Sounds like we're getting screwed

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Ranger71, May 3, 2020.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

If he were to be traded, I rather use him to get a # 2 C than to get rid of Smith's cap hit one year early (unless there is a move B right behind it tied to using the freed up cap space).

2. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Rangers are at a point with so many legit prospects and not enough room to play all of them that they will make package deals most likely. I was really surprised that Keane had so much value he brought back Gauthier. I think Gauthier is going to be a really good player. That one for one I never saw coming but happy it did. I have been saying for months we need a number 2 center who is top shelf on draws. I was thinking about Horvat. He's under contract and the Canucks are going to have enormous salary cap problems soon. Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser will all be getting huge raises soon. They also don't have a young defense to build around their young offense. Their 5th overall pick defenseman is 22 and still in the minors. He's a bust. Tanev is a UFA. If he has a brain in his head he won't sign there. They should have traded him a long time ago. Myers is vastly overrated. They need young, legit defenseman prospects. I like Strome but he's not the answer here long term. I think they deal him somewhere else eventually.

To get a Horvat you probably are going to give up something like Robertson, Zac Jones, Canes 1st and Fast. It's a lot but I'm good with it. Stepan essentially returned a high first and DeAngelo . I don't think DeAngelo was a player people were very high on at the time. Jones has been drawing rave reviews. I don't see the Canucks ever doing much with that defense which really has one good, young defenseman on it. Some might not thing that will be enough but to me the Canucks have to do something bold. They have nothing on defense for the future. A young center Gaudette has been playing well for them and can get more ice time if they move Horvat.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  3. RangersFan

Yup, exactly what I have been saying. We cannot play all of these kids, and not everyone will fully pan out, so now is the time to make a smart trade with the many assets we have. For months it has all been about adding a legit # 2 C to complete this team. I will say if Gorton doesn't package and add this offseason, he is not doing his job. That is the next move here, and he has to know it. Having ALL these kids, and 2 more 1st round picks is excess. The time is now to make that move, and Gorton needs to be aware and know what needs to be done (and I think he does).

Imagine this lineup in the near future (think it will take a year for Miller and Lundkvist to be ready for these roles):

Kreider/Ziban/Buch
    Pan/# 2 C added/Kakko
    Gauthier/Chytil/Strome
    Lemieux/Howden/pick any kid

Miller/Trouba
    Lindgren/Fox
    DeAngelo/Lundkvist

That is a special team. A team that could be the best in the league. Stars in Ziban and Pan. Talent like Kakko and Buch. Kreider still strong. Chytil and Strome on the 3rd line. On D just stacked. Czar in goal. This is so close to happening. Just need to add that legit # 2 C. And even if we had to sacrifice Strome to be able to afford the # 2 C, we'd still be in a great spot. Get it done Gorton.

4. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Barron=pick any kid. Hopefully Kravtsov develops and becomes a solid piece.

5. RangersFan

Yes, great point. If Strome has to go for cap reasons, swap in Kravtsov for him on the 3rd line. Good looking SC type team.

Ranger71 likes this.
  6. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

7. Ranger71

Either we'll be in the round of 16 or have a shot at #1. If Toronto loses too that's a 25% chance.

8. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

But wouldn't we have Carolina's 1st pick in play for #1 overall if we win?

9. NYR2009

NYR2009 Member

10. Ranger71

Actually the only chance we have is if our own pick wins the 2nd lottery. Carolina/Toronto keep the higher of their picks. What we should hope either way is that the higher seeded teams lose so maybe we bump up to around 8/9 if we didn't win the lottery.

11. kreidertime

Either way, I don't care.

12. RangersFan

If we lose to the Canes we have a 12.5% chance to get the # 1 pick. Same as all 8 play in losers. Not a bad consolation lottery ticket if we get beat.

13. RangersFan

If the Rangers are eliminated by the ‘Canes, then their pick could go one of two routes:
    1. They’ll have an opportunity to win the Phase 2 lottery drawing. All eight losing teams will have equal odds — 12.5% — of landing the No. 1 pick.
    2. If they don't win the Phase 2 lottery, they’ll end up in the No. 9 through No. 14 range, depending on the other teams that are eliminated in the qualifying round.

14. Greyvtrayn

Rangers would need several upsets in the qualifying round to have a shot at moving up into the top 12 should they lose to Car. A lot of WC teams (Win, Minn, Chi, Ari) have fewer pts % than the Rangers and if those teams get eliminated they will slot ahead.

15. RangersFan

First of course you want to win. But winning most likely means Boston in round 1, which will be really tough. So worst case if they lose to the Canes it isn't terrible to get a 12.5% shot at # 1, or pick 9-14. And still have a second 1st round pick (Canes or Leafs).

Not a bad position to be in.

16. Greyvtrayn

Oh I agree. Although I think there is a decent chance they would not get Boston should they beat the Canes. Not that facing TB or Was would be any better for them.

17. RangersFan

I really don't understand the NHL. From what I have been reading they are closing in on a new CBA that will keep the cap flat at 81.5 mill the next two seasons. Unless there are also two non-cap impacting compliance buyouts in the CBA, which I don't think there are, how does that work? It truly blows my mind how the NHL operates, and the players accept it. Betteman is really awful, and the game simply does not grow as a result.

Think about no cap growth the next two seasons combined with no compliance buyouts. You might as well break up any decent team now, because no shot they can stay together. This is what Betteman wants. Teams breaking up all the time. Hard cap and no flexibility. Adds expansion teams and gives them huge advantages right out of the gate, I have said it before, it makes a league look like a minor league operation when a brand new expansion team makes the Finals.

Really is a joke how the NHL is run. As a Ranger fan get ready to say goodbye to kids over the next year or two since we won't be able re-sign them all, and forget about to adding anyone. To me this is even more reason to strike while the iron is hot. Need to deal a kid or two and the second 1st round pick for a proven C and/or LD.

18. kreidertime

Disagree. NBA is a joke. You already know going into the season that 2 or 3 teams have a chance. The rest of them are wasting their time. Baseball has very little competitive balance. The NFL has turnover all the time. The NHL does a lot like the NFL. The reason more people don't watch it is because minorities in cities tend to be poor and can't afford to play it. So they don't watch it. it's a white sport. You don't usually lose kids in the NHL until they are 26-27 when they are no longer kids and usually are overpaid at that point. You can keep the majority of your team together for a long time. You just have to be smart and not give out stupid contracts with NTC or NMC's like they did with Smith and Staal. You have to be really shrewd. They should not offer Fast or Strome a contract and should move them in the off-season. These are the moves you have to make if you want to keep your best players. You don't pay Strome 5.5 or Fast 4 million. You save that money to lock up Fox and Lindgren who will be a top d pairing for you over the next 5-7 years.

When Hank is off the books you pay Kakko early if he is getting better as well as Chytil. You use that 10 million for those 2 guys and lock them up to 4 year deals. Whining about the salary cap in hockey is moronic. It was the ability to spend more which made the Rangers a crappy team for years.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  19. RangersFan

I disagree with the hockey structure. I am totally fine with a cap, it is too low and restrictive though. That is my issue. Allow some flexibility. There is ZERO in the NHL. Also you are right, you have to be shrewd. Again the issue with the hockey structure is one bad deal and you are f'd. Again way too restrictive. You almost have to be perfect with your deals to keep a team together for more than a few years. That is not right IMO.

I do agree though Strome should go, and we should trade for a legit # 2 C and use the 5.5 lined up for Strome to pay him. And Fast will not be here. That one isn't even worth discussing. Unless he takes 2.5 or something like that, he'll be gone.

I hope for one compliance buyout, but if not next season will be tight and it will be very interesting to see how Gorton maneuvers this offseason.

20. Ranger71

Maybe instead of doing a flat buyout of Lundqvist they can eat 4m and someone will take him for one year, hoping with the extra rest he'll have had they catch lightning in a bottle.