Status Quo...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Gronk Brady, Jul 18, 2018.

1. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I don't mean anything by this but it is interesting that two of the biggest anti-Olshey posters say the exact opposite thing.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. Gronk Brady

Gronk Brady Well-Known Member

If a player has brought his city a championship, then they can have some say in roster moves... other than that, players should have no say and let the GM do his job...

3. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    Not one bit. Players play, coaches coach, owners cut the checks and a gm is supposed to be able to find the players with the talent and ability to play together, when he starts letting players or coaches influence that he’s pretty much worthless imo....or just scared to pull the trigger without having other people to point the finger at when his decisions end up being the wrong ones.

Gronk Brady likes this.
  4. LayneStaley

Badass
    I agree if your Michael Jordan, Kobe, LBJ or someone of the SUPERstar caliber and the face of the NBA then you deserve a heads up but still not veto power.

Propagandist and Gronk Brady like this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

hell yeah....that's a no brainer if he's looked at as our franchise player!
    But a GM should never tell even his franchise player we won't trade you.

6. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    My answer would be that you want your coach and best players to be involved in the “long term plan”, but the GM still needs to be the guy who makes the decisions. Unless of course you don’t want your current best player or two and Coach aren’t part of the long term plan.

I think players are younger and tend to be more emotional, and also tend to only see there window, and not the organizations window. From all I’ve read about the spurs back in the Tim Duncan Era, Timmy played a big role in helping them identify the right personalities and talents, seemed to work ok at least until recently.

7. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

I think Dame is unique. I think with his brand of leadership and level-headedness and candor, coupled with his embrace of Portland and the team, he is 100 times more valuable to this franchise than Olshey. If ever there was a candidate for Blazer for Life, it would be Dame.

Orion Bailey, RR7 and dviss1 like this.
  8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This doesn't even sound like it's in the realm of reality.

You think that Magic didn't say anything to Lebron when he added this guy to the roster:

[​IMG]

We see what happened when Bob Whitsitt said he "never studied chemistry in college".

9. LayneStaley

Badass
    I see dame here until the final year or two of his playing career, and then we will trade him to whoever has the best or second best odds of winning a championship that season as a thank you for his services.

10. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Nah I disagree I work closely with the owner Where I work when we hire engineers or developers, and he always asks our opinions and has most of the team who will work with an individual to do short interviews with people we may hire, it helps when building a team to have current team members get a feel for if the prospect is s good feel or not.

BBert and Orion Bailey like this.
  11. LayneStaley

Badass
    Did you read my follow up post right below that one?

Read then post

12. Propagandist

In fact, half of my irritation with Olshey is that he hasn't been successful in getting the right guys around Dame...who is at his peak and probably just crested. And instead seems to be aiming somewhere further ahead...

13. LayneStaley

Badass
    I see what your saying and agree that’s a good strategy in real life jobs, I don’t think it is in professional sports, there are many reasons unbasketball related that players might not want a certain player coming to their team, even if it made the team better.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  14. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Well I believe it’s the GM’s job to make the final decisions, but I guess I see it as part of his job to make well informed decisions too and using your coach and players to get information, and opinions from, I don’t think it hurts...

15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Nope! I like to do the opposite!

16. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Isn't it important in today's game to have a player that is friends and recruits other guys to play with him?

That's how the Heat got LeBron and Bosh to team up with Wade, it wasn't anything special Pat Riley did. It's also how CP3 went to the Rockets as Harden convinced him to accept his player option and get traded.

If you saw the press conference for Cousins he specifically mentioned CJ trying to talk him out of it and we know he and Dame respect each other. It seems like we only had a chance to get him because of that.

Players can tamper all year while GM's can't.

17. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    What if they are consulting Dame?

It could be the reason why Stotts still has a job, why Dame hasn't demanded a trade, and why CJ is still on the team, couldn't it?

You could point to the Ed Davis thing as evidence to the contrary but couldn't Dame have been sad to lose his friend while also thinking they had a shot at Cousins because of it?

18. Propagandist

You know, I don't love guesswork. I mean, he could be consulting with Dame.

But the fact that Dame met with Paul Allen withOUT Olshey, the Ed Davis stuff, the recent "we tried, I guess" interview, etc. I think you could argue against him being consulted.

Then again, I seem to remember Dame being at the meeting with Parsons, and there are 8 billion pictures of them talking/laughing/sitting together in the practice facility. I just think you could argue either way.

But if I were Olshey, I'd stop prefacing everything with "Look" and start/continue consulting with Dame.

19. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I think VJ thought we were landing him.. I truly believe if Nurk or DMC had a different agency, then Cousins would be in a Blazers uniform this season.

20. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Maybe, I don’t know what I’d be more annoyed with the Blazers never being in the conversation for guys like Kawhi, PG13, DMC or that they apparently were in it and couldn’t get it done. I realize there are a lot of pieces involved in trades so it’s not all on NO, just part of me is happy hey they tried! Part of me is like it would be nice to pull one of those trades off someday, it’s frustrating not being able to. :nerd: