So glad we chose to extend Leonard and not TRob....

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Took me a second to realize you ment Marc Gasol. Yea you take that deal and RUN.

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I have been preaching this since day 1. T-Rob seems like a poor mans Dennis Rodman, without the crazy. Opting to let him walk over the Great White Dope is infuriating

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

T-Rob had the same number or rebounds last night than Leonar_'s total defensive rebounds for the season.

4. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

You did see the free throw line right? One player dropped the average from 80% to 50%. It wasn't Leonard.
    Against a better team in crunch time you simply can't play this guy. Basketball is more than just athletic ability. It take intelligence also. T-Rob does not have much in the way of BBIQ....

5. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Please don't tell me you think Leonard has BBall IQ?

6. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

T rob won't be on this team at the end of the season. Mark my words.

7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I don't believe the decision on TRob had anything whatsoever to do with Leonard, and vise-versa, or with choosing Leonard over TRob, or that the Blazers have done that. I'm confident there are other strategies at play here. I think it was all about the cap hold and giving TRob the tough love treatment to try to get him to follow direction and stop trying to play like a small forward.

8. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

If you're saying basketball IQ refers to being able to hit free throws.. That's pretty silly..
    Shaq/Ben Wallace to name two players of many where shitty free throw shooters and weren't terrible in the basketball IQ area.
    Not comparing those two players to t-rob. Just merely the free throw shooting, and how you said that it takes basketball IQ to hit free throws.

9. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

This. To pretend it had anything to do with their talent level right now is misguided.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Sometimes guys really step up when they are playing for a contract. JJ did the same thing.

11. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Just think what we will have when his BBIQ kicks in!

Really, I would like to hear from Stotts some day on this question. Leonard has all the tools and sometimes he even shows he can use them. But then, next time, nothing.
    What the hell is the deal? Is he stupid and can't learn? Why no trajectory apparent?

12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Casey Holdahl mentioned in his podcast that TRobs highlights took the spotlight off his mistakes. He had a good double double last night but sucked at the line and turned the ball over 4 times. TRob is like Barton, picks up the tempo but sometimes gets out of position. He's a great rebounder if he concentrates. Valuable bench player who will put it all together with more court time. I'm optimistic about TRob and feel he has a sense of loyalty to the Blazers that could see him accepting a deal here in free agency.

13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    And when they do, forget about them. Don't need a guy like that.

14. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Cherry picking stats is so much fun...

Last night, TRob missed twice as many FTs in one game (10) as Meyers Leonard has this season and last season combined (5).

Even after last night's breakout performance, Leonard has superior advanced stats than TRob (higher PER, WS/48, VORP, etc.). If you're going to push the TRob is a stud Leonard is a dud agenda, you may want to avoid bringing stats to the table and rely more on anecdotal evidence and gut feel.

BNM

15. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

Hahahaha! :biglaugh:

16. Boob-No-More

I don't think we have a consensus for the meaning of BBIQ, at least not based on what I'm reading here. It seems like people are lumping things like skill and instinct under the umbrella of BBIQ. To me, all three are distinctively different. I don't think either player has a very high BBIQ right now, but Leonard is a much more skilled player, much better shooter, better passer, doesn't turn the ball over, etc., but has really poor instincts. Robinson, other other hand is an extremely unskilled player that relies 100% on instincts and athleticism.

That's what's especially frustrating about both players. The anti-Leonard camp's criticism is not based on his actual production (check his stats, they are actually pretty good), it's based on the fact that he still frequently looks lost on the court and they see this as a hopeless lack of improvement. They ignore that fact that he actually has improved in the areas of his weaknesses (he's become a much better rebounder, for example) and consider him a bust and a waste of a draft pick. TRob is equally frustrating. He still tantalizes with his athleticism, but is still the exact same unskilled player he was as a rookie. He hasn't developed a single low post move, can't make FTs to save his life and turns the ball over at an alarming rate. It makes one wonder what he works on in practice and the off season. He seems perfectly content to continue to rely totally on his instincts, athleticism and energy to have an occasional good game and a highlight reel dunk or block a couple times a year. His complete lack of improvement of fundamental basketball skills makes me question both his intelligence and his work ethic.

So, why did management pick up Leonard's option and not TRob's? Only they know. It may have been to preserve cap flexibility. It may have been to motivate TRob, or maybe they think it's more likely the light will go on for Leonard before Robinson ever acquires any meaningful skill to go with his instincts and athleticism.

BNM

magnifier661 likes this.
  17. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Good post! If only we were able to combine both players into one!

18. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Holy crap on a shingle. TRob missed 10 free throws? Ouch. I love having big men who can make their free throws. It means they can stay on the court at the end of the game. And it's critical in the playoffs.

19. Boob-No-More

I agree. With 10 missed FTs and 4 TOVs, Robinson would have been a huge liability if the game has been closer and Milwaukee would have been at full strength. Last night was the perfect example of Good TRob vs. Bad TRob, and that's exactly what you get with him. He'll bring the energy, grab some boards and get an occasional highlight reel block or dunk, but he'll also kill you at the line and with stupid, unforced TOVs.

More court time will not help Robinson "put it all together". It's his lack of skill that's holding him back. Things like FT shooting and developing a low post move are things he should be working on in practice and the off season. More PT is not going to make him a better FT shooter and a reliable low post scorer.

Leonard is the one he needs more PT to improve his instincts and his feel for the game. He already has skills, he lacks instincts, confidence and court awareness. Those things require PT to improve, but unless this team starts getting more blowout victories, you can't just throw Meyers out there if it may cost you a win.

Likewise, with his poor FT shooting, you can't leave TRob out there in the 4th quarter of a close game do to his horrendous FT shooting.

BNM

20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Scotts never would have left him in that long if the game was that close. It was like a little joke between Kidd and stotts and if the game had gotten down to a threatening score, I think terry would have pulled him and put freeland or Kaman on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk