Stephen Curry

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Legacy, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Thoughts on the pick?

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Bye bye Monta?

3. Lost One

Lost One ...

Warriors are raw :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

4. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Love it. Like I said somewhere else, I watched him in person at the St. Mary's game. He showed great range and skills. His supporting cast was pretty weak. I think it tells Monta STFU and just play ball. (at least I hope it was meant that way.) Think about the TrailBlazers in '84, um do we need Jordan if we've already got Drexler? Looking back, its clear you take the best and worry about how it figures out later.

5. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

If the Warriors keep him, I like the pick. Ideal? No. But big time scorer, maybe the Warriors don't need more of that, but it's a nice problem to have too much of it. Still so many possibilities with trades and because of the BYC stuff we may need to wait a few weeks to find out.

6. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

Good pick for the Warriors. Are they going to put him at PG and shift Monta to SG now that Crawford is out the door? Any thoughts what they do with him? Regardless, he's a big time scorer and can step in and be a top 5 shooter in the NBA as a rookie, and I think he's going to fit in very well in Don Nelson's system.

7. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

I like the pick if we do keep him. I don't envision them playing together to start, but rather having Curry come in the second unit, and maybe having him play large minutes as a 6th man if he shows promise in that role. Combo guards always get stuck with that role, don't they?

I think the most ironically funny part is how sad Curry was to go to Golden State. Even Curry and his family know we're not doing great over here!

8. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

Good pick by the Warriors. Curry was one of my favorites in this draft.

Also, Chad Ford said the Amare to Warriors trade isn't happening, and was never close.

Makes sense. No way Amare was going to stay with the Warriors, and Warriors were rumored to be giving up WAY more than anyone else.

9. Clif10

Clif10 Member

I am hoping Curry can step in and be a point guard/make others around him better. But I like Curry. He is kind of like Marco, but maybe a less streaky shooter.

I am hoping Andris can develop some type of post game skills. It would be nice to see the Warriors get some inside-out game going when the fast paced game isn't working. Get Andris the ball inside where he makes some moves to score and later command the double team. Then when the double comes have him pass it out to the open Marco, Morrow, Azubuike or Curry outside for the easy three. You'd also have Randolph and Ellis slashing. That would be fun to watch.

In other words we need Biedrins to become skilled on offensive like Vlade Divac! I know he can handle the ball and make some passes. But yeah, that's my crazy hope right now.

I wanted Curry when I was watching the draft coverage. I don't know where he fits on the team right now. He doesn't really even help improve the team's needs: rebounding, defense, passing. But then again, MAYBE he can become some type of distributor that he wasn't really in college. But maybe you just take the BAP, and maybe that was Curry. I thought he was. I do like how he was pretty darn clutch in the NCAA Tournament. That actually is a pretty big need for this team.

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I've been totally wanting this type of game since... forever. A 20/10 defensive, passing big man is hard to find...

There was Shaq, Duncan, and although you need a dominant guard as well, the 4 or 5 man is important to anchor down the paint patrol and clean up the missed buckets or draw the defense inside so the guards get plenty of space to get their shot off.

11. Clif10

Clif10 Member

I like how Curry gets to the free throw line a bunch. That is good to see. I hope that translates into similar productivity in the NBA. He got to the line over 7 times each game.

I am not saying Biedrins has to average 20 points. 15 will do just fine, plus a few more assists per game from 2.0 this year to 5! haha big improvements. He's still young, yeah? Hey, he went from 1.0 assists in 07-08 to 2.0 assists 08-09. Maybe he can double it again! Feed him the ball.

12. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Not only that, he shot 88% from the free throw line in his college career. That's uh...not too shabby!

13. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I'm not thrilled with us picking Curry. I heard that he was beaten out by players picked below him. What kills me is Jordan Hill was there. I hope we got some deal lined up with the Knicks, so we swap picks and get some more cap relief or something like that. Knick fans wanted Curry.

14. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

If we are actually keeping this pick, I am not too thrilled with it. Curry reminds me of typical great college players, who doesn't have what it takes to excel in NBA like Dunleavy, Foyle, or Diogu. He is neither fast nor strong, and in the next level, he probably won't go anywhere with his dribbling. He has short arm, and people are already questioning his defense in NBA. But the biggest problem is that he does not meet our needs. We were looking for a guard who can play with Monta, and Curry/Monta backcourt can't exist defensively. For now, I don't expect him to start, and hopefully, he will have bigger impact than Watson in 09-10, who actually put slightly better shooting % last season in NBA than Curry in college...

15. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Nobody has to tell Monta anything. Monta didn't say he was disgruntled in GSW-land. That was just some smoke that another team made up before the draft. One of the rumors was that the top PG candidates did not want to come here to work out. Yet Curry and other players came to work out. The main reason Nelson and Riley went to Atlanta was to discuss trading Crawford. After this, I think the Warriors better keep Monta Ellis. He's a true Warrior.

16. Clif10

Clif10 Member

Dunleavy didn't have to produce for himself. He had a college all-star team around him. Foyle and Diogu are bigs, so I am not sure how to compare Curry to them. I suppose there is some chance that he will become the next JJ Redick or Adam Morrison. But I think Curry has shown to be much more well-rounded as a basketball player than those two. He certainly had more assists and steals than those two. The thing that might put Curry slightly above this group is his craftiness. He seems very good at reading what the defense giving him, and then he takes it. I think that is a good skill to have, especially for someone who may become the team's PG.

Outside shooting, steals, ball handling skills, able to distribute, movement without the ball, understanding of which play to make when, ability to get to the free throw line, I think he's got some good skills to work off (maybe this is what I said about Diogu too...haha). He is a couple inches short. That's kind of a bummer. I think he can be like a Marco Belinelli minus a couple inches for this team at the get-go.

17. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Bobby Knight called him the best passer he's ever seen. That's enough for me. Dude is a player.

18. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Bobby Knight also said Michael Jordan wouldn't make it in the NBA.

19. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

It could fall either way, but I do think Curry has a decent chance to succeed. I mean, maybe he'll succeed like Jason Terry, or he could fail like Trajan Langdon (the wonderful tale of two too-short shooting guards who could both score, but Terry succeeded because he had exceptional speed, where Langdon failed, or at least failed in the NBA, because he couldn't create his own shot as easily, although he was technically a better shooter.)

*Edit: Just realized how old of a reference that was, 10 years ago.

20. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

One thing I like about Curry is he seems to be a pure scorer, but one who is less reckless than many the Warriors have had. A shooter with strong fundamentals and good shot selection, that is really important for the Warriors. I've had enough of this street ball crap, yes it can be exciting, but also so frustrating. Curry is more consistent with his shooting than many former Warriors. Monta and Andris are pretty reliable, but we had guys like JRich, Craw, Harrington, Jackson, Maggette, and yes, Baron who could shoot lights out and and just kill any team on any given night, but...you couldn't count on it because the next night they would be putting up those ugly 5-17 lines and just shoot you right out of a game. That's happened a lot over the last few years. That makes it really hard to formulate an offensive plan and for the team to get on a roll (winning streaks). That's how you pile up losses to teams like Memphis, Minnesota, LA Clippers, Miami, Indiana, Washington, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Sacramento, etc.. So while I fully realize we're still woefully deficient in defense, I'm hoping Curry brings some more consistency to our scoring.