Summer League Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Its that time of year again. All SL related posts go here.

2. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

3. Run BJM

Yeah they're usually free. I'm still hoping for a free stream from someone.

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Please post if you find it :)

5. Run BJM

Ok. Dunno if I'm not allowed to so I might have to PM them but if I get one i'll send it to you.

6. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  7. Clif10

Clif10 Member

8. Run BJM

He was supposed to be a bubble late first/early second round pick but went undrafted. Decent prospect, point forward type who can shoot pretty well. I've seen some highlights and he doesn't look like anything special really.

9. Clif10

Clif10 Member

No Marco, no Brandan. Do these guys want to play basketball? I've heard Brandan is back at UNC trying to graduate or something. Is Marco still injured? If I were them, and I wanted to play, I'd be at the summer league. Randolph and Morrow are taking their spots when the season comes around and they don't seem to care. I think Acie Law could even push Marco down on the depth charts.

Maybe summer league isn't that important. But I think at some point I'd think they'd want to compete against these guys for more minutes. How else are they going to be doing it?

10. Clif10

Clif10 Member

Sounds like a Don Nelson player. Tall point-forward who shoots the ball. Apparently he's a decent passer. He has a lot of room to develop though. Maybe he stays and plays in the Developmental League or something.

11. Run BJM

Yeah good point. While summer league really isn't a big deal and certainly not a requirement for 3rd year players you would think that they would jump at every opportunity to earn minutes and get better, especially compared to their direct competition in Randolph and Morrow respectively. Maybe they've been working hard wherever they are but Randolph and Morrow have been busting ass in Oakland with the W's coaching staff and trainers. I can't see Wright or Beli winning a rotation battle against these two after the surge they put on at the end of last season and then working all summer at the W's facility to do exactly what the coaches want.

12. Clif10

Clif10 Member

I guess the first game of the summer starts in some minutes now. I am interested to hear how it goes.

13. Run BJM

Hah I'm getting desperate. Thinking of just shelling out the money and then giving you guys the user name/password to watch the archived games.

14. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I don't think 3rd year players are eligible to play in Summer League. Or, you can't play 3 years in a row. Something like that.

Marco is in Italy per Larry Riley.

15. Run BJM

16. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Looks like Morrow is out with sprained ankle. I think this was suffered before the game.

17. Run BJM

AR has 12 in the first quarter. Curry made a three early, had a beautiful pass. Nothing else noteworthy thus far.

18. Run BJM

Curry had a sweet drive and finish with a foul but they called it an offensive foul. announcers said it was a questionable call at best.

19. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

20. Run BJM

No prob.

Here's the final box score for the game today;
    http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=1520900001

My impressions:

Randolph- was dominant at the beginning but didn't really show me anything special. Some nice finishes on the break, made a jumper or two. Had one or two tough shots he made from the left mid-post area and showed good touch. Still pretty raw. He was head and shoulders better than anyone on the floor, as he should have been, but wasn't overly impressive compared to what he's shown us in the NBA already. Needs to show more polish. Fouled A LOT.

Curry- picked up a lot of fouls but very few were legit. I was really impressed by his active hands. He only got credited with 2 steals but I'd say he got at least 4 and deflected a few more. His defense is actually pretty good considering his athletic abilities. Hes no shut down defender but hes got good anticipation, plays the angles well, moves his feet and most importantly he doesn't dog it on that end of the floor. Offensively he never forced the issue. Made a couple beautiful passes (most notably a near half court lob to AR who finished it with a reverse layup). Hes an excellent long-passer as he regularly passes it deep down the floor or from one corner to the other. I like his feel for the game. Made a couple tough shots but also missed a lot of shots that you've seen him make in college. Pretty good game from him. I'd like to see him hold the ball more rather than deferring to teammates so quickly but, like i mentioned, he really knows not to force it and doesn't pound the ball like Baron did. Hes already getting smothered so its hard for him to really make many plays though. Got to the rim pretty well too, he isn't much of a finisher but can draw contract well.

Morrow sprained his ankle in practice last night so he didn't play.

Jermario Davidson showed little.

Acie Law had a few beautiful drives, also got a decent number of assists. Hes not bad. Doubt he cracks our rotation but if we need him due to injuries I think he'd fill in pretty well.

Cartier Martin was the best of the scrubs but still wasn't very good. He likes to shoot a lot. Mixes it up a little inside. Hes ok.

Ingles didn't do much besides hit one 3. Sorta reminds me of a shorter Zarko with his shooting stroke.

I thought Jared Jordan looked pretty decent in the little time he got. Wouldn't be surprised if he got a training camp invite.

Everyone else sucked ass though Lawrence Hill made a few plays.