Sources: Cavs working on assembling multi-team trade scenarios to acquire Jimmy Butler

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Vraiders, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    hahahah

Please no.

2. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    It's not smaller market teams these stars are going to. Durant to the Bay, PG wants to go to LA. The next time one goes to MIL, UTA. PDX, CHA, MEM, SAC, NO......let me know.

RipCityDSCPL, JFizzleRaider and BBert like this.
  3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Just stop....

4. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

CJ and Wall would be the backcourt, Jimmy is there at SF.
    Both Wall and Butler hang around the 33%-37% area from deep, i just think it will make the team more balanced in terms of offense-defense.

5. Blazers Roy

Why? i think it's an interesting discussion.
    Reminds me a bit of the Kidd\Marbury trade.

6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Any discussion of trading Dame makes the poster lose credibility IMO. There should be no discussion of it because there is absolutely 0% chance of it happening.

7. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

God, I'd love it if we picked up some 2nd tier talent! That would be amazing! Not even being sarcastic.

RipCityDSCPL, e_blazer and TBpup like this.
  8. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Dumpster diving.... it's the Portland way!

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

It's sickening that people settle

TBpup likes this.
  10. Blazers Roy

Jeez, we all want to keep Dame.
    Don't you enjoy a bit of theoretical discussion?

11. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I don't consider 2nd tier talent to be dumpster diving. Right now we have some borderline 1st tier talent with Dame/CJ/Nurk, and then a bunch of 3rd/4th tier talent with guys like Harkless (2/3), Turner (2/3), Crabbe (3), Vonleh (3/4), Aminu (4), Davis (4). Getting some legit 2nd tier talent (players between Harkless and Dame) is absolutely necessary for continued improvement. Cut bait on our 4th tier players and replace them with 2nd tier players and we're looking at home court advantage in the 1st and maybe 2nd round.

Eastoff likes this.
  12. Blazers Roy

2nd tier talent - We get it if Cuban doesn't want it.

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Sure, when it's realistic. :dunno:

14. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I'm right there with you. I'd love a few guys off of the Warriors' second tier. Iggy, Livingston, Clark, even McCaw...those bench guys are the ones who game after game provide the separation from the opponent's bench that usually provides the margin of victory.

15. Blazers Roy

It would be realistic if Danny Ainge was our GM :ghoti:

16. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Hold on there a minute. I love our team. And I was talking about the original comment and Portland lifestyle quirks. Any person who thinks that we don't have talent is probably John Camzano.

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  17. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

With Wade opting in I feel Chicago will keep Butler for at least 1 more season. Rebuilding with #3 pick does not make sense currently, it's not like it's very likely that no. 3 overall pick will end up even being as good as Butler long term, and they have Butler tied to a 2 more guaranteed years contract at decent value still (he has a player option in 2019 but will decline it).

They are apparently trying to acquire Lowry in free agency. If they do that, they should try to get a 1-year rental of Paul George. Lowry/Wade/Butler/George/Lopez is a rotation that could even cause Cavs trouble.

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    The Bulls seem happy with Rondo at PG. The team as constituted has little upside to sell the fans on. I don't think they were satisfied with how the season turned out with the roster as constituted. When Wade is gone, they'll have Butler and squat.

19. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Then they can trade Butler next year. Honestly, if I were them, I am giving this the final go this season. Go all the way to acquire Kyle Lowry or Chris Paul, send whatever assets you need to get Paul George for 1 season and at least entertain the fans for a year. They cannot rebuild with Butler because they are still a borderline playoffs team with him, pointless tanking if you keep him. Wade is there for one more year and then gone, he's not as good as he used to be but not terrible either. No. 16 pick will likely not turn into that much short term, by the time that player is ready Butler is probably gone already.

If they try to acquire Paul George through some trade now, let's say they offer Portis + Payne + Valentine + no. 16 + 2019 pick (that one will be valuable as Indiana will think they are awful in 2019), Indiana might eventually be tricked into taking that. Then you try to sell Lowry or Paul the idea of playing with George, Butler and Wade - that's going to at least make them think.

I know it's a crazy idea and it won't happen but would be sort of fun if they somehow emerged as a potential contender for just 1 season. Also because I love Chicago as a city, having been there multiple times for longer periods.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ade-bulls-haugh-spt-0621-20170620-column.html

Over the last two seasons as Butler emerged as one of the league's top 15 players, the Bulls were 83-81. They won zero playoff series. They peaked last year in the postseason against the Celtics because of Rajon Rondo more than Butler. Being the Bulls' best player now doesn't entitle Butler to stick around indefinitely, not when he is worth more to the Bulls as a trade piece than a centerpiece. In the NBA, for middling teams like the Bulls to take two steps forward, it often requires taking one giant step back. Trading Butler would qualify. If Butler truly wants to win as he claims, he not only would welcome a trade but push for it.

Face reality in the age of LeBron James. The Bulls aren't winning an NBA title with Butler as their best player. And they likely aren't going find his value any higher around the league than it is this week leading up to Thursday's NBA draft. So with as many as three teams reportedly interested in Butler — the Celtics, Cavaliers and Timberwolves — the Bulls have an opportunity to acquire young assets for their All-Star guard and an obligation to exhaust every option. The fate of the Bulls teams that plan on contending for an NBA championship again as early as 2020 depends on it.

The longer Butler stays with the Bulls, the closer he comes to signing a whopping five-year, $230 million contract extension in 2018 under the designated veteran exception. As willing as the Bulls have been to entertain trade offers for their star player over the past year, it suggests management lacks a consensus on Butler as the face of the franchise worth nearly a quarter-billion dollars. That thought alone likely makes some people in the building cringe.

As hard as Butler has worked to become a complete player, and as much as he embraces the starring role he plays with the Bulls, his diva-like tendencies make such a hefty investment fraught with peril. Butler can be as hard on coaches as he is on defenders, the consummate No. 2 for a championship-caliber team disguised on the Bulls as a No. 1, always more Pippen than Jordan. He can help the Bulls organization in the years to come more by going than staying — but only if he leaves now.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.