Rumor SPURS TO TRADE LAMARCUS ALDRIDGE TO PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS, DEMAR DEROZAN TO MIAMI HEAT

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Phatguysrule, Sep 1, 2020.

1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Something tells me if Greg Popovich was on the line Stotts would get his walking papers PDQ!

Phatguysrule and Chris Craig like this.
  2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

We could trade SAS Pop for Stotts

TBpup and kjironman1 like this.
  3. kjironman1

I don't think so.
    Hood might come back and play but he ain't gonna be "His old self" and it certainly will not be in one year. He might get better but it will take 18 months to 2 years to fully recover if he ever does? Even his workouts show he can jump but not land yet. Most have him dunking and hanging on the rim then dropping straight down. Not a knock on him at all. Just the nature of the injury.

4. kjironman1

Didn't they condemn those coach trades last time?
    Serious question? Didn't the league sour on that after the Doc trade?

5. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm very skeptical Hood will ever be a rotational player. Wes is basically a vet minimum guy post injury, Hood was never at Wes level pre injury, and Wes work ethic is second to none.

There isn't anyone close to Hood pre injury that was a starter post injury.

TBpup and Buffalo Custard like this.
  6. kjironman1

There are a couple but the game has changed since. A few of them and the other were greats that were starters. If you consider Kobe he played but not well. Wes never got all the way back. Ewing and Wilkins were both a different time and type of player. Boogie is not the same. We will see on Durant?
    There are other of course but getting all the way back is not likely? I guess we will hope for the best right?

7. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Rudy Gay is probably the best comparison. He's not the same player he was before the injury, but he's had a good career since recovery. He's the same height as Hood, but 15 pounds heavier. Gay's game was more based on athleticism before the injury, where Hood is likely to still be effective as a shooter. I expect Hood will come off the bench behind Ariza next year and play 10-15 mpg. After that, his contract is up with the Blazers and any thought of re-signing him would be based upon what he can show this next season.

kjironman1 likes this.
  8. kjironman1

Yeah forgot about Rudy. That would be great if Hood comes back that well. Brings hope for the future for sure!

e_blazer likes this.
  9. HolyBackboard

HolyBackboard 2 Hot 2 Stop It

Breanna Stewart suffered the same injury last year and is essentially back to her 2018 MVP form for the Seattle Storm. I don't think the Achilles injury is as devastating as it once was given the advancements made in the medical field and recovery.

Hoodie was never overly athletic, nor did he possess a dynamic first-step. He's a fantastic catch-and-shoot player, who can go to work on the low-block against smaller defenders, and is an intelligent defender. If the season starts in January, that would give Hoodie around 14 months to recover which is fantastic.

SlyPokerDog, blazerkor and e_blazer like this.
  10. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Wes Matthews was never reliant on athleticism either. But after his injury all of his stats, and most importantly his shooting percentages, dropped off a cliff. I think you guys are underestimating how being just slightly slower/worse in all aspects can affect a player at the NBA level. I'm not saying Hood can't come back and contribute, I just wouldn't count on it or factor it into my plans for next season. If he does come back and play well, great, but don't go in with that sort of expectation.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Probably a dumb question but could a mod merge the two Lamarcus threads together....they have basically the same conversation going and I forget which one I'm posting in....the other title is Lamarcus and Dame get along now.....something to do with that

Phatguysrule likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Wasn't Hoodie's just a tear as opposed to Wes who had it completely severed? That makes a huge difference in recovery

13. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I have him pegged as a backup at SF. I don’t think that’s unreasonable at all. I doubt many Nets fans are writing KD off for next season.

14. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

There is quite a difference going from arguably the best player in the league coming back as a worse version of himself, versus a regular rotation player.

I don't think Durant will be in the conversation for best player in the league again, which is the level I had him at before the injury, but obviously he'll still be really good.

15. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

Maybe in 2016?

16. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

No, Hood completely tore it which is the same as severed.

riverman likes this.
  17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Maybe even in 2020 being able to keep pairings of Nurk/Melo and LA/Collins would be pretty tough.

18. pougie

pougie Active Member

I’d rather we not trade for Aldridge there won’t be any other team that wants to give up anything of significance for him. We’d have to give up like $20m in salary to get him. I expect him to be traded and bought out before the playoffs unless there is a playoff that will take his salary. If he clears waivers, which I think is likely, he’ll be able to join us at a vet min rather than $20+m and we would still have the assets to make other moves. If not by the 2021 playoffs, I think we’ll get him in 2021 free agency. I see getting Aldridge back as a waiting game, so no point in giving up any 1st rounders or young guys for him at this age. Better to just sit still with Aldridge and focus on getting a 2-way forward and other pieces before Aldridge returns. Getting Aldridge should be an addition to a good offseason or trade deadline, but getting him shouldn’t be the bulk of your offseason’s efforts.

TBpup, SharpesTriumph and BBert like this.
  19. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Wes' big move was the step-back 3 he'd developed a year or so before his injury. That was his way to create space for his own shot and also requires an enormous amount of leg strength. It also put a tremendous amount of stress on the legs and ankle.

Hood's game is very different. He's generally a catch and shoot guy working with guys who draw defenders. He's a guy who can post up.

I'm optimistic he can come back and play at a similar level to what he was doing when he got hurt because of his offensive game and also I think strides continue to be made in repairing these injuries. I have more questions on a dropoff on the defensive end of the court.

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

whoever floated the rumor had the trade giving us the Spurs 2021 protected first round pick plus LA with them getting Collins, Little and Ariza.....we're not shipping picks out, we're getting a first rounder...that is what started the whole thing