Steve Francis Offically a Knick

Discussion in 'New York Knicks' started by Mr. J, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">On topic. New York got the talent for far cheaper than i expected the Magic to let it go for. However this team is even more doomed now. How many underacheivers is to many? Is it a good idea to have so many players on a team that need the ball to be effective? How will a Marbury Francis back court work? How the hell are the Knicks gunna play defense with a lineup of Marbury Francis QRich Frye and Curry?</div>
    Well, as I said before, it can't get any worse. We've already hit rock bottom. This is a risk worth taking. And where do you get the idea Francis is a bad defender? He's actually pretty good.

2. norespect

norespect JBB gotta nuke something...

Another horrible contract for a PG that is selfish and won't make his team better...my god what is Isiah thinking???? They are gonna be in salary cap hell for a long, long, long, long, long, long time.

long, long, long, long, long, long, long, LOOOOOOOOOOOONG TIME!!

P.s...........long Time!

Please don't triple post.

3. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting norespect:</div><div class="quote_post">P.s...........long Time!</div>

we know...don't rub it in.

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting norespect:</div><div class="quote_post">Another horrible contract for a PG that is selfish and won't make his team better...my god what is Isiah thinking???? They are gonna be in salary cap hell for a long, long, long, long, long, long time.

long, long, long, long, long, long, long, LOOOOOOOOOOOONG TIME!!

P.s...........long Time!</div>
    The Knicks weren't getting salary space with Marbury on their cap, anyway. If you didn't know, Francis and Marbury's contract expire the same year. That means salary wouldn't have made a difference.

5. postpoint

postpoint JBB JustBBall Member

Weighing in.

I respect the New York fans that are painting a good face on this, but Isiah is going to get fired. Scott Layden come back!
    Also, Jamal Crawford is going to be out of there by tomorrow, if this trade is any indication. Jamal Crawford is just a shooting guard version of Marbury (notice no one's calling him Starbury anymore?) and Francis. Does anyone know if they still have their pick for next year? They'd better keep it, because this team is going to be bad for a long team unless a miracle happens.
    The only reason that Larry Brown could possibly have wanted Francis is so he can sabotage the team and walk out again. I actually like Marbury, but Francis is a whiner, and he's going to whine even more on this team.
    On the other hand, there may be a bigger deal in the works. I can't see how David Stern approved this trade, he's a Knicks fan, after all. It's the biggest city market in the world and he's letting Isiah destroy it? What's going on?
    Also, Hardaway came off the cap. He was an asset. Ariza will be good someday, he's very athletic and can defend. Francis turns the ball over, and over dribbles like crazy. He's also not that good a passer.

On the flip side: watch out for Orlando in two or three years...they're gonna surprise people.

6. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Postpoint, Isiah pulled the trigger on the deal because Larry Brown wanted him to. I see what you're saying, but the reason why this deal isn't too bad is because I don't think the Knicks cannot get any worse. We didn't give up too much for him, either. It'll be interesting, though. I don't know what will happen; we'll just have to wait and see.

7. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Chutney:</div><div class="quote_post">Like every trade Isiah is done, it has the glimmer of potential. But I'm sure that we'll be looking at this a year from now and shaking our heads.

I like this trade for the Magic: addition by subtraction, a nice young player and cap space. If only they could have convinced Isiah to throw an unprotected pick into it.

^And that analysis of the VC trade and Babcock is sooo biased. Don't argue about it on this thread though.</div>

i biased analysis of the VC trade and Babock? All i did is say what we got out of it. Fact. Very little biased text on that issue on my thread. I'd love to get a pm about it from you and we can discuss it there, especially if you are one of the many that think we could of gotten more than what we did for a max contract player with a long history of injuries, that was putting up crappy numbers, wasnt playing ANY defence, was by his own admission "mailing it in", wasnt playing 4th quarters and WAS CONTINUELY advertising to the media that he wanted out AND on top of that he was being very specific about the teams he'd be willing to go to (New York and Florida + NO west coast teams)

I look foward to hearing from you.

On topic...good trade for the Knicks in that they got a talented player for virtually nothing. Sure they get no cap space but they'd need alot more than 1 or 2 expiring contracts for that to happen..they'd need to rebuild and they clearly arent willing to do that. I like the idea of letting the Magic rebuild HOWEVER an expiring contract and an average young player is awfully cheap.

8. postpoint

postpoint JBB JustBBall Member

Why?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MrJ:</div><div class="quote_post">Postpoint, Isiah pulled the trigger on the deal because Larry Brown wanted him to. I see what you're saying, but the reason why this deal isn't too bad is because I don't think the Knicks cannot get any worse. We didn't give up too much for him, either. It'll be interesting, though. I don't know what will happen; we'll just have to wait and see.</div>

I've heard that Larry Brown wanted this trade, but I can't really see why. Is he trying to make the team so bad, that when it gets better he can take credit it for it? I think it's going to be a fascinating soap opera, but as a basketball team, it's gonna be scary. But I understand the idea that we've got no idea what the Knicks have planned. I just hope the've got something planned.

9. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">On topic...good trade for the Knicks in that they got a talented player for virtually nothing. Sure they get no cap space but they'd need alot more than 1 or 2 expiring contracts for that to happen..they'd need to rebuild and they clearly arent willing to do that. I like the idea of letting the Magic rebuild HOWEVER an expiring contract and an average young player is awfully cheap.</div>

Bingo! This trade makes sense for both these teams in that regard. The Knicks don't have the draft picks or cap space to rebuild in the conventional manner. Their franchise player, Marbury, isn't very young anyone. Stockpiling talent for some their expiring contracts and hoping the talent can work together is the plausible direction for them to take.

In contrast, what Orlando did was ideal for their situation because their franchise player, Dwight Howard, is very young, and now they can build around him properly.

10. Chuck

Chuck JBB JustBBall Member

I can't wait to hear Larry Brown try and explain how he is going to distribute the ball between Crawford, Francis, and Marbury. Something along the lines of "I'm pushing David Stern to introduce three basketballs at a time into the game."

11. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting postpoint:</div><div class="quote_post">I've heard that Larry Brown wanted this trade, but I can't really see why. Is he trying to make the team so bad, that when it gets better he can take credit it for it? I think it's going to be a fascinating soap opera, but as a basketball team, it's gonna be scary. But I understand the idea that we've got no idea what the Knicks have planned. I just hope the've got something planned.</div>
    He brought up how they'll make each other better and brought up how Frazier, Monroe, and Barnett, were effective than he brought up Dumars, Isiah, and Johnson. I think this is just part one of what's going to happen. We'll be able to grasp the situation a little bit better tommorow when/if/hopefully the Knicks make another deal.

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Chuck:</div><div class="quote_post">I can't wait to hear Larry Brown try and explain how he is going to distribute the ball between Crawford, Francis, and Marbury. Something along the lines of "I'm pushing David Stern to introduce three basketballs at a time into the game."</div>
    [​IMG] That might work, as long as Stern is led to believe it would generate more money on a global scale.

I'm pretty sure Crawford will be traded next. Just be glad Orlando refused to take him.

I just think the Francis/Marbury/LB mix is crazy enough to work. Larry Brown loves playing that underdog role and proving his doubters wrong.

13. Tribute to H2O

Tribute to H2O JBB JustBBall Rookie Of The Month

Oh well. Salary cap relief is overrated anyway...I have a serious question. When Marbury and Francis kill each other do their contracts come off the books? Isiah Thomas has officially lost his mind. He has absolutely no regard for the salary cap. Instead of trying to get to salary cap relief slowly and surely he has decided to take on even more salary in a vain attempt to get better now. On the brightside the Knicks cant get any worse so Francis will likely improve the team at least in the short term and Isiah didnt throw in an unprotected pick.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Tribute to H2O:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh well. Salary cap relief is overrated anyway...I have a serious question. When Marbury and Francis kill each other do their contracts come off the books? Isiah Thomas has officially lost his mind. He has absolutely no regard for the salary cap. Instead of trying to get to salary cap relief slowly and surely he has decided to take on even more salary in a vain attempt to get better now. On the brightside the Knicks cant get any worse so Francis will likely improve the team at least in the short term and Isiah didnt throw in an unprotected pick.

Anyway I think Isiah Thomas should be fired.</div>
    Don't blame Isiah for the trade, blame Larry.

But as you said, we can't get worse, we won't have any cap space until Marbury's contract expires and that's the same year as Francis. Gotta love the trade only by trading Ariza and Penny.

15. Chuck

Chuck JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG] That might work, as long as Stern is led to believe it would generate more money on a global scale.
    </div>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] *thumbs up*

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">:
    I'm pretty sure Crawford will be traded next. Just be glad Orlando refused to take him.

</div>I was thrilled about the Penny trade. It's exactly what I wanted. Otis Smith has redeemed himself after that Vasquez charade.

16. NYCfinest123

NYCfinest123 JBB JustBBall Member

we get to keep jamal for an offensive boost behind steve... nice trade for us

17. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Minor News: Francis goes from #8 to #1.

18. giftedvisionz

giftedvisionz JBB JustBBall Member

The Magic probably could have gotten more for Francis, but regardless, it was good for the rebuilding process. Howard is a stud, and they have some other great young talents on that roster.

The Knicks are hopeless. Even if Francis miraculously meshes well with Marbury, it'll only lead to a few more wins. The cap hell just got worse, and the young guys will have less of a chance to gain experience and improve. I think getting rid of Ariza was a mistake as well. He's obviously getting less minutes because LB is the coach, but that doesn't mean he hasn't or won't improve. I hope Isiah pulls the trigger on something big in the next few hours, or else the season is over. The only way for them to get better is to get lucky in the draft. Too bad LB is the coach, otherwise I would see them trying to bomb the rest of the season to try and get the best chance for the 1st pick.

19. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting NYCfinest123:</div><div class="quote_post">we get to keep jamal for an offensive boost behind steve... nice trade for us</div>
    I think Crawford is on his way out of New York before the trade deadline in a deal to Denver most likely. There is no way that in one game of basketball you can find enough minutes for Francis, Marbury, Crawford, Rose, and Richardson on one team. You to trade at least one or two of those guys most likely Crawford and Richardson (if anyone wants him) before the deadline, or Larry Brown is going to be taking a lot of games off due to migraine headaches.

20. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">RealGM - Steve Francis's coveted #3 is unavailable in New York, already taken by his new running mate Stephon Marbury.

His Maryland #23 also is unavailable, occupied by Quentin Richardson.

Francis had chosen a number which is familiar to Knick fans everywhere, the #8 jersey vacated by fan favorite Latrell Sprewell a few seasons back. He was presented the #8 jersey at an early evening news conference.

Knicks PR has since notified RealGM that he has decided to wear #1 instead</div>
    <div align="center">Link</div>

just to clear up all the jersey # speculation.