Trade Suggestion: CJ for Jabari Parker?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Orlando is pretty desperate we might not even have to give up CJ to get Gordon/Vucevic

BigGameDamian and BonesJones like this.
  2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Most likely, but right now, he needs to improve quite a bit offensively just to match McCollum and in the meantime, he isn't beneficial on the defensive end. So he's a downgrade now and there's not a lot of reason to believe he'll ever be a significant upgrade since he's starting pretty far behind McCollum.

3. chzbrgr

chzbrgr Well-Known Member

Ok not impossible but we need some reasonable sort of likelihood to consider, giving up all-star caliber talent on a reasonable deal for what? a high draft pick from 3 years ago at a different position?

Pass.

4. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I see Parker as a different kind of scorer than CJ. He's got post moves, but he can also shoot. CJ is great, but he treads on the toes of Lillard, Crabbe and Turner, all of whom are being paid a king's ransom. So Parker is similarly flawed (both are poor defenders) but we don't have the kind of talent+cost logjam at 3/4 as we do at guard. Parker is also significantly younger than CJ.

5. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Right. Isn't that what happens in trades most of the time? Two teams are overstocked at one position and understocked at the other and swap?

6. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    He's 21 RIGHT NOW. When CJ was 21 he was sitting out his final year at Lehigh with a broken foot.

7. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Yes. If he weren't 21 right now, we wouldn't even be discussing this. I was assuming significant growth.

8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    There are teams out there that can facilitate a trade involving a poison pill provision situation. The Nuggets have about $19M in cap space and the Nets have around $18M. The Sixers, Jazz and Suns all have in the $13-$14M range of available cap space. It would take moving a combination of players and probably three teams getting involved, but it's hardly an impossible situation to come up with trades for CJ that would work. Not saying that I'm advocating it, just that it's not impossible. It would take considerably more than Parker to attract my interest if I were in Olshey's shoes.

Rastapopoulos likes this.
  9. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  10. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    So you're hoping he can be our center one day?

11. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  12. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Our? Are you and I adopting him? If you mean the Portland Trail Blazers' center, that would be difficult if Portland isn't trading for him.

13. chzbrgr

Im not ignoring the glaring need just the questioning the means to acquire a solution. My point is just cause he plays a different position does not give him the same value. Gotta be shrewd about this type of stuff I think. which is why I believe were in for a loooooong season and a disappointing trade deadline. If NO doesnt get a deal he likes he wont (hoping on hope here) make a deal just to make one esp not for CJ of all people. Nobody wants our pieces right now and we might have to bite the bullet and ride this year out with the group as is to make a move in the off season when more teams are open to it. Our bench guys will need the season to up their collective value to give us more opportunity for things like sign and trades.

14. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Until Crabbe can prove on a consistent basis that he is a quality SG, we do not trade CJ.

Crabbe has been getting his chances. He is averaging over 28 mpg, very near starter minutes. His production is no where near what it should be for the mpg he is playing.

Crabbe has not earned a starting job. I hope he does, but so far, he has been underwhelming.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I don't think you can just look at his MPG and say "he can earn it in those minutes". There's a difference between knowing you're the starter and knowing you'll get shots (and knowing there's not somebody hanging over your shoulder ready to replace you if you screw up) and just getting varying minutes with a ragtag bunch off the bench. Some people are better off the bench, some people work better as starters. I think Crabbe would be better surrounded by better players in the same way that Danny Green is. Ginobili is a way better player, but also needs the ball more, so it makes better sense to have Green be a starter - that exploits his skillset more.

I think the only way we'll get a fair assessment of Crabbe is if CJ goes out for a few games some time this season.

16. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    I just don't see them "upping their collective values" with the logjam we have. It's a catch 22.

17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    We TALKED about this! You NEVER listen.

Minstrel and PtldPlatypus like this.
  18. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

You can only trade CJ if there is a team accepting significantly more in salary than they're sending out.

Because of the poison pill, CJ's outgoing salary for us is 3.2M, but his incoming salary for anyone who would accept him is 21.8M. So, there's a gap of 18.6M which needs to be accounted for. Per the CBA, unless more than $20M of salary is being exchanged, teams that are or will be over the cap after the completion of the trade can only accept a max of $5M more than is being sent out. Once over $20M, the acceptable difference is 25%. So, in order for a two team deal to be consummated involving CJ and any team that is not Philadelphia, the minimum amounts of salary going out from and coming back to Portland would need to be calculated with the equation (O+3.2M)*1.25=I=(O+21.8M)/1.25, for which outbound salaries O=29.87M, and inbound salaries I=41.34M.

So, unless a trade partner is more than $18.6M under the cap (the value of the PPP gap), any CJ deal will either have to involve us sending out an additional $30M+ in salary along with CJ, and ending up $12M+ over the luxury tax line, or involve 3 teams, one of which is significantly under the cap.

So no, it's not literally impossible, but it is practically impossible.

chzbrgr likes this.
  19. chzbrgr

How? Harkless has done it so far, AC did it last year with less opportunity, ET is starting to turn it around, Aminu comes back and gets his with his shot where it was last year could do it esp on his deal. I mean Meyers is a lost cause but still there is conceivably a fair bit of value there that could be recouped.

20. chzbrgr

Thank you for looking that up