Sonics Fans Roll Call!

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Dec 1, 2003.

1. psheehy

psheehy Beaten down by the "MAN"

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting sonicman:</div><div class="quote_post">Cool! I?m from Mogi Guacu, near Campinas.

Basketball in Brazil grows as our players get more attention.</div>

I have a good friend who lives just outside Sao Paolo...not too far from Campinas. Welcome to the forum.

You have few Brazillians in the NBA now...Barbosa, Nene, Varejao, all good players, though Brazil is a bit more of a football nation. Glad to hear hoops are getting some attention.

2. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

How long have you been a fan?

I'm not, but I took Desmond's cue from the C's one and thought that if I put one up here, maybe some would in there too.

Who's your current favourite Sonic(s)

I would have to say I've always enjoyed watching Flip when and Reggie Evans, that man is a monster.

Who's your favourite all time Sonic(s)?

That's a no brainer, the Ukraine Train, Bean town misses him [​IMG] Just kidding, I think it's probably either the Rain Man, or Jack Sikma.

Favourite Sonics moment this season?

They're showing down the second half stretch. They really surprised some teams with the small ball approach.

Favourite Sonics moment alltime?

Toughy, probably watching them in the Western Conference finals against Utah in 1996, that was nice watching Malone writhe a little more.

Predictions for this season?

Again, that's tough, here's to hoping they will flourish under Weiss.

3. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

I used to have a poster of Kemp dunking over the Space Needle when I was younger.

Rashard Lewis

Before there was Amare, there was Shawn Kemp.

Ray and Rashard tearing up the ASG.

Seeing them win the West.

That's impossible at this point.

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

I thought Reggie was your man, 44.

5. eXile

eXile JBB JustBBall Member

FIrst time posting. Nice to find a place full of other Sonics fans.

I've always kind of cheered for the Sonics since I was born in the state but I really became a Sonics fan in 96 when we moved back and my dad took me to a game. Die hard fan since then and them making the playoffs only sealed it.

It's either Ray or Shard. Typical to pick the stars but Ray's just got such a nice shot and Shard's got the longest tenure on the team right now.

GP without a doubt but Desmond Mason was a big favorite of mine and was pretty sad to see the both of them leave.

Just surpassing expectations. After all the predictions of the Sonics breaking down by midseason it was nice to prove everybody wrong.

96 playoffs

I suck at these so I'll just say I hope we either make it deep in the playoffs or play bad enough to get a high lottery next draft. None of that barely missing the playoffs and getting the 13th pick.

6. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Welcome aboard eXile, hope you stick around into the season with us.

7. DocBlaze27

DocBlaze27 JBB JustBBall Member

Hmmm... At least 7 years.

Rashard Lewis

Rashard Lewis

Ray Allen scoring 41 on the Kings in the playoffs

'79 Championship. What else? ...Even though I wasn't alive...

Low playoff berth, first round exit [​IMG]

8. monty001

monty001 Sonics belong in Seattle

How long ive been a sonics fan?
    The day i was born, July 12, 1983. Ok that might be a little unrealistic but you get the point.

Favorite Current Supe?

Ray Ray of course.

Fav all time Supe?

hmm....gotta be between GP and Ray, and D-Mase man...

Fav sonic moment this season?

I enjoyed every min of last season.

Favorite sonics moment all time?

When D-mase had that put-back-one-handed-3ft-above-the-rim SLAM at the buzzer to take the game into OT vs the Hornets. That was just SICK.

Predictons?

Hard to say, I didnt expect much before last season. I guess we'll get into the playoffs...we'll see what happens from there.

9. psheehy

psheehy Beaten down by the "MAN"

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting monty001:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Favorite sonics moment all time?

When D-mase had that put-back-one-handed-3ft-above-the-rim SLAM at the buzzer to take the game into OT vs the Hornets. That was just SICK.
    </div>

That dunk was incredible. I had stood my son up to prepare to leave Key Arena in misery and he just came out of nowhere. They must have played the replay 10 times that night.

Welcome to the board.

10. monty001

thanks...yeah i remember that veryyy well. i was watching on TV and GP shoots that three...first its like "YEAHHH" then he misses, and "AW MAN!!" then outta nowhere...."YEAHHH!!!! YEAHHHHH!! YEAAHHH!!!!" haha. that was awesome.

11. MMM_MMM_GOOD

MMM_MMM_GOOD JBB JustBBall Member

Well, new poster here to the group. I just found you guys through Sonicscentral.com. I've been a constant post reader on ever Sonics board I can find.

As far as me, I am the biggest Sonics fan living in NY. My love for the Sonics developed in 1992 when they defeated the Rockets and then lost to the Suns in the WC Finals. Their up-tempo game was so fun to watch as a 12 year old, so my love for them has just grown since.

My first favorite Sonic was Kemp. Then as I began to play ball myself, as a point guard, my love for GP ensued. As I've watched player after player come and go, and eventually having GP outed, I realized that my love for the team far exceeded my love for just a player (though I still root for all of my favorite Sonics of the past, except when we play them).

I have so many favorite Sonic moments, but some that stick out are....

-Kemp's free throws in the WCF against the Jazz in '96.
    -Desmond Mason's tip dunk at the buzzer for the win against Charlotte.
    -Desmond Mason's slam off of an alley-oop pass fromm Brent on an inbounds play to send a game to OT.
    -GP shaving a nike sign in his head during the 96 playoffs for a few games against the Jazz.
    -Vin Baker's buzzer beating, game winning hook over Tim Duncan and the Admiral in his first and only good season on the Sonics.
    -Brent Barry's 3-pt buzzer beater against the Spurs to win the game 2 or 3 yrs back.
    -Shawn Kemp's sick dunk over M.L. Carr (I believe) in the 96 playoffs.
    -Kemp hanging on the rim with his legs on Rodman's shoulders in the NBA Finals.
    -Nate McMillan crying on the bench in the Finals when not being able to continue playing (this would be sad, but it taught me about love for the game).
    -Personal Highlite- I was the writer and editor of a local newspaper when I was in college, and I was able to get into the lockerroom and interview the Sonics (and GP for 30 mins off the record) when they came to town in 2000 (Ewing's year here).

My favorite current Sonic... that's a tough one... my last 3 favorites have left (Barry, Desmond, and AD), so I'm a little scared of having a new favorite... I may jinx him into leaving.

As for this season... I'm hoping Scales and Noel Felix make the squad over Brunson. I do like Cleaves, but I see him as the odd man out right now. I'm hoping for 50+ wins, and I see that as a definite possibility. I see us as a 4-6 seed, and possibly making it into the 2nd round of the playoffs this season. Although I am glad we didn't re-sign JJ, he will actally be a bigger loss in the playoffs as the game slows down and we need a big man. We truly have NONE. We will get along OK during the regular season without one, but come playoff time, we'll be hurting. That is what separates us from being a true championship contending team. I think we ave all of the other pieces. In time, I think Petro (not Swift) will be that guy, but not yet.

Boy, it was great talking Sonics ball.... glad I joined you guys!

G

12. R34

R34 JBB JustBBall Member

hmmm I don't know when it happened. Actually I live in a country where when you ask people about basketball they say "What?" or "MJ!".. I saw the 96 playoffs when I was 11 and they aired most of games at 4 am.. I used to wake up only for the Bulls games but I saw SonicsJazz series because I thought sonics would be easier to beat for the bulls.. then I realised I like the sonics more.. and I think the real loving started 3 years ago..

Ray-Ray, Flip

Kemp

Ray's 41 points against the Kings

winning the Jazz series in 96

47 wins, #7 in West..

13. bravest

bravest BBW Member

Let's revive this sucker!

All my life. But if you want to get technical, I started watching four or five years ago when I first started getting into basketball. Baseball has been my passion, so finding time for another sport (besides football, that is) has been a challenge in itself.

Who's your current favorite Sonic(s)?
    I love Johan Petro for a lot of reasons I don't care to explain. He's french, and I'm in French 7-8 IB - my fourth year learning the language (I suck at it though). Rashard Lewis was my favorite for a while, but I'm starting to like Nick Collison and Luke Ridnour more. The only player I dislike for his play on the court is Flip Murray...

Who's your favorite all time Sonic(s)?
    I guess I would have to say Shawn Kemp or Detlef Shrempf. Both were from around the time I started getting into the team, so it'd have to be between them.

Favorite Sonics moment this season?
    Ray Allen's triple against Phoenix. Funny thing is, that's what some people thought would've turned our season around...

Favorite Sonics moment alltime?
    Since I wasn't alive for the championship, the only time I remember winning was *losing* to the Bulls in the mid-90s. As for my least-favorite Sonics moment, I'd go with something recent: watching Tim Duncan lay in the game-winner over Vitaly Potapenko's outstretched hand.

Don't you think this question should be removed? I don't appreciate being reminded of a time when I thought the Sonics would have a better season that last year's.

To conclude, I hope to meet some real Sonics fans who share my love for the game. I'm afraid to admit that I like the *lowly* T'Wolves and Knicks, so I hope no one holds that against me; the Sonics are my true love.

14. monty001

I know this is probably in the wrong spot, but I didn't wanna make a whole new thread for this. I notice how other teams forums' have a team color theme to it. How come we don't have that? I the team sucks right now, but...we're still the Sonics!!

15. bravest

bravest BBW Member

Maybe you should have posted a thread for that. It deserves to be recognized like all the other threads.

16. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting monty001:</div><div class="quote_post">I know this is probably in the wrong spot, but I didn't wanna make a whole new thread for this. I notice how other teams forums' have a team color theme to it. How come we don't have that? I the team sucks right now, but...we're still the Sonics!!</div>Don't worry, it's on the way.

17. monty001

Nice..the colors are up.

18. The Reign Man

The Reign Man JBB JustBBall Member

How long have you been a fan? I've liked the Sonics ever since my Dad introduced me to basketball... he grew up in Olympia, so even up in Alaska I was raised to live and die (at this point, mostly die) with Seattle teams.

Who's your current favourite Sonic(s): Ray Allen, Damien Wilkins, Chris Wilcox (assuming no regression next year)

Who's your favourite all time Sonic(s)? Kemp, Payton, Slick Watts, Xavier McDaniels, Downtown Freddie Brown (Of those, I only remember watching Kemp and Payton... rely on ESPN Classic etc. for the others)

Favourite Sonics moment this season? Ray Allen hitting back-to-back game winners... not a lot of winning this year, so that was a welcome sight

Favourite Sonics moment alltime? I'm too young to remember the championship, so I'll say the Finals run in 95-96

Predictions for this season? Well, it hinges a lot on who we draft and what we decide to do with The Fort. Wilcox looked solid after the trade, and if the NW version of the Twin Towers can keep improving, with the division weak as it is the possibility of the playoffs is definitely there.

19. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Welcome Reign Man, it's a bit quiet at the moment but hopefully it will pick up after the draft lottery when we know where we're picking.

20. Casual

Casual JBB First Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting The Reign Man:</div><div class="quote_post">(assuming no regression next year)</div>

Hardcore fans unite!