Stephon Marbury Traded To Knicks

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Nylex, Jan 5, 2004.

1. magicfrankie

magicfrankie JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Vintage:</div><div class="quote_post">And how the hell would NY sign Kobe?

Do you know there is sucha a thing as a team salary cap?
    Do you know that NY is well over that?
    Do you know that teams over the team cap can only use the MLE, LLE, and minimum contracts?
    Do you know the MLE is at $4.9 million a season?
    Do you know that Kobe, because of his experience, can ask for a contract similar to Tim Duncan's?
    Do you know the difference between $4.9 million and a $122 million/7 year contract?

Now, please explain to me, how would NY sign Kobe Bryant?</div>

[​IMG]

.... and kingjames23 disappeared...

2. Waneko

Waneko JBB JustBBall Member

Marbury

Okay, now that I have the details, let me say this:

The Knicks made a good trade. Why?

While I am an advocate of clean house to get under the cap, Isiah made the best point himself. When you take two or three years to get under the cap, you gotta compete for a player like Steph, and the player's old team can offer him more money, so you might not get him then. This way, they get him NOW.

As for taking on Penny's deal, the Knicks are capped out for those three years ANYWAY.

As for the unproven Euro's, well they are just that, unproven. You can only hope one of those guys becomes serviceable.

As for the picks, the second one is protected through #15. If the Knicks do well enough, who needs a pick lower than that? The goal is to get better isn't it? Can anyone tell me who the Knicks can get with this year's pick that's better than Marbury? I thought not.

Antonio McDyess, like I predicted, is a shell of his former self. Leapers don't leap that well once they get his age even without knee injuries.

By the way, the Knicks can't get rid of Kurt Thomas. He is still their most productive big man.

3. Emo

Emo Active Member

Huge move for Isiah Thomas as the Knicks president. To me, this is his signature move. Now the fans will once again come back to the Garden and watch their hometown boy Marbury do business. And now, the Knicks can make a run to the playoffs in the average Eastern Conference. There is still hope.

4. BigMemo

BigMemo JBB JustBBall Member

Now that I understand this trade better, the Suns may get a lot out of it. The Knicks should have tried to hold onto those draft picks. Actually, they probably did try, but to get a lot, you've got to give up a lot. The way the Knicks have played so far, those picks could be very high. I still like the trade from the Knicks perspective, but I keep in mind that the team's future was jeapordized by giving up those prospects and picks. It's one of those wait-and-see deals.

5. kobe35plus

kobe35plus JBB JustBBall Member

I am a knicks fan and i'm really happy but i thought it was unfortunate because i thought Lampe was going to be good and i thought our pick could've turned into hakim warrick

6. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobe35plus:</div><div class="quote_post">I am a knicks fan and i'm really happy but i thought it was unfortunate because i thought Lampe was going to be good and i thought our pick could've turned into hakim warrick</div>

so your saying you wouldent trade lampe and warrick for marbury if your intentions as a gm was to win now?