Stephon Marbury Traded To Knicks

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Nylex, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Ravenous:</div><div class="quote_post">I didnt know that the knicks gave up 2 first round draft picks...maybe they will trade anderson and thomas for sum picks...i think they should keep thomas</div>
    No one wants Anderson.

2. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

I agree i think that K.Thomas should go, he's not bad but Mike Sweetney is there future they need him to develop..If Zeke pulls off a deal and trades K.Thomas and Mike Sweetney starts at the opening spot i think he will contest All-Rookie 1st team. Good deal Zeke.Hey does anyone know if Starbury keeps his #?

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    The Knicks will look to win the Atlantic now. Boy am I a big fan of Zeke! First Moochie, then Starbury? What will be next, Frank Williams to go?

4. Chief Osceola

Chief Osceola Member

A few comments on this trade:

-It is not one sided, like many of you seem to think. This is, in my opinion, a great trade for both teams.

-New York gains a lot in the short run, with a star PG headed there, and they are well within reach of making a playoff run with plenty of games left to play. While Penny Hardaway's contract is terrible, he'll be a decent backup guard for the rest of the season in NY.

-Phoenix gains a lot in the long run. While they give up Marbury, they were going nowhere this season. Positives for the Suns: Get rid of Hardaway's horrible contract. Get 2 expiring contracts(McDyess and Ward) which, combined with Gugliotta's contract makes a lot of cap room for the Suns this offseason, which enables them, not the Knicks, to make a run at Kobe. Another positive is getting Maciej Lampe, an extremely talented big man with sky high potential. This trade also helps the Suns develop Barbosa at the point this season, and let him learn on the job.

-As terrible as I felt Isiah Thomas was as a coach in Indiana, he has been that good in the front office for New York. I think he has found his niche.

5. kobe35plus

kobe35plus JBB JustBBall Member

I am a knicks fan and i am estatic about us landing Stephon Marbury but we still have to wonder about the salary cap i can deal with Stephon's contract but bringing Penny in is also bringing in a veteran that will be makin about 45 mil in the next 3 years. Maybe we can get Tyson Chandler or Eddy Curry and the Bulls can pick Pavel(7'5") or Tiago(7'2") Chandler or Curry would be a perfect fit because they're rising young stars with relatively cheap salaries(around 3,4 mil)
    Or we can go for Zydrunas Ilgauskas and D-Miles who have been "eliminated" from the Cavs gameplan

6. jbbTD21

jbbTD21 JBB JustBBall Member

Don?t you think 2004 and 2005 draft picks are too much? And Lampe and Vujanic too, it?s the future for the present.

7. Chief Osceola

Chief Osceola Member

[​IMG]

<font color="Red">Boy, that's an educated post - KJ</font>

8. jbbTD21

jbbTD21 JBB JustBBall Member

Don?t you think 2004 and 2005 draft picks are too much? And Lampe and Vujanic too, it?s the future for the present. And McDyess?contract finishes this year, like Ward, 20 million less to fight in summer for free agents. Both teams get good things

9. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobe35plus:</div><div class="quote_post">Maybe we can get Tyson Chandler or Eddy Curry and the Bulls can pick Pavel(7'5") or Tiago(7'2") Chandler or Curry would be a perfect fit because they're rising young stars with relatively cheap salaries(around 3,4 mil)
    Or we can go for Zydrunas Ilgauskas and D-Miles who have been "eliminated" from the Cavs gameplan</div>

Making a trade with the young bulls who see the Curry/Chandler tandem as their future will not work, at least for the next two seasons. However, the Z trade might happen. Maybe the Knicks can trade Kurt Thomas, Shandon Anderson, Othella Harrington and Frank Williams for Darius and Z?

10. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting L.Sooch:</div><div class="quote_post">and Mike Sweetney starts at the opening spot i think he will contest All-Rookie 1st team.</div>

No.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">Maybe the Knicks can trade Kurt Thomas, Shandon Anderson, Othella Harrington and Frank Williams for Darius and Z?</div>

And hell no.

11. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">
    And hell no.</div>

I mean why not, the Cavs obviously have given up on Darius and getting Kurt Thomas and Frank Williams is not really a killer.

12. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">I mean why not, the Cavs obviously have given up on Darius and getting Kurt Thomas and Frank Williams is not really a killer.</div>

We have not gave up on him, sometimes you have to bench a guy to make him get his stuff straight. We don't need a PF, we have Carlos "double double" Boozer. That deal would not help the Cavs at all.

13. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">We have not gave up on him, sometimes you have to bench a guy to make him get his stuff straight. We don't need a PF, we have Carlos "double double" Boozer. That deal would not help the Cavs at all.</div>

I don't think DMiles has improved since being benched. And I was thinking that Thomas would keep playing centre for the rest of the year and then then you guys can not re-sign him and give Diop major minutes.

14. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

This deal changes both teams a lot. Suns have officially given up this season. While Knicks are looking to win. In about 3 years, Suns will be much better than the Knicks. Marion/Amare/Lampe/the pg guy/potential high draft picks. They have a great future ahead of them. Plus they can max out a major free agent next year. Knicks made a huge mistake getting Penny. Even though he fits in well, huge contract guys way past their prime. Both teams made a good deal. Now maybe the Suns could get Okafor or Howard. They'd be awesome then.

15. OgShowtime

OgShowtime JBB JustBBall Member

I really don't see the picks being that big of a deal. If they make the playoffs, the picks will be mid first-rounders. As long as they didn't make a deal like the one that Memphis made with Detroit a couple of years back in the Otis Thorpe deal, they should be okay. Isiah will probably be able to get a first rounder somewhere if he really tries. Even if they don't end up with a first rounder this season, they still acquired a franchise player. Remember also that Stephon is already a ten-year vet who won't even turn 27 until February! He has many productive seasons left, and if you can acquire a likely future hall-of-famer in his prime - you do it, every day of the week.

16. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

i dont think we gave alot at all look at the facts
    dice-last year of his contract would not have been re ssigned by knicks. cross him out
    ward-was gonna ge waived by the 10th anyway.cross him out
    eiesly-i would have givin him away. cross him out
    vijunic-would never play a game for NY anyway. cross him out
    picks-a concern for me because picks can come back to haunt.
    lampe-raw talent might develop into a star.....might

so basicly its lampe and 2 picks for marburry not alot at all

17. OgShowtime

OgShowtime JBB JustBBall Member

Exactly, that's what I said in an earlier post: the Knicks would have given away all three of those players anyway. I'll take the chance giving up the draft picks and Lampje/Viljunac any day for a guy like Marbury.

18. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

Both teams got what they needed, but for New York that was a whole lot more than for Phoenix. Phoenix, with Amare, Zarko, and Leandro, are building towards the future. Stephon wasn't gonna be in his prime when all those guys hit theirs. Dealing him now and getting those first round picks was better than dealing him later and getting less.

For the Knicks, they really didn't give up much at all. We've seen them deal guys like Nene and countless draft picks in order to shore up for the present. The Knicks are supposed to be New York's varsity squad, and they plan to win now. So what they gave up didn't hurt them.

Getting Stephon is big. McDyess SUCKED. I can't put it any other way. And he was the biggest piece that they gave up. Isiah didn't like Eisley or Ward anyway, or Lampe for that matter, so those weren't big losses. So basically he gave up several undesirables for his perfect idea of a point, one that scores big and can pass big.

If this trade doesn't push the Knicks back into the playoff picture, I'm not sure what will. There are only a couple points(Baron, JKidd) in the East who can match up with Stephon. Almost everyone else will be made into mincemeat by his playing style. It happened in New Jersey before Stephon learned how to win. I think this is a highly different situation than the one which he left with the Nets.

Looking closely, it seems that Isiah is doing just what he did with the Pacers and Raps - try to style them after the Bad Boy Pistons. For that reason, I don't think Kurt Thomas will go anywhere soon, unless something impossible to turn down comes up, which I doubt. Marbury and Houston in the backcourt is huge, and Houston is by far the best shooting guard that Stephon has ever played with. That tandem can knock most teams apart, and when Van Horn and Houston's shots aren't falling, Stephon can penetrate as only he can do so well.

I think Van Horn, a la New Jersey, will get isolated from the flow of the game at times, but that with the presence of Houston, it won't matter so much(to the Knicks). It might anger Keith, but if he really wants to win he'll accept the diminished role quietly and perform it to his utmost.

Overall, this sets the Suns out of the playoff picture not just this year but for several years, and puts the Knicks in the thick of the playoff hunt.

19. Chump

Chump JBB JustBBall Member

I like the trade. And its cool that Stephon going back to his home town.

But the real deal here is Penny Hardaway. Unfortunately for Penny he still has to play with Steph. The guy is still a ball hog. Hopefully Penny see this a fresh start and Isaih give Penny some backup in the organization. Cause the one thing about Penny he makes everyone else better. Not Stephon.

I think Penny should be the point. And let a real pg run the offense. Unlike Steph who is really a 2.

Penny
    Steph
    Houston
    Thomas
    Deke

Van Horn meh. I hear he's playing well. But he's going to dissapear shortly. Always does. I would either trade Houston or Van Horn by the end of the year for sure. These 2 softies on one team is to much.

20. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Unfortunately they did give up two first rounders. Including thier 1st rounder for the 2004 NBA draft so it is unconditional. So if the Knicks can't turn things around right away and make the playoffs they are short a lottery pick.

With the current roster the best NY can hope for is making the playoffs as a middle seed the next 3 years or so. That means they will rarely have home court advantage and be seeing plenty of 1st and 2nd round playoff exits.

They certainly do not have the ability to contend for an NBA title and with little to no young talent and a lack of first round draft picks or cap room over the next several years, how are they supposed to get any better?

They've basically turned themselves into a middle of the road sort of team that wins 40-50 games every season but never really gets anywhere because they don't have cap room and can't enough add impact talent drafting in the middle of the 1st round (or 2nd round for in the Knicks case) to break out and contend. See the Atlanta Hawks from the late 80's and early to mid ninties for a similar example. And the Hawks haven't recovered yet.

I realize I'm in the minority hear, but as much as I love Stephon Marbury (and agree that he is a top 15 player in the L), I think the Knicks have hurt thier ability to contend for a title in the forseeable future.

This of course, is as the roster stands now. Who knows what else Isiah has up his sleeve?