Street's second subpar outing raises questions for Rockies

Discussion in 'National League West' started by truebluefan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

"Panic comes free of charge. A first baseman can strike out, and he's getting his timing down. A starter gets shelled, and he's building up his arm strength.

But when a closer struggles in spring training, it's time to sound the emergency broadcast system.

Huston Street allowed runs in a second consecutive outing Thursday, building the fans' grassroots movement for newcomer Matt Lindstrom. Street isn't concerned. In fact, he said he's pleased with how his right shoulder has responded given how he injured himself a year ago at this time.

"Where I screwed up a year ago was going game speed in my first two bullpens. By the fourth day I couldn't even raise my arm," Street said. "This year, I am staying on my throwing program and taking care of my shoulder. Anytime you go through something like that you always have to stay on top of it."

Street has faced nine batters this spring, allowing three runs on three hits. Lindstrom surrendered his first run of the spring Friday on a Chad Huffman home run for Cleveland. The key for Street is regaining bite on his slider and changeup.

"You don't want to go into the season without feeling sharp," Street said. "But I believe if I am healthy, I will help this team win.""

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_17544097