Stevie G "v" Ronaldo

Discussion in 'England' started by bringiton, Jun 13, 2007.

1. bringiton

bringiton Theatre of Reality

Re: Stevie G "v" Ronaldo

<div class="quote_poster">RedDevil Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">.

To be declared worlds best player you must also acheive internationally and perform in big tournements like the world cup which Gerrard failed to do whereas Ronaldo was instrumental in taking his country to the semi finals.

Darren Fletcher can play anywhere along the back four, winger, central midfeild, defensive midfeild, pretty much everywhere, but does that make him better than Ronaldo?</div>

Firstly i can't seem to remember Ronaldo playing in any Champions league finals where as Gerrards played in 2 or are they not big enough tournaments for you. Also Portugal have a better all round team than England where they have players along the line of Simoa etc we have to put up with the likes of Carrick.

Secondly to put Fletcher in the same bracket as Gerrard is foolish beyond the extreme. Ok Fletcher may be versatile But he isn't very good in any position.

2. mattyboy6

mattyboy6 DYC 1st team Reserves

<div class="quote_poster">bringiton Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">

Secondly to put <u>Fletcher in the same bracket as Gerrard is foolish</u> beyond the extreme. Ok Fletcher may be versatile But he isn't very good in any position.</div>

Too right Fletcher is aload of b*llocks, he's nothing compared to Gerrard, I'm still saying I prefer Ronaldo though.

3. Nic-chic32

Nic-chic32 DYC COME ON ARSENAL!!

Cristiano has more skills then gerrard

4. RedDevil

RedDevil DYC Youth Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Firstly i can't seem to remember Ronaldo playing in any Champions league finals where as Gerrards played in 2 or are they not big enough tournaments for you. Also Portugal have a better all round team than England where they have players along the line of Simoa etc we have to put up with the likes of Carrick.</div>
    As far as i can remember, Ronaldo played in a Euro Championship final and a World Cup Semi Final, dont remember Gerrard getting through the Quater Finals of either tournement. Granted, Gerrard has played in 2 Champions League finals but it is still early days for Ronaldo. By the way, Harry Kewell also played in 2 champions league finals, that doesnt make him better than C.Ronaldo. I accept the fact that Gerrard drove them to victory in the first final, but he was annonymous in the second final, failing to bury a one-on-one opportunity that would have put Liverpool on level terms early in the second half.

Champions League is a club tournement by the way, and i remember stating-
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">To be declared worlds best player you must also acheive internationally</div>

Another thing is, it is absurd to state that Portugal had a better all round team then England. You can say they have better chemistry and play better as a team, yes but they do not have better players. Why are you comparing Simao with Carrick who did not even play in the world cup? Why not compare Beckham who has no doubt carried Real Madrid over the last few months? Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney; Dont even get me started on Englands back line.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Secondly to put Fletcher in the same bracket as Gerrard is foolish beyond the extreme. Ok Fletcher may be versatile But he isn't very good in any position.</div>
    I never stated Fletcher was as good as Gerrard; I merley wanted to prove that just because a player can play in many more positions, it does not neccesarily make him better. What matters is, how good they can perform in their favoured position. Whats the point of saying Wayne Rooney is better than Kaka because Wayne Rooney can goalkeep as well?

5. bringiton

bringiton Theatre of Reality

Some great club players have never done it Internationally because of the dross they have around them and the same will surely go that way with England. Rooney is talented BUT i'll bet he never wins anything with England so that must mean he's shit then eh? Portugal are a better team than England thats why they keep knocking us out of tournaments.
    Don't get me started on Beckham ffs. Make your own mind up instead of reading the papers.
    As for the CL being a club competition, yes it is, BUT its the finest club competition in the world with teams competing in it that are better than a lot of International teams. So Ok Ronaldo may appear in 1 one day BUT Gerrard could appear in a World Cup final 1 day but on both counts i won't be holding my breath!

6. ftsincome.co.uk

ftsincome.co.uk DYC Pro Gambler

If you had to leave one out of your team I would leave Ronaldo out everytime

7. RedDevil

RedDevil DYC Youth Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Some great club players have never done it Internationally because of the dross they have around them and the same will surely go that way with England. Rooney is talented BUT i'll bet he never wins anything with England so that must mean he's shit then eh?</div>

Im not saying that Gerrard has to "WIN" an international tournement, but for gods sake atleast "PERFORM". Ferenc Puskas never won the world cup but will be remember for driving Hungary onto the world cup final. Baggio did the same for Italy in 94'. Gerrard always underperforms. As for Rooney, he was brilliant in Euro 04'-thats the type of performance required.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Portugal are a better team than England thats why they keep knocking us out of tournaments.</div>

Firstly have you noticed how we have been knocked out? Penalties. Secondly, i do agree that Portugal is a better team then us due to their superiour tactics and sensational teamwork, howeve i still beleive that England have much better players.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Don't get me started on Beckham ffs. Make your own mind up instead of reading the papers.</div>

Firstly, i never read England biased papers such as "the sun" or "the daily mirrors", occasionaly maybe to read about transfers. Besides newspapers, you have to respect Beckham. I have made up my own mind. Call me what you like but Beckham is Englands best player. He is the only players with the balls to show us his talent on the international stage.

For years now England have relied soley on Beckhams set peices and crossing to get them through. Please dont be biased mate. Take off your tinted glasses and view Beckham for what he really is. Not a superstar or a model, but a footballer.

Have you even seen what he has done for Real Madrid this season? He has made an astonishing recovery to his career and the man deserves some credit. Fabio Capello is now regretting the decision to let him go and even Cannavaro stated that Beckham was one of the main reasons for Real Madrids come back in the la liga.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">As for the CL being a club competition, yes it is, BUT its the finest club competition in the world with teams competing in it that are better than a lot of International teams. So Ok Ronaldo may appear in 1 one day BUT Gerrard could appear in a World Cup final 1 day but on both counts i won't be holding my breath!</div>

Im not dissing the CL mate. Im just saying that a player has to acheive on both levels. Cristiano Ronaldo has equaled the Brazillian Ronaldo in terms of Champions League stages. They both reached the semi finals, but not further. Ronaldo has never won the champions league in his career, however he will be rememebered as a bigger legend then Gerrard unless Gerrard manages to get his act together on the international scene.

8. heyj2

heyj2 DYC Running DYC's FFL

gerrard is better yes people rate ronaldo for his stepovers and flicks but gerrard is a more traditional english player who playes proper football yes the flicks and tricks are aolright but i dont think its for the proper 11 aside game

9. Robinho4Ever

Robinho4Ever DYC 1st team Reserves

Gerrard is better than Cristiano, after all he works harder !!.

10. LFCFAN

LFCFAN DYC Sent Off

Gerrard is much better, all Ronaldo can do is dribble down the wing and get tap ins, Gerrard is an all round expert!

11. RedDevil

RedDevil DYC Youth Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">gerrard is better yes people rate ronaldo for his stepovers and flicks but gerrard is a more traditional english player who playes proper football yes the flicks and tricks are aolright but i dont think its for the proper 11 aside game</div>
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Gerrard is better than Cristiano, after all he works harder !!.</div>
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Gerrard is much better, all Ronaldo can do is dribble down the wing and get tap ins, Gerrard is an all round expert!</div>
    Obviously the experts dont agree with you, which is why Cristiano Ronaldo was voted the premierships "player of the year".

Frankly, there is no point in duscussing this. Everyone has different opinions, the two players play in different positions. Both players are skillfull but in different ways.

12. LFCFAN

LFCFAN DYC Sent Off

<div class="quote_poster">RedDevil Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Obviously the experts dont agree with you, which is why Cristiano Ronaldo was voted the premierships "player of the year".

Frankly, there is no point in duscussing this. Everyone has different opinions, the two players play in different positions. Both players are skillfull but in different ways.</div>

In my opinion Gerrard has a wider range of skills and abilities.

13. #1RedDevil

#1RedDevil DYC 1st team Reserves

CM vs RM .. too different players!

u could compare ronaldo & ronaldino .. gerrard & lampard .. terry & ferdinand because they are all simlar players.

but gerrard & ronaldo are totally different!

14. Aston Martin

Aston Martin DYC Trialist

I think that Gerrard is the better player overall.

15. United4ever

United4ever DYC Manchester United's son

Ok, you're comparing a 22 yr old winger Ronaldo who is still improving and learning to a 27 yr old centre midfielder who is arguably in his prime. Yes Gerrard is better overall at the moment but Ronaldo is still young and he will probably overtake Gerrard in trophies both domestic and internationally and for what he did on the pitch

16. chopper

chopper DYC GUNNNERS TILLL I DIEEEEE

illd take ronaldo any day over gerrard. Gerrard is a great player but i think ronaldo is an amiazing player the stuff he can do and he isonly going to get better.

17. Maxi_d

Maxi_d DYC Gooner for life!

its so hard to decide, they both have different styles of playing, ronaldo's is unique and more recognisable. gerrard gets liverpool further in the champions league and ronaldo is good in the premiership...

18. Hudge

Hudge Active Member

Please do not bump old threads, I know it is not my position to say this as I am not a mod but no-one else is saying anything so I have to.