OT Stan Van Gundy Says He'd Get Rid of NBA Draft, Make Rookies Enter as Free Agents

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Sep 30, 2017.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...f-nba-draft-make-rookies-enter-as-free-agents

[​IMG]
    Carlos Osorio/Associated Press
    NBA owners recently passed draft lottery reform to try to eliminate tanking, but Detroit Pistons head coach Stan Van Gundy doesn't believe that step was drastic enough.

Speaking to reporters Friday, Van Gundy stated that if the league truly wants to eliminate tanking, it should abolish the draft, do away with the rookie salary scale and make all incoming players free agents.

"I'd get rid of it, just get rid of the draft altogether," Van Gundy said. "We'd just deal with the salary cap. Make all [rookies] free agents coming in, and if I want to go give a guy $50 million a year, good, but I got to do it under the cap."

Van Gundy added that if rookies became free agents, he thinks it would open the door for small-market teams to offer more money than those residing in big-market destinations, which would help the league's parity problem.

"They say everybody would want to go to L.A," Van Gundy said. "Well, how much money are they going to give up to go to those places?"

Van Gundy also suggested the NBA could level the playing field by eliminating max contracts.

"I think if you did that and you had no individual max on players, we'd start to get some parity in the league, but the league really doesn't want parity," he said, per the Detroit Free Press' Vince Ellis. "They want the superteams, and I get that. It's worked well, business-wise."

As far as the new rules are concerned, the NBA's Board of Governors passed new legislation Thursday that adjusted the lottery odds. Now, the teams with the three worst records at season's end will each have a 14 percent chance at securing the No. 1 overall pick.

The team with the worst record previously owned a 25 percent shot, while the second- and third-worst records had 19.9 and 15.6 percent odds of landing the top selection. Furthermore, the lottery draw will now include the top four teams, as opposed to the top three under the old guidelines.

HailBlazers likes this.
  2. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

It would never happen but this is actually a good idea. It would cause teams like GS and OKC to not be able to afford star rookies.

3. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

It sounds stupid on the surface, but it does make quite a bit of sense.

On the other hand, GSW built their superteam with under-valued rookies, free agents, and trades. SVG's proposal would make it tough to restock in the future when the core eventually breaks up, but I'm not sure it would have any hindsight effect on the team as it currently stands.

4. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I just think about what it's like to be a fan of a really crappy team, the only thing you have to look forward to is the draft. Crappy teams rarely ever win the FA battle (unless it's a mega market).

Under this plan, the bad teams would end up dealing out mega contracts to attract rookies and the vast majority wouldn't live up to their deals, so they'd just sink even lower.

Blazers Roy and SIeepwalker like this.
  5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

We would never get a star player again. Might as well pack it up if that were to happen.

6. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    If you need an engineering degree to qualify as an Engineer today, Why isn't a basketball degree require to qualify as a professional Basketball player?

7. Natebishop3

This is..... a silly question.

illmatic99 likes this.
  8. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Hiring the best coach would make a hell of a difference.

9. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Why silly?

10. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Because you can count on one hand the number of professions that require a specific degree.

11. Natebishop3

Because

A) College is a joke for most professions

B) Are you going to be the one to tell Kobe or Kevin Garnett or Moses Malone that they needed a college degree?

12. PHXBlazer1

PHXBlazer1 Well-Known Member

I will, selfishly, object to this idea, because I absolutely love watching the NBA Draft on a Thursday in late June.

13. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    What makes them special? Why the different standard?

14. Natebishop3

Because most professions don't have leagues where you can go and prove your worth. An engineer needs a piece of paper to show he knows his shit because there's no other way to prove to employers that he's a worthy candidate. A pro athlete can join a league, whether it's high school or college or a minor league, and show that they're better than anyone else on the court. They can show in workouts. They can show in combines. There's also way more professional engineers than there are professional basketball players. A piece of paper wouldn't tell an NBA team anything.

You were in the military, did you have a college degree?

You served with officers that had college degrees, did that degree automatically make them good at their job?

15. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

Oden would have got like 30 million a year.

Ummm, nah.

16. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

From the Bulls or Pacers.

17. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Major league baseball has an interesting system to International Fee Agency that might work. Every team gets a slotted amount based on previous years record. There is no draft for the players outside North America and Puerto Rico so they can sign with any team within the slotted amount. The rules are that you can only trade for a certain amount over your limit and if you try to sign players being that cap you lose your entire pool next year. It was just instituted this signing period but I have heard of no major issues.

18. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Wait until the Ohtani post coming up in about 2 months... :)

19. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Damnit! Lay off Mariner's fans. He's ours! :smiley-chainsaw: No seriously though, hes the best Japanese player since Ichiro. His highlights are incredible. Two way pitching/hitting talent is once in a generation. Oh well, back to basketball.

20. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

The new MLB system is a hard cap. Teams can't go over it.