Sources: Carmelo Anthony leaning toward leaving Knicks; Bulls, Rockets in contention

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Denny Crane, Jun 15, 2014.

1. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

2. TomBoerwinkle#1

TomBoerwinkle#1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

3. TomBoerwinkle#1

Re: Sources: Carmelo Anthony leaning toward leaving Knicks; Bulls, Rockets in content

Anthony wouldn't be in Rose's shadow in Chicago. He'd just share the limelight.

So if the chance to win a championship drives Anthony over the chance to make a max deal, then he should come to Chicago.

We'll know soon enough about his choice. Anthony officially opted out of the last year of his contract Monday and will be a free agent starting July 1.

His decision, lowercase, will be the main NBA storyline over the next few weeks, as long as James stays in Miami, that is.

Melo will have his moment. It's a decision that could have ripple effects across the league, especially if he picks Chicago and especially if the Bulls can keep power forward*Taj Gibson.

Rose, Anthony,*Joakim Noah*and Gibson would be a formidable core of a team capable of a multi-championship run. If you don't think Anthony would fit in with Chicago's culture, think again.

If you don't think Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau desperately wants to add a star like Anthony, you're nuts. No one in the NBA wants to win more every night than Thibodeau. He'd be a perfect coach for Anthony, and I think the forward knows it.

Anthony was spotted in some pictures from Paris via*Scottie Pippen's wife, Larsa, who is a friend of Anthony's wife, former MTV VJ Lala Anthony. Scottie is the special adviser to Bulls president and COO Michael Reinsdorf. One assumes he's been recruiting Anthony, not that the current star will listen to anyone but himself.

In a phone conversation about the upcoming World Basketball Festival, which will be held in Chicago in August, U.S. national team coach Mike Krzyzewski chuckled when asked if he would give a recruiting pitch for Chicago.

"Wherever Carmelo goes, they'll be very lucky," he said. "He's been one of our key players for the United States. He's really been the ultimate team player for us. Even in London, I asked him to come off the bench because I wanted to start one group and I thought he'd give us firepower and experienced national play off the bench, just like Wade in Beijing. Melo said: 'Coach, whatever you want to do. I just want to win.' That's the kind of guy he is, he's a warrior. I'd want him on any team."

Now, Melo isn't coming off the bench in Chicago, nor would Thibodeau ask him to be a facilitator. Thibodeau wants a scorer to take the pressure off Rose and give the Bulls a fourth-quarter scorer who can't be shut down by bigger defenders.

4. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Re: Sources: Carmelo Anthony leaning toward leaving Knicks; Bulls, Rockets in content

Not only would Melo be a god send for Rose, but will allow Rose to ease back and not have to worry about carrying the entire load from the get go!

5. truebluefan

K.C. Johnson ‏@KCJHoop 3m

Knicks-Mavs trade and Bulls passing on low price tag for Afflalo could be good signs for Melo derby.

6. TomBoerwinkle#1

I am already facepalming signing Melo, not getting an immediate title and hearing the bleating we should have moved up in the draft to dwvelop a stud.

or maybe that wouldn't happen.

would it?

7. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case

You should be face palming Melo because he'll score near 30 PPG and "fans" will treat him like they do Boozer.

8. TomBoerwinkle#1

I want the Melo deal and would welcome. I do know if Melo chooses elsewhere a vocal minority will blame Jerry and if we land Melo and don't get an immediate titke a vocal minority will blame Jerry. And if we do nothing, blame Jerry.

9. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

IF

K.C. Johnson ‏@KCJHoop 16s
    Bulls didn’t act worried about adding Randolph $, which Denver made mandatory to get McDermott. If FA gets serious, belief he can get moved.

10. transplant

You know that I hate to be negative, but I didn't like the A.Randolph part of the deal (but I still like the deal). I don't doubt that they can unload Randolph if needed, but I'm guessing it may be a little painful in terms of future assets.

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

He's our guy now. Anthony (Randolph).

He may not seem like much at first glance, but he seems like more than capable of playing backup PF and C. The guy does have a career 16.5 PER as a backup at both positions. His 12.2 PER last season wasn't so hot, but it beats Nazr's 10.1 PER and Kirk's 10.8. I mean, we had worse, so he's something of an improvement.

12. transplant

Have you read/heard GarPax say anything nice about Randolph? I mean it almost seems like they don't want to waste any lipstick on this pig.

13. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
  14. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

A possible S&T that I've heard about now is that the Bulls amnesty Boozer and renounce the rights to Kirk, DJ, etc, to get about 11-12 million under the cap.

They use that cap space to facilitate a S&T with New York that sends out Dunleavy, the non-guaranteed contracts, and some combination of Snell/picks/Mirotic to sweeten the deal.

The key here is that we'll be sending out about 14 million in contracts, and since we're under the cap we can accept 150% back in salary, which means we can start Melo at about 20 million.

New York saves money and gets useful assets for rebuilding.

I like this idea because I've never understood why NY would want to take back Boozer in a S&T. It makes no sense.

I've always been uneasy with the idea that we could sign Melo outright in FA, because he'd either have to take a pretty nasty paycut or we'd have to gut the team a little bit by trading off Taj/Dunleavy/Butler for nothing, which might leave the cupboard a little too bare.

But some version of this idea seems to work for both sides.

15. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

I've never understood why NY would be interested in doing the S&T at all.

If they don't, they have more leverage with Melo. Sign here, or sign with just a few (bulls not one) who can afford you (or take a huge pay cut).

If Melo walks, they save $50M. $50M is like 10x the MLE.

They can probably find a guy like Snell as a FA or D-Leaguer.

Expiring contracts this year are a wash for them and if they expire after this upcoming season they cost a lot. It would have to be for players they really really want, it would seem to me.

As far as assets... I think we just proved that a #11 pick can be traded for a #16 and #19 in even a deep draft. The Knicks may well end up with #11 or even better if they lose Melo.

I'm not sure they'd do Taj & Dunleavy and Butler and filler for Melo, either. That's a lot of expense (Salary and Tax) for good/not great players when they're losing a franchise talent.

16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/ask-sam-sam-smith-opens-his-mailbag-06.27.2014

There is an old adage that goes, if you are in a card game and you don't know who the fish is, chances are your the fish. We are being played by Carmelo. In comments made recently he talked about the importance of markets. On the NY side you have money, Phil and the NY stage. Plus, you figure that Carmelo plus those factors will draw other pieces as soon as Phil can figure out how to clean house.

Dan Wagner

Sam: I agree it’s a long shot and most around the NBA suspect Carmelo is using the Bulls as McGrady and Eddie Jones did in 2000 (which is ironic and insulting to now hear McGrady of all people lobby Carmelo for the Bulls) and LeBron and Wade did. Carmelo has said he’ll make his decision fast. If I were the Bulls I’d be pushing him to see if he’s serious at all and after a day if I got no answer I’d get on my way.

17. transplant

I agree with this, that is, that Anthony is probably using the Bulls and that the Bulls should nicely set a put-up-or-shut-up deadline on the proceedings.

18. truebluefan

Source: Knicks free agent Carmelo Anthony expected to make decision the 2nd week of July after visiting select teams.

— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo)

19. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

I expect he ends up staying. Or taking his talents to South Houston.

Tho Wade did the unexpected and opted out today. That suggests the Heat might be able to resign the big 3 for enough less to maybe take a shot at Melo.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ee-cash-carmelo-anthony-ear-article-1.1847672

Money is tight as Carmelo Anthony heads into free agency.

It must make Anthony crazy, what with Phil Jackson calling him out again in public to take a pay cut to return to the Knicks. And then Melo’s top suitors, starting one minute after midnight Monday night, still trying to find ways to come up with the kind of cash that will make Anthony want to uproot his family and move away from the NBA’s No. 1 stage.

The Bulls have not given any indication that they’re going to create the cap space for Anthony by using their one-time amnesty clause on Carlos Boozer. Inside the team’s executive offices, there was a genuine fear as of Friday that owner Jerry Reinsdorf won’t give his go-ahead to have Boozer’s $16.8 million lopped off the books. He’s as opposed to paying a player to walk away as he is to forking over even a dime in luxury tax.