Skip Bayless says Dame isn't a star

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, May 5, 2016.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Your leader doesnt have to be the best player on the team.

I think Dame is mature enough to know that he can use as good as, if not a better player than him NEXT to him and he would be totally cool with that.

Lets not get on Dame because he doesn't have that option so he forces more than he should.
    He is fine, We are fine, We are going to flourish over the next 5 years. Watch

2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Skip Blayless isn't a sports columnist

3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    So what is the point of Skip Bayless calling Dame "not a star"? Is he going to start doing pieces on every player in the NBA who isn't, in his opinion, a "star"? Next up: Shawn Livingston isn't a star. Tomorrow: Mason Plumlee isn't a star. Next week: Why Harrison Fuckin Barnes isn't a star. What's really the point?

News flash for Mr. Bayless: Skip Bayless isn't a star. And never will be.

Chris Craig, dviss1 and Orion Bailey like this.
  4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

What I don't understand is what the expectations are.

Dame scored 17 points in the third quarter of game 2. That wasn't enough? Is he supposed to carry the team for 48 minutes or he isn't a star? I don't know any player that is unstoppable for 48 minutes. They go on runs. I imagine it takes a lot out of them when they explode for 17 points in 12 minutes, and Dame is sick to boot. How could anyone sustain that kind of tempo for even a half in a playoff game against one of the best defenses in the league?

Dame isn't physically imposing like a LeBron or a Westbrook. He isn't as quick as a Chris Paul. He relies on his quick release to get his shot off. He relies on his teammates to make shots and take some of the heat off him. I imagine if you put Steph Curry on this Blazer team, he would struggle, just as Dame has.

BBert, Orion Bailey and e_blazer like this.
  5. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

What you are saying is 100% right for a coach, but not for a GM. Different - but equally valid POVs.

BBert likes this.
  6. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

You guys are giving Skip Clueless the attention he wanted as a result from his statement. Same shit Crapzano pulls.

Spud147 and Denny Crane like this.
  7. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

My big thing with you is you don't hold CJ to the same standard as Lillard. Maybe I've missed it, but I doubt it. Most I've seen you say on the subject is. "CJ is more consistent than Lillard". But he's not... He doesn't even face the same defense as Lillard does.

8. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

9. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    He's nobody.

10. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...ole Skipper says a lot of asinine shit, luckily nobody cares (that's why he is downgrading to Fox Sports)!

11. Spud147

Spud147 Mercy Mercy

And his former co-workers at ESPN are roasting him now that they can! They think he's an idiot too.

Haakzilla likes this.
  12. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

This is Cj first year essentially. If you look what he's done when he's next to the best player on the team, it's more impressive than what Dame did when he was next to a star that was better than him (LMA)

13. Natebishop3

Really? That's interesting. Of course, Dame has done things that nobody has done since Petrie. You think Aldridge was better than Dame?

Your ridiculous expectations aren't even based on reality, because you constantly overlook Lillard's accomplishments.

14. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Wait. You think Dame was better than Aldridge? Jesus.

Tunchi likes this.
  15. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

16. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

How can I put this so you'll understand and it won't allow people to freak out on the point I'm making here.
    CJ in very few games this year has faced the same level of defense Lillard does every night.
    Getting trapped on the pick and roll, getting game planned against as the #1 option to stop... etc.
    More often than not when CJ faces this kind of defense he turns the ball over...
    Or
    Dribbles for 20 seconds only to throw up a poor shot that leads to a run-out for the other team.
    As good as CJ has been this year for the Blazers. He has also had times when he's been extremely poor and single handed cost the Blazers games.
    The one that immediately stands out is the last GSW game. As soon as Lillard went out, CJ took his place and turned it over 4 straight times because he couldn't handle an aggressive double like Lillard was. Went from being a close game, to a 10+point lead for the Warriors who never looked back after.

You and others don't hold CJ to the same standard as Lillard.
    Yet he at facing the same defense as Lillard does night in and night out. He's performed worse than Lillard by far.
    And I mean.. over two games against the GSW. CJ hasn't been that much better than Lillard.
    Infact CJ has done a lot of standing around... He's also 1 of 9 from three after shooting 40%+ during the season.
    He's barely over 30% from deep in the playoffs. He's also turning it over more in the playoffs than he did in the regular season.
    Hell he's turning it over more than he did in the Memphis series when he had Tony Allen on him.
    But you've and others have mentioned none of this. There is no "shot selection thread for CJ I see".
    It's the playoffs, he proved against Memphis he deserves to be held to a higher standard and not get a pass.
    This is my problem with the people who criticize Lillard and ignore CJ's mistakes.
    Double Standard.

SlyPokerDog, BBert and Orion Bailey like this.
  17. Natebishop3

Do I think Dame was better this season than Aldridge during Dame's first three years? Yes.

18. Natebishop3

Tunchi is saying that what CJ has done this year, next to Dame, is more impressive than what Dame did next to Aldridge.

I say that Dame was better this season than Aldridge ever was with Dame, so that's a major flaw in the argument.

19. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

Skip is a star. And Skip is moving to Fox because they're paying him more, and I'm betting he's going to get even more free reign to be a complete fuck stick. He's not leaving ESPN because he's being "down graded." First Take is the highest rated show (non SportsCenter) ESPN has. They want Skip. Believe me. The 7 pages of this thread prove why.

As for Dame, I'll just say this - I find myself waiting and saying "time to warm up dame" more often than I would for a super star but that doesn't mean Dame isn't a star. He has his moments.

20. Natebishop3

I mean, there's probably 5-10 superstars in the league. Dame isn't on that list. Maybe one day, but he's not there yet, and most of the guys on that list have been in the league for a while. Dame is just finishing his 4th season.

LeBron
    Durant
    Curry
    Westbrook
    Paul

In my mind, those are the five best players in the league.

Next step down would be

George
    Leonard
    Davis
    Boogie
    Harden

I put Dame in the next tier, with guys like Klay, Draymond, Drummond, Melo, Wade, etc. He's a star, for sure, but he's not the best at his position, and he's not even the second or third best at his position. Dame is arguably the 4th or 5th best point guard in the NBA. That exclues him from any talk of being a superstar. He's firmly in the All-Star discussion every year though.

oldmangrouch and Orion Bailey like this.