Stephon Marbury Traded To Knicks

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Nylex, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

The Knicks gave up a lot.

I feel like many of you are not thinking about this too clearly.

Yes, as of right now, New York got the higher end of the deal in terms of talent. But look what they had to give up. Lampe- Was projected as high as 5 to Miami in the draft, before contract questions took place.

Viljunac was a highly touted European PG, much like Parker and Lopez were.

Plus, 2 1st rounders. This years, which should be in the middle of the road, of a potential filled draft class. And a future pick.

NY sacraficed a lot....in the future.

But it doesn't matter. The Knicks are run differently than most teams. While NY would love to win championships, they wont do it through rebuilding. They'd much rather see continue mediocre teams(netting them millions of dollars)than disgruntle fans with a rebuilding phase.

2. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Thank you Vintage, could not have put it any better.

3. K1NGJAMES23

K1NGJAMES23 JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Vintage:</div><div class="quote_post">The Knicks gave up a lot.

Yes, as of right now, New York got the higher end of the deal in terms of talent. But look what they had to give up. Lampe- Was projected as high as 5 to Miami in the draft, before contract questions took place.

Plus, 2 1st rounders. This years, which should be in the middle of the road, of a potential filled draft class. And a future pick.

But it doesn't matter. The Knicks are run differently than most teams. While NY would love to win championships, they wont do it through rebuilding. They'd much rather see continue mediocre teams(netting them millions of dollars)than disgruntle fans with a rebuilding phase.</div>

We all know who was traded the way "king james" said what he said made it sound like there was more to the deal then there was. I think that if the Knicks waited until the offseason and signed Kobe they would be much better. Kobe would change the way basketball is played in the east

4. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting K1NGJAMES23:</div><div class="quote_post">We all know who was traded the way "king james" said what he said made it sound like there was more to the deal then there was. I think that if the Knicks waited until the offseason and signed Kobe they would be much better. Kobe would change the way basketball is played in the east</div>

No, there was just more to the deal that you were not seeing.

The Knicks were in no position to make an offer to Kobe, their cap situation was terrible, and it is still not pretty after this deal.

Not gonna happen.

5. ~Fatality~

~Fatality~ JBB JustBBall Member

Kobe to the Knicks? No. They would have no cap room anyway, unless they are going to get him for the MLE. *sarcastic*

6. K1NGJAMES23

K1NGJAMES23 JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">No, there was just more to the deal that you were not seeing.

The Knicks were in no position to make an offer to Kobe, their cap situation was terrible, and it is still not pretty after this deal.

Not gonna happen.</div>

But you dont think that Kobe would have brought more money,attention and interest in the Knicks. Marbury no doubt will bring the honor and tradition back to the knicks but Kobe is the super star they need.

7. ~Fatality~

~Fatality~ JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting K1NGJAMES23:</div><div class="quote_post">But you dont think that Kobe would have brought more money,attention and interest in the Knicks. Marbury no doubt will bring the honor and tradition back to the knicks but Kobe is the super star they need.</div>

You don't understand that it would be virtually impossible to get him.

8. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting K1NGJAMES23:</div><div class="quote_post">But you dont think that Kobe would have brought more money,attention and interest in the Knicks. Marbury no doubt will bring the honor and tradition back to the knicks but Kobe is the super star they need.</div>

And how the hell would NY sign Kobe?

Do you know there is sucha a thing as a team salary cap?
    Do you know that NY is well over that?
    Do you know that teams over the team cap can only use the MLE, LLE, and minimum contracts?
    Do you know the MLE is at $4.9 million a season?
    Do you know that Kobe, because of his experience, can ask for a contract similar to Tim Duncan's?
    Do you know the difference between $4.9 million and a $122 million/7 year contract?

Now, please explain to me, how would NY sign Kobe Bryant?

9. Kid Canada

Kid Canada JBB Banned Member

The Knicks are turning into the Rangers. But Dam Thomas is so much better than Layden.

10. Ravenous

Ravenous JBB JustBBall Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] .....goood Trade Zeke

11. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">I will be shocked if Knicks don't make the playoffs</div>

I wouldn't be shocked if they don't make it, but this trade will definetley put them in some contention. Nice pull by Isiah, I expected him to bring a big player in, but I had no idea it would be Marbury, never would have came up with that name. And for some reason, I feel like Isiah isn't done yet. I think he will bring in another big player, and hopefully the Knicks return to the playoffs, I loved those days.

12. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

Thats incredible, Marbury did so well against the Raptors a night before. Do you think the Suns see sometihng serious in NBA Draft 2k4??? I'm still shocked.

Zeke has been such a busy GM, why is he doing all of this? To make history or something? It's working.

13. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

What could be better than bringing Stephon Marbury back to his home town of NYC??? Nothing.

Zeke is making this his team officially by this trade and it looks like a hell of a deal. He is giving up talent in the future but he is making up for it by getting a top 5 point guard in Marbury.

New Yorks lineup looks like this now?

C- Mutombo
    PF- Kurt Thomas
    SF- Van Horn
    SG- Houston
    PG- Marbury

Their bench is kind of weak on size but that lineup looks really tight, a good mix of shooting and grittiness and this looks like a potential playoff team

Good trade Zeke

14. Ravenous

Knicks a better team wit Stephon???

What do u guys think??? Does Stephon bring what the Knicks need....With McDyess gone do u think Zeke has decided to keep Kurt Thomas...What abot Frank WIlliams....Should the knicks make another move....If so what should it be....Anderson or HArrington...What do u guys think is gonna happen??

15. OgShowtime

OgShowtime JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Knicks gave up a lot.

But it doesn't matter. The Knicks are run differently than most teams. While NY would love to win championships, they wont do it through rebuilding. They'd much rather see continue mediocre teams(netting them millions of dollars)than disgruntle fans with a rebuilding phase.</div>

They absolutely gave up a lot. But, for the Knicks the future is now, not in 4 or 5 years when their prospects may or may not pan out. I look at like this: McDyess, Ward and Eisley - all gone after this year anyway. The Knicks would have given these guys away if they could. The deal essentially breaks down to Lampe, Viljunac and two 1st rounders. In exchange for Stephon Marbury - that's not a bad deal at all. Viljunac isn't guaranteed to even play in the US and Lampe is a prospect right now, nothing more.

As far as the draft picks go, this year will be a mid 1st rounder, assuming the Knicks make the playoffs. If not, it may be a lottery selection. But, with this year's weak class coming out, it doesn't hold a ton of value. This day in age, you could pick up a guy in the late first-early second round who will contribute just as much as a lottery pick. Look at Josh Howard in Dallas - #29?, or Mo Williams in Utah - #47 overall. The picks are essentially useless, besides, the Knicks have absolutely nothing to show for all of their recent high picks. Doleac? That's about it. Lampe hasn't even seen any time on the court. How about Frederic Weis? Isiah also has the NBDL and ABA at his disposal for acquiring young talent, so I wouldn't worry about the picks. This deal may turn out to be great for Phoenix in the future, but for New York right now - it's life and death. To me this deal was a no-brainer.

16. BlueDevilsACC

BlueDevilsACC JBB JustBBall Member

Marbury will also bring more people to MSG to watch the Knicks

17. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

They are better this year, but you have to wonder about the Knicks' future.

Marbury will be good for some time, but Penny probably only has one or two productive years left. His salary doesn't bother me too much because the Knicks wouldn't be able to get under the cap untill his deal expired anyhow. I just don't think he'll be productive for long. He is a great 3rd guard to backup Marbury and Houston for now though. Those 3 guys give NY the East's most potent backcourt. Defensively however, those 3 are a bit of a nightmare however.

Giving up Lampe, Vujanic AND two first rounders was a silly move. They gave up all of thier young talent as well as thier ability to aquire it without getting any in return. When the Knicks are finally under the salary cap they will have no recent first round draft picks, no key free agent signings and a collection of aging veterans.

This means Isiah HAS to make another deal or 3. Kurt Thomas needs to go. This would allow Michael Sweetney to develop. His development will be Key to the Knicks future. As Houston ages, Steph will be playing 1 on 5 most nights. If Zeke doesn't manage to deal at least 2 of Othella Harrington, Shandon Anderson or Alan Houston and move Kurt Thomas for a young talent. The knicks may have screwed themselves for the future.

Think about it. With no first round draft picks and no cap room, how could they possibly surround Marbury, Sweetney and co with talent?

18. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

Just imagine the headlines...

"Coney Island's Finest...back in NY"

If only he can keep Van Horn happy...

19. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Anytime you add one of the best point guards in the NBA to your team you are bound to improve.The key word here is "Chemistry" if they play togeather then Isiah will look like a basketball god in the eyes of Knicks fans.Knicks competing again is what we all want to see.The playoffs just aren't the same without seeing the crowd go wild at MSG.Isiah is a winner...He refuses to wait around for the Knicks to finally do something and he clearly didn't want to wait for players like Lampe,Vujanic and the future draft picks they were going to get to grow and produce.He wanted to get an impact player in straight away...It is debatable but Marbury is a top 12-15 player in this league.Who knows if any future picks or Lampe and Vujanic will turn out to be anything speical or even at the level that Stephon Marbury is at now.

Thomas was willing to take that risk.

20. Ravenous

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rocko220:</div><div class="quote_post">They are better this year, but you have to wonder about the Knicks' future.

Marbury will be good for some time, but Penny probably only has one or two productive years left. His salary doesn't bother me too much because the Knicks wouldn't be able to get under the cap untill his deal expired anyhow. I just don't think he'll be productive for long. He is a great 3rd guard to backup Marbury and Houston for now though. Those 3 guys give NY the East's most potent backcourt. Defensively however, those 3 are a bit of a nightmare however.

Giving up Lampe, Vujanic AND two first rounders was a silly move. They gave up all of thier young talent as well as thier ability to aquire it without getting any in return. When the Knicks are finally under the salary cap they will have no recent first round draft picks, no key free agent signings and a collection of aging veterans.

This means Isiah HAS to make another deal or 3. Kurt Thomas needs to go. This would allow Michael Sweetney to develop. His development will be Key to the Knicks future. As Houston ages, Steph will be playing 1 on 5 most nights. If Zeke doesn't manage to deal at least 2 of Othella Harrington, Shandon Anderson or Alan Houston and move Kurt Thomas for a young talent. The knicks may have screwed themselves for the future.

Think about it. With no first round draft picks and no cap room, how could they possibly surround Marbury, Sweetney and co with talent?</div>

I didnt know that the knicks gave up 2 first round draft picks...maybe they will trade anderson and thomas for sum picks...i think they should keep thomas