Sloan can relate to Artest's actions ? sort of

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by spark22, Nov 21, 2004.

1. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">On a certain level, Jerry Sloan can relate with Ron Artest.
    Back in the day, when Sloan played and the NBA didn't even fine players for such indiscretions, the Jazz coach was goaded into going after a fan.
    The site was Kansas City, and the moment was not one of Sloan's proudest.
    "I was in the stands," he said. "I hate to admit that. But a guy hit me with an aerosol can, right in the huddle ? and it kind of got me a little bit unnerved."
    "I should have been smarter," Sloan added, "but I wasn't."
    </div>
    http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595106983,00.html

I didn't know this about Sloan but I don't know which would be worse, Sloan or Artest coming at you, I wouldn't want to see either. The article goes on with quotes about the infamous Pacers/Pistons Brawl from Kevin O'Connor and Jarron Collins.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Nice find. I'm interested to hear what some of the veterans have to say about this. In particular Barkley, Bird, Magic, and Jordan. Would these guys have reacted the same, who do they side with, and do they agree with the suspensions handed out?

3. Stockton

Stockton JBB

When Sloan played, he played with heart and put everything on the line. He'd draw a lot of charges, not afraid to sacrifice his body. It doesn't surprise me that he got emotional and couldn't help himself by going into the stands, but I know if someone on the Jazz did this he just wouldn't stand for it.