Stepan and Rannta to Arizona

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by RangersFan, Jun 23, 2017.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Thornton is slow as Carton trying to think. You and your f'n vets.

2. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thornton hit the downside. No need to be the team that hands him a final contract.

3. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

On a cheap deal they should take a shot. They are thin at center. Hanzal wants a good contract. Unless they want to be tied up for 4-6 years with him....I'm watching this season for a cup, not to develop the next fuckin grinder

4. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, not interested in Thornton unless he took a crazy low deal just to keep playing.

Here is my bottom line, we have 23 mill of cap space now and a few holes to fill. Gorton will be doing a lot of work over the next 2 weeks to complete this team. I have faith in him to get a C, a dman to pair with McDonagh, and maybe even a 4th line faceoff C and a 2nd pair dman to play with Skjei as well.

He will get good stuff done, and that is why I like this trade today even more. In a capped league we simply could not allow Stepan to be here with a 6.5 AAV under a NTC for 2 or 3 years...no way. The value was not there in that contract, so we had to move him. And Zona wanted the one more year we'd have Raanta for as a kicker, so be it. For that we get the # 7 pick, a dman who can QB the PP and is a R shot with great skating ability, AND we got great cap flexibility...which simply cannot be undervalued here.

If you told me Gorton was done, then yeah I'd have concerns, but I have zero doubt we will see a handful of moves to complete the team in the near future.

5. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

For a backup maybe they look at Pavelec or Chad J again. I like the idea of maybe adding Dwight King. I would try and keep Miller at W but who knows.

6. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

when was the last time the Rangers had two first round draft picks? Wake me up, I am dreaming. Stepan must be considered as one of the better draft picks in their history. I know he did not do much in the playoffs and was bad on face-offs but the guy was a 50 point guy pretty much all of his career here.

7. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Stepan was a consistent scorer but one of the worst faceoff men in the NHL, great trade getting rid of Derek. The only way I would have kept him is if he moved to RW and shot more. I agree with moving Miller to C and think Graves easily makes the team on his shot alone. I want Smith resigned over Shat and am greedy enough to want Staal gone too. It's refreshing to see a GM who recognizes weaknesses and addresses them rather than standing pat.

UFA centers to consider - Sam Gagner, Brian Boyle, Nick Bonino, Daniel Winnik