Sonics shoot abysmally, go to 3-1

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

I hear the Atlanta fans now...

"Why the *#@! can't we do that more often?"

Friday it was the scoreboard and buzzer, today it was the Hawks shooting the Key Arena lights out enroute to a gutsy 91-81 victory. In a blistering first half display, Atlanta shot 57% from the field and 72% from 3-point land to set up what was an unexpected victory, with Jason Terry doing most of the damage. Seattle, who were averaging 111ppg over the first three, were held to 38% shooting and didn't make their first 3 until Flip Murray hit from downtown with 1:39 left in the game, to give the Sonics a sorry sighted card of 1-18 from long range. Seattle were held to a % of around 30 for most of the game, before scoring a few easy baskets in garbage time. Atlanta played out of their skins on defense, often forcing Seattle into low % shots and this was reflected accurately on the scoreboard.

For Atlanta, Jason Terry was the man, heating up for 23 points and 9 rebounds, including 4-7 from downtown. Stephen Jackson, Theo Ratliff, Dion Glover and Shareef Abdur-Rahim all hit double figures to give the Hawks a rare balanced scorecard. For Seattle, Murray was again in form, scoring 24 for the third time this season, and adding 7 rebounds. Rashard Lewis added 16 and 9, and rookie Luke Ridnour was the only other Sonic in double figures with 13.

The big difference in the game was perimeter shooting. Atlanta were hot all the way through, ending up on 8-15 shooting, most of those made in the first half to set up a commanding lead. The Hawks turned the ball over more, were outrebounded, scored less fast-break points and less points in the paint, yet still led for the entire game purely through an ability to hit their shots at a high rate. Seattle's 3 point shooting column was a sorry sight, and if not for a late one from Murray it would have been a swing and a miss from 18 attempts.

Seattle now set off on a tough road trip of 4 games in 5 days, starting in Minnesota and ending in Chicago, and will be looking to put this defeat behind them. Full credit to a courageous Atlanta team, who were inevitably given little to no chance but turned up and played a very good game of basketball.

Boxscore: http://www.nba.com/games/20031109/ATLSEA/boxscore.html

Next game: Tuesday, Nov 11 @ Minnesota, 5pm

2. Quyen

Quyen JBB JustBBall Member

aww...mayn the first season game I've seen so far, and it goes ku-poot... [​IMG] o well...next game ya heard? we're gunna be "ruff" and "tuff" haha...bad spelling, but Sonics, u CAN DO IT. :thumbsup: [​IMG] maybe [​IMG]

3. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Haha [​IMG]

Just a slip-up I'm hoping, Seattle usually do pretty well against Minnesota too so here's hoping we can get back on track.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Great to see Hawks get a road win...Buckets good play deserved a win...Even though I like the Sonics young team and Ray...but I'm boy needed to win this one.

5. Quyen

lol u a Hawks fan? yea...grrrr...Terry was doing soooo well. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting anadagirlballer4strt:</div><div class="quote_post">lol u a Hawks fan? yea...grrrr...Terry was doing soooo well. [​IMG] [​IMG]</div>

Hell no

Stephen Jackson is my boy thats all

And I'm just glad to see his team finally get a win on the road....The way he has played this season he deserves a better start than his team has got.Wish he was still in S.A

I'm no way shape or form a Hawks fan

7. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">Hell no

And I'm just glad to see his team finally get a win on the road....The way he has played this season he deserves a better start than his team has got.Wish he was still in S.A

I'm no way shape or form a Hawks fan</div>

I'll bet he regret turning down the Spurs offer in search of more money though...
    Good to see him stick it up the Nets in the the finals though.

8. Quyen

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">Hell no

I'm no way shape or form a Hawks fan</div>

yeah SJax is awesome...shoot, he deserves to be on a better team...

9. cigawutwut

cigawutwut JBB JustBBall Member

im not convinced after a loss like this, because if we shoot 5-18, which is still pathetic and not too much to ask from this group, we win. murray and rid stepped up, but i was dissapointed by rashard. why didn't he shoot more? but inside the 3pt line, we made 32/69 shots,and that's not bad, so whatever.