something ainge said...

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by olskoolfunktitude, Mar 14, 2006.

1. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

...just rubbed me the wrong way. in his last interview he said
    "I don't know if we can win a championship. But I believe we can be a team that's competing in our conference year in and year out."

I jst didnt like how it sounded. Obviously hes gonna sound like an idiot if he goes guarenteeing that were gonona win a championship within 3 years but I feel like he made himself sound uncertain of the direction theyre going on. You need your general manager to be confident. I know ainge was trying to be realistic here but it just makes sound kind of depressing when he says that the best we can hope for is to be contendiing in the eastern conference every year. It makes it sound like the best case scenario is that we win the eastern conference once or twice for the honor if getting trounced by whoever wins the west

2. postpoint

postpoint JBB JustBBall Member

Weak Speak.

I think you're right. Ainge was waffling. I don't really know the context, so I don't know why. He does tend to be a little more down to earth than most NBA execs, because of the market that he works it. Boston fans don't forget anything, and they don't let you forget anything either. The statement was a weak one, but the talent that Ainge has assembled will end up speaking for him.

3. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

correct me if I'm wrong but competing in the eastern conferance is what they were doing before Ainge got here was it not? I thought that was the problem he was trying to solve. The celtics were just good enough to be competetive in a weak eastern conference and his whole thing was to blow it up and rebuild in hoping of making a team that was good enough to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!

4. postpoint

postpoint JBB JustBBall Member

Yes.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting olskoolFunktitude:</div><div class="quote_post">correct me if I'm wrong but competing in the eastern conferance is what they were doing before Ainge got here was it not? I thought that was the problem he was trying to solve. The celtics were just good enough to be competetive in a weak eastern conference and his whole thing was to blow it up and rebuild in hoping of making a team that was good enough to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!</div>

The thing is, they weren't going to be competitive for very much longer. So that's kind of a non-point. I agree with you in the idea that you want to hear confidence from your team, but it sounds like deliberate understatement to me. If he goes out and gives a timeline, he's not only giving people ammunition to attack him with later, he's also giving other teams bulletin board material. On top of that, if he does do better, it's a surprise. Surprises are much better than predicted wins from a media standpoint. Surprises are easy to market, arrogance isn't. I think his lack of hyperbole was a rhetorical move, not a namby-pamby one. Is it still weak? Yes, because the East has gotten to the point that a mediocre team can make playoff runs. But when the Celts do better, he'll look better.