Steph Is Not Untouchable

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

What about Marbury for an expiring contract expiring in 2007?

2. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">How about showing some respect for other posters? Nobody is picking a fight with you, so don't pick a fight with me.</div>

We'll you'll have to excuse me. I took offense to one or two things you said. But hopefully now we have an understanding. [​IMG] See... I offer you peace... :beerchug: (best peace smiley I could find).

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">How about a different, more realistic trade involving Marbury?</div>

One possibility even though I'm probably asking for a while lot of trouble by suggesting this is...Marbury to the Lakers for their first round draft pick and their first round 2006 draft pick. Kobe needs some help down in LA and even though Marbury is a "career loser" I'm sure Kobe will be able to lead the Lakers to the playoffs if he had Marbury's help. And how about Marbury for Big Z and someone else? Both teams get what they need.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

3. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">One possibility even though I'm probably asking for a while lot of trouble by suggesting this is...Marbury to the Lakers for their first round draft pick and their first round 2006 draft pick. Kobe needs some help down in LA and even though Marbury is a "career loser" I'm sure Kobe will be able to lead the Lakers to the playoffs if he had Marbury's help. And how about Marbury for Big Z and someone else? Both teams get what they need.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.</div>
    I think we can get a lot more for Marbury than just 2 first rounders. At least 3. is what we should gvet giving up Marbury. I think getting maybe Brian Grant in the deal would be good too.

Another scenario I think will be interesting is Marbury and Crawford to Dallas for Devin Harris, Shawn Bradley, Tariq Abdul-Wahad and a first round pick or something like that. We would get a legit center for shot blocking (even better in the east) and get a first rounder and a nice young PG.

Also Trading Marbury to L.A. for just Kobe works for me too! [​IMG]

4. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">We'll you'll have to excuse me. I took offense to one or two things you said. But hopefully now we have an understanding. [​IMG] See... I offer you peace... :beerchug: (best peace smiley I could find).</div>

:beerchug:

Anyways, as for actual trade possibilities, I like Marbury for Z and Marbury for Laker picks. Here's one that I thought up - Stephon Marbury and JYD for Sam Cassell, Wally Sczerbiak, and Trenton Hassell. This trade doesn't necessarily benefit one team more than another, but it seems both franchises are in need of some kind of change.

5. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">
    One possibility even though I'm probably asking for a while lot of trouble by suggesting this is...Marbury to the Lakers for their first round draft pick and their first round 2006 draft pick. Kobe needs some help down in LA and even though Marbury is a "career loser" I'm sure Kobe will be able to lead the Lakers to the playoffs if he had Marbury's help. And how about Marbury for Big Z and someone else? Both teams get what they need.</div>

If Kobe and Odom couldn't coexist, what makes you think Marbury and Kobe will be able to? It wouldn't happen. They each need the ball to be successful so it really wouldn't work out too well. That's exactly what happened this year with Odom and Kobe, now ya throw and improved Butler and Marbury into the picture, you're just asking for chemistry problems and other on the court issues, cause all of those players will be wanting the ball, and unfortunately, there is only one to go around. Nope, wouldn't work, not a chance.

6. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Do the Knicks really want Wallyworld and his contract and his blackhole offense? He's a great shooter, which is what made him a one-time allstar, but still... that defense.... ech!

7. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Teams won't be willing to give up 3 first-rounders for Marbury, that type of deal restricts a team for years. I mean the Raps basically gave VC for 2 first-rounders, so I think Marbury could be traded for a pick and an expiring contract.
    Portland could be a possibility, cause they never care that much about team chemistry.
    Also, with Big Z, isn't contract up at the end of the year? So it would have to be a sign and trade.

8. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting R_ChutneY:</div><div class="quote_post">Teams won't be willing to give up 3 first-rounders for Marbury, that type of deal restricts a team for years. I mean the Raps basically gave VC for 2 first-rounders, so I think Marbury could be traded for a pick and an expiring contract.
    Portland could be a possibility, cause they never care that much about team chemistry.
    Also, with Big Z, isn't contract up at the end of the year? So it would have to be a sign and trade.</div>
    I don't know. The Blazers organization is really high on Telfair. What may work is Marbury playing shooting guard and perhaps Telfair at the PG. I don't think that will work out though.

9. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting R_ChutneY:</div><div class="quote_post">Teams won't be willing to give up 3 first-rounders for Marbury, that type of deal restricts a team for years. I mean the Raps basically gave VC for 2 first-rounders, so I think Marbury could be traded for a pick and an expiring contract.
    Also, with Big Z, isn't contract up at the end of the year? So it would have to be a sign and trade.</div>

Blazers won't trade off to get Marbury. For that matter, I'm thinking the only way that it'd work is if Miles were to be involved, but I'm not totally sure on that aspect. And personally, I don't even think Isiah Thomas is dumb enough to take up that contract.....but ya never know I guess.

10. Tribute to H2O

You guys are going to have to bear with me. I wanted to respond to a few people at once and I decided to quote everybody so there's no confusion.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Moo2K4:</div><div class="quote_post">If Kobe and Odom couldn't coexist, what makes you think Marbury and Kobe will be able to? It wouldn't happen. They each need the ball to be successful so it really wouldn't work out too well. That's exactly what happened this year with Odom and Kobe, now ya throw and improved Butler and Marbury into the picture, you're just asking for chemistry problems and other on the court issues, cause all of those players will be wanting the ball, and unfortunately, there is only one to go around. Nope, wouldn't work, not a chance.</div>

I see what you're saying. But there's a subtle difference between Kobe playing with Odom and Kobe hypothetically playing with Marbury. I mean with you're line of thinking Hughes, Jamison and Arenas wouldnt work. You're basically saying any team with two big scorers is destined to fail. But that isnt true. Kobe and Odom are players that are looking for their own shot. But Marbury since he is a point guard is looking to make other players better and get other players involved. Odom doesnt do that. You probably dont get what I'm saying(cant really explain it to be honest) but believe me when I say that Kobe and Marbury will get along just fine. Think on it, maybe you'll get what I'm trying to say.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Anyways, as for actual trade possibilities, I like Marbury for Z and Marbury for Laker picks. Here's one that I thought up - Stephon Marbury and JYD for Sam Cassell, Wally Sczerbiak, and Trenton Hassell. This trade doesn't necessarily benefit one team more than another, but it seems both franchises are in need of some kind of change.</div>

That deal seems solid except for the whole salary thing. One reason why I want to trade Marbury for picks is to clear up salary and in your proposal the Knicks take up more. Plus we're left with a glutton of shooting guards and small forwards. And considering how unattractive the contracts are of some of our players we wont be able to move any of them. Although if we can pick up Big Z...I'd love to have Wally World.

They dont have to be first rounders. I'd take this year's and next year's first rounder along with this year's second rounder. Depends on the team if their willing to make that kind of deal and how many draft picks they have. Afterall wasnt K Mart dealt for three first rounders? And yes it would have to be a sign and trade if we trade Marbury for Big Z. I also think the Cavaliers will have to include someone else, I'm not sure who it should be though.

11. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

If NY really wanted to get rid of Steph badly, Magloire + PJ Brown would work. Only problem is the Hornets would have no frontline and they might just take Chris Paul in the draft to fill their need of a point guard. But New Orleans needs some kind of draw and Steph is one of the better players in the NBA. Actually bad trade because Byron Scott would probably run him out of town like he almost did with Jason Kidd and he did with Baron Davis.

12. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">If NY really wanted to get rid of Steph badly, Magloire + PJ Brown would work. Only problem is the Hornets would have no frontline and they might just take Chris Paul in the draft to fill their need of a point guard. But New Orleans needs some kind of draw and Steph is one of the better players in the NBA. Actually bad trade because Byron Scott would probably run him out of town like he almost did with Jason Kidd and he did with Baron Davis.</div>

Wow, I had a whole post written up about a possible Magloire + Brown for Marbury trade but scrapped it for the T'Wolves idea. [​IMG]

Anyway, the Hornets have time to see what the offseason brings them. If they get the #1 pick, then I think this deal becomes very attractive, as they can just draft Andrew Bogut. Even if they don't get the #1 pick, they still have a possibility to sign a guy like Stromile Swift (Louisianna native) before pulling any triggers.

13. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

Wow!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">If NY really wanted to get rid of Steph badly, Magloire + PJ Brown would work. Only problem is the Hornets would have no frontline and they might just take Chris Paul in the draft to fill their need of a point guard. But New Orleans needs some kind of draw and Steph is one of the better players in the NBA. Actually bad trade because Byron Scott would probably run him out of town like he almost did with Jason Kidd and he did with Baron Davis.</div>

You just managed to disprove your own post!! WOW!! That takes SKILL!! What was the point of posting it when you realized half-way through it was a bad idea?

14. Tribute to H2O

Now THAT is a trade I might do! That'll give the Knicks more size up front, we'll be able to move Sweetney over to the powerforward spot and add more depth at the big positions. We'll still be able to draft Splitter if want and leave him Europe for a couple more years, move Crawford over to the point guard position...and a whole bunch of other stuff. That's bloody brilliant!! Now why didnt I think of that??? What are the chances that a fool like Isiah will make this kind of deal?

15. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">Now THAT is a trade I might do! That'll give the Knicks more size up front, we'll be able to move Sweetney over to the powerforward spot and add more depth at the big positions. We'll still be able to draft Splitter if want and leave him Europe for a couple more years, move Crawford over to the point guard position...and a whole bunch of other stuff. That's bloody brilliant!! Now why didnt I think of that??? What are the chances that a fool like Isiah will make this kind of deal?

Crawford at the point? Boy, you never watched him much in Chicago when he ran the point did you. Having him run the point would be almost as big of a mistake as the one you made by signing him to such a huge freakin contract. He's not fit to run the point. He doesn't make teammates better and is far too turnover prone. Why do you think the Bulls drafted Hinrich and put him at the SG spot?

16. Tribute to H2O

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Moo2K4:</div><div class="quote_post">Crawford at the point? Boy, you never watched him much in Chicago when he ran the point did you. Having him run the point would be almost as big of a mistake as the one you made by signing him to such a huge freakin contract. He's not fit to run the point. He doesn't make teammates better and is far too turnover prone. Why do you think the Bulls drafted Hinrich and put him at the SG spot?</div>

I know Crawford isnt the ideal guy you want running the point. Believe me I know, I said the exact same thing you just said a few months ago when someone said he was a natural point guard. But he's a failure at the off guard position. I really dont know what else to do with him. It seems he'll be better suited running the point. He doesnt have to be Nash, Kidd or even Francis. With Magloire and Sweetney and TT up front all he'll have to do is bring the ball up and just throw the ball into the low post. He may even be able to post up other point guards. I think Crawford can handle that. Dont you?

17. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">I know Crawford isnt the ideal guy you want running the point. Believe me I know, I said the exact same thing you just said a few months ago when someone said he was a natural point guard. But he's a failure at the off guard position. I really dont know what else to do with him. It seems he'll be better suited running the point. He doesnt have to be Nash, Kidd or even Francis. With Magloire and Sweetney and TT up front all he'll have to do is bring the ball up and just throw the ball into the low post. He may even be able to post up other point guards. I think Crawford can handle that. Dont you?

You're right, Crawford isn't your prototypical off guard, but he's more suited there than he is the point. His endeavors at point were short lived for a reason, and that's because he couldn't handle it. Even if he does have a couple of bigs to throw it in to, he's still not ideal. He's bad at handling pressure and he's still selfish. He's a me first type player. If you think about it, they'd be in the same position they're already in with Marbury running the show. A selfish point guard that doesn't make teammates better. They don't need that. They need a player that will make their young talent, such as Sweetney, blossom and become better. Marbury isn't that guy and Crawford isn't that guy. He's stuf as your two guard though. However, he wouldn't be too bad if he didn't jack up so many treys. Couple that with the fact he's a tweener, a whopping 190 at 6'5", you don't have either a point guard or an off guard....you simply have....well....Jamal Crawford. And btw, have I ever mentioned that the Crawford trade was one of the smartest things Pax has ever done, and one of the dumbest things Thomas has done.

18. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Moo2K4:</div><div class="quote_post">You're right, Crawford isn't your prototypical off guard, but he's more suited there than he is the point. His endeavors at point were short lived for a reason, and that's because he couldn't handle it. Even if he does have a couple of bigs to throw it in to, he's still not ideal. He's bad at handling pressure and he's still selfish. He's a me first type player. If you think about it, they'd be in the same position they're already in with Marbury running the show. A selfish point guard that doesn't make teammates better. They don't need that. They need a player that will make their young talent, such as Sweetney, blossom and become better. Marbury isn't that guy and Crawford isn't that guy. He's stuf as your two guard though. However, he wouldn't be too bad if he didn't jack up so many treys. Couple that with the fact he's a tweener, a whopping 190 at 6'5", you don't have either a point guard or an off guard....you simply have....well....Jamal Crawford. And btw, have I ever mentioned that the Crawford trade was one of the smartest things Pax has ever done, and one of the dumbest things Thomas has done.</div>
    I don't think so. Crawford at the 2 gets killed by the bigger guards in the league he faces almost every night. I think some of his ill-advised shots are the only way he can get them off when playing the Finley's or Kobe's of the league. Also Crawford is a natural point guard (I was debating that with you Tribute). Wasn't the reason why Chicago drafted a PG was because of Jay Williams' accident? When Marbury is put on the bench for 10 minutes or so and Crawford plays the PG, the team seems to run much better. I also remember Crawford starting over Williams when he was in Chicago. I think Crawford might be more of a scoring PG, but he knows how to find people.
    That wasn't the dumbest thing Isiah's done. Crawford can turn out to be a good player. He's only 25 and has a lot of room to grow. This season was a good lesson for him.

19. Tribute to H2O

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Moo2K4:</div><div class="quote_post">You're right, Crawford isn't your prototypical off guard, but he's more suited there than he is the point. His endeavors at point were short lived for a reason, and that's because he couldn't handle it. Even if he does have a couple of bigs to throw it in to, he's still not ideal. He's bad at handling pressure and he's still selfish. He's a me first type player. If you think about it, they'd be in the same position they're already in with Marbury running the show. A selfish point guard that doesn't make teammates better. They don't need that. They need a player that will make their young talent, such as Sweetney, blossom and become better. Marbury isn't that guy and Crawford isn't that guy. He's stuf as your two guard though. However, he wouldn't be too bad if he didn't jack up so many treys. Couple that with the fact he's a tweener, a whopping 190 at 6'5", you don't have either a point guard or an off guard....you simply have....well....Jamal Crawford. And btw, have I ever mentioned that the Crawford trade was one of the smartest things Pax has ever done, and one of the dumbest things Thomas has done.</div>

It wasnt a dumb move on Isiah's part(trading Van Horn was the dumbest he's done for the Knicks). I liked it for the Bulls but I thought the move was quite solid for the Knicks. We needed insurance for Houston in case he wasnt healthy(and he wasnt). Crawford isnt really selfish. He just doesnt know when to pass and when to shoot. If we put him at the point maybe he wont be so confused as to what he should do. The truth is he isnt ideal at either position so if we trade Marbury we might as well just let him run the point since we wont have a point guard. Besides like mrj18 said he's enjoyed some success running the point for us. And it cant be any worse than seeing Sprewell and Houston bringing the ball up during the Glen Rice experiment(that burned my eyes). Another option if we trade Marbury is to just draft a point guard with Pheonix's or Houston's pick and leave Crawford at the two.

20. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">Crawford isnt really selfish. He just doesnt know when to pass and when to shoot. If we put him at the point maybe he wont be so confused as to what he should do.</div>

I'm confused....what's the difference between that and selfish? Delve into this, explain to me. Cause to me, not knowing when to shoot or pass means you're likely going to shoot mroe, which equals selfish. And if you don't know when to shoot or pass, how in gods name can you be a point guard? That doesn't make sense at all. Again I say, there was a reason why the Bulls drafted Kirk Hinrich in '03, and that's because they knew that Crawford couldn't handle running the point. If you're going to trade off Marbury, you might want to consider finding a point guard in the draft at some point, cause Crawford won't do too well for ya.