stern addresses magics future

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by knicks235, Apr 28, 2003.

1. knicks235

knicks235 JBB JustBBall Member

John Denton of the Florida Today and Ken Hornack of the Daytona News-Journal report: Before Sunday?s Game 4 between the Detroit Pistons and Orlando Magic, NBA Commissioner David Stern addressed the media about the future of the Magic in Orlando.

The big issue is Orlando?s lack of a new arena. Eventually, the Magic will need a new one with mid-level luxury suites and other revenue-making concessions.

Quote from Ken Hornack?s article in the Daytona News-Journal:
    "Everyone understands that over time, the arena situation will have to be addressed," Stern said before the game. "But in the intermediate term, this arena is fine."

Quote from John Denton?s article in the Florida Today:

"There are arena issues in other cities as well, but over time the issue here will certainly have to be revisited," Stern said. "At this time, given the circumstances with the economy, the arena is fine for the time being.

"But in the long term, no question the issue will come up. You need only to look at the new arenas being built around the league. It's a long-term issue, no doubt."

The good news is that Stern said owner Rich DeVos and his family have no plans to sell the team and want to make it work in Orlando.

"The city of Orlando is lucky to have the DeVoses, and the DeVoses are lucky to have the city of Orlando," Stern said. "And I think it's good to see the town sort of rallying around the team with a couple of wins and packing the arena."

Before Games 3 and 4, Orlando had only sold out six out of 41 games this season.

2. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

stern picked a great game to go to though, i was at that game, and the place was crazy. i turned deaf at the game, lol.