Starters...

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Mamba, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Rumor has it Kwame has bulked up to play C because he wants to and so does management... I think it will look similar to this

C- Kwame
    PF- Jamison
    SF- Hayes ( I dont like this)
    SG- Hughes
    PG- Arenas

My main beef with Hayes at teh SF is that he wont reach his full potential there, he will get overpowerd by stronger ones, I think we could see Larry Hughes shipped away by the trade deadline for a respectable SF, move Hayes down to the 2...pending if Hayes performs how well he has been in the summer league...post your thougts.

2. Dr. H.H. Holmes

Dr. H.H. Holmes JBB JustBBall Member

This will depend on if we match the offer for Thomas or not. If we do......

C - Thomas
    PF - Brown
    SF - Jamison
    SG - Hughes
    PG - Arenas

I think Hayes is going to be an incredible player but I dont like the idea of him starting yet. He could be a major punch off the bench & subbing in for the 2. I dont like the idea of getting rid of Hughes, the offense ran more smoothly with him out there last year. We really sucked when he went down. If we dont keep Thomas I dont know, I hope we do though because it gives us alot of options for big men. I'd hate to see Kwame starting at center, he's just starting to come into his own at PF & I'd hate to see how he would adjust to playing center.

3. og15

og15 JBB *********

I don't like this either, I'm pretty sure ET is gone, but first I don't like Jamison at PF, he's more of a defensive liability than he is at SF, and I don't like Hayes at SF, he's way too small for it, and will be outmatched, and I agree he won't reach his full potential playing there.

4. HoopsAvenue

HoopsAvenue JBB JustBBall Member

Why the hell is Kwame trying to play center??? He's a future all-star at PF...don't let these idiots ruin your career, Kwame! I want to see:

Arenas
    Hughes
    Jamison
    Brown
    Haywood/Thomas

5. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting HoopsAvenue:</div><div class="quote_post">Why the hell is Kwame trying to play center??? He's a future all-star at PF...don't let these idiots ruin your career, Kwame! I want to see:

Arenas
    Hughes
    Jamison
    Brown
    Haywood/Thomas</div>
    Because he has the size, he is built like Jermaine O'neal who plays some C in the east, but Kwame has added more size and muslce, and is near 7'0...should be a C and he wants to play C.

6. Ice

Ice JBB Member

C: Brendan Haywood
    PF: Kwame Brown
    SF: Antwan Jamison
    SG: Larry Hughes
    PG: Gilbert Arenas

The Wizards still need to decide whether they want to match the Bucks bid for Etan Thomas.

You could possibly switch Brown at center and Jamison at PF, but I wouldn't want to see Kwame play center.

Tough time deciding that lineup, it could go so many ways.

7. HoopsAvenue

Not that he can't play C, but he's not a good back-to-the-basket player at this point, which a really good C needs to be. I'd rather see him at PF, playing from the high post, with the option to shoot or drive by his man, and occasionally work down low. I'd also like to see him matched with a rugged rebounder like Etan. Banging with big centers could wear Kwame down. It doesn't really matter if they call him a C right now, but, for the long term, I think he's better as a PF.

You made the J.O. comparison, which I agree with, but take a look at these numbers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?statsId=3120

JO scores less, rebounds less, and picks up more fouls as a C. He also takes less shots and gets to the foul line less. I think all of that has to do with the fact that he is going against bigger, stronger guys who can frustrate him and wear him down. I think the same would apply to Kwame. JO's shooting % is much higher at C, but I think a guy like that shouldn't just be cleaning up around the basket, he should be creating his own shot, and thus probably shooting a bit lower.

Let me know what you think. This is interesting!

(LOL, I just saw that JO's stats at C were only based off one game, but I still think it would become a trend.)

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">Because he has the size, he is built like Jermaine O'neal who plays some C in the east, but Kwame has added more size and muslce, and is near 7'0...should be a C and he wants to play C.</div>

8. eYeKey

eYeKey JBB JustBBall Member

I know i'm going to get blasted by you guys on this one......but this is what I think we should have as our starting 5.
    pg - gilbert
    sg - larry
    sf - jared
    pf - jamison
    c - kwame

This gives us a decent-sized lineup. And we should do a great job on the glass. This leaves the bench with hayes, blake, juan, brendan, john peter ramos(?), etan (?). Maybe if we can pickup nother backup SF in free agency...the bench will be deep enough. [​IMG]

9. Mamba

the only thing I will blast you about is....JARED F*CKING JEFFRIES!? I would much rather have Jarvis Hayes there, everything else I agree with, Kwame has favored the C position this summer, Jamison can play it in the east with Kmart gone, Gilbert and Larry are the sensible players at their positions...I just think the way Jarvis has been tearing it up in the offseason, I think we need to give him a shot to start at the 3..let him feel it out because he said he has hit the weight room, he might be good there but I doubt it...I wonder if he will take the starting spot from Hughes sometimes this year.

10. eYeKey

eYeKey JBB JustBBall Member

I feel you on Jarvis. I like Jarvis, just off the bench for now. Did you happen to see how Jared tore the glass up in March/April? Offensive rebounds in particular. Remember, this guy was a #10(?) pick a couple years ago. He has more offense than we saw last year. Why not give someone 6'11" that is agile a shot at SF? He definately could cause matchup problems. How can someone 6'7/8" shoot over that guy with ease??

11. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting eYeKey:</div><div class="quote_post">I feel you on Jarvis. I like Jarvis, just off the bench for now. Did you happen to see how Jared tore the glass up in March/April? Offensive rebounds in particular. Remember, this guy was a #10(?) pick a couple years ago. He has more offense than we saw last year. Why not give someone 6'11" that is agile a shot at SF? He definately could cause matchup problems. How can someone 6'7/8" shoot over that guy with ease??</div>

Jeffries got pushed around a lot last year by guys a lot shorter and smaller than him, he is very frail..he has no offensive game, he went through a streak last year where he missed like 43 consecutive shots or something, including 5 layups...He does hustle a lot I love that..

12. HoopsAvenue

Jefferies could be like a Tayshaun Prince, but he needs a lot of work. Remember when we had so many injuries they were trying JJ at PG? It was frightening to watch. Here's my depth chart if I was EJ:

PG: Arenas/Blake
    SG: Hughes/Dixon
    SF: Jamison/Hayes/Jefferies
    PF: Brown/Thomas/Jefferies
    C: Haywood/Thomas

13. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

PG: Arenas/Blake/Dixon
    SF: Jamison/Hayes/Jefferies
    PF: Brown/Thomas/Jefferies
    C: Haywood/Thomas/John Ramos

14. Mamba

Well I dont think we will match Thomas so here is mine:
    PG: Arenas/Blake/Dixon
    SF: Hayes/Jamison/Jefferies
    PF: Jamison/Kwame/Jefferies
    C: Kwame/Haywood

I just have a feeling it will end up like taht unless we make one more move, we need some depth..

15. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

Anyone think Pete John Ramos will make the active roster?

16. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting eYeKey:</div><div class="quote_post">I feel you on Jarvis. I like Jarvis, just off the bench for now. Did you happen to see how Jared tore the glass up in March/April? Offensive rebounds in particular. Remember, this guy was a #10(?) pick a couple years ago. He has more offense than we saw last year. Why not give someone 6'11" that is agile a shot at SF? He definately could cause matchup problems. How can someone 6'7/8" shoot over that guy with ease??</div>
    WHy? He's doesn't have the handles to play on the perimeter even evident in the summer league games I watched, and his shot isn't that good, he's no Tayshaun with that shot, if he can improve his handles and his shot drastically then he can be a good three, but till then he's a bencher.

17. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting banks3:</div><div class="quote_post">Anyone think Pete John Ramos will make the active roster?</div>
    I forgot all about him...yea I think he will..I thnk it will end up looking like this:

PG-Gilbert Arenas/Steve Blake/Juan Dixon
    SG-Larry Hughes/Juan Dixon/Jarvis Hayes
    SF-Jarvis Hayes/Jared Jeffries/Antawn Jamison
    PF-Antawn Jamison/Jared Jeffries/Kwame Brown
    C-Kwame Brown/Brendan Haywood/John Peter Ramos

18. og15

og15 JBB *********

I think John Ramos will be better than expected, he would get in the rotation with the other lineup, but if we have the Kwame at center one it will be hard for him.

One thing is that we'll have no shot blocking in the starting lineup, Kwame isn't a big blocker, hardly much of a blocker, and Jamison defiantely doesn't block shots.

19. Dr. H.H. Holmes

Dr. H.H. Holmes JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">I think John Ramos will be better than expected, he would get in the rotation with the other lineup, but if we have the Kwame at center one it will be hard for him.

One thing is that we'll have no shot blocking in the starting lineup, Kwame isn't a big blocker, hardly much of a blocker, and Jamison defiantely doesn't block shots.</div>
    I read that alot of team officials think Ramos will be the steal of the draft. They said he performed dominated his Puerto Rican league which includes college & NBDL talent. I know thats not saying much but he's like 19, so he has alot of time to learn.

I thought if we match Etan's offer we should start him. Even though he gives up size at center, he's strong & a good shot blocker. Our starting lineup would be the fastest team in the league from basket to basket & pretty decent on defense. Plus look at the size of our players in the other positions if Etan started center.

PG - Arenas/6'3
    SG - Hughes/6'5
    SF - Jamison/6'9
    PF - Brown/6'11
    C - Thomas/6'10

That's a team thats big, fast, & should be able to score at will.

20. og15

og15 JBB *********

Well not really big at the 2 with Hughes, he's a little short, and very very weak lol