nbadraft.net

16. Bobcats

He's still a tweener though.

17. DaAnswer3

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">He's still a tweener though.</div>

off topic for you bobcats who is that in your banner an did you loose a bet that you have to put that one up they look like gay chip n dales or something [​IMG]

18. Bobcats

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DaAnswer3:</div><div class="quote_post">off topic for you bobcats who is that in your banner an did you loose a bet that you have to put that one up they look like gay chip n dales or something [​IMG]</div>

Huh? Are you talking about the sig? I didn't lose a sig bet. Kurt Cobain is a rock legend, and Brad Nowell is famous in the California area for his band Sublime. Both passed away from heroin overdose. Next time you have a question, just PM.

19. B.e.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DaAnswer3:</div><div class="quote_post">off topic for you bobcats who is that in your banner an did you loose a bet that you have to put that one up they look like gay chip n dales or something [​IMG]</div>
    Off topic, who cares if you want to ask about his "banner" PM him or something there is no nead for a post on it.

20. lafever8

lafever8 JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting DaAnswer3:</div><div class="quote_post">Do you guys think we will move up or try to move up maybe they will talk about some stuff on DNL today maybe Jasner will be on hopefully. Or do you think we will just do what we did like the Willie Korver year get two players low in the draft. Or could you see us moving up in the 2nd for someone..... I would love to be a fly in the room with Billy K everyday leading up to this draft .[​IMG]</div>
    did anyone catch DNL? i missed it. did it talk about the sixers trying to aquire a draft pick or something?