Summer League Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jul 10, 2009.

1. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    Looking at the box score from yesterday's game, AR looks like a beast, Law has a chance at backup PG, Cartier Martin (formerly of Bobcats) may have a chance to stick and Stephen Curry is a gunner. Where's Morrow?

EDIT: I did not see Run BJM's post before posting. Like he said!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. Legacy

Legacy Beast

So you don't foul out in the summer league? I haven't watched in a while so I don't remember.

3. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Yup

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

5. Clif10

Clif10 Member

The thing that sticks out to me about Curry from the box score more than him being a gunner is where he got his shots and the associated accuracy numbers. He went 3/8 from 3's, which is a lot of attempts but not a horrible percentage. He went 1-6 from two point range. Hopefully he can create something inside the 3 point arch as the summer league and his career progresses. A positive is that he did get to the FT line 6 times, which is respectable.

Overall this summer league team is quite bad, based off the first game. The other team gets 27 turnovers and you still lose. The Warriors just seemed to shoot the ball poorly, even on the free ones, the rebounding was horrible, and assist/turnover numbers are far from impressive.

Otherwise, let's start game 2.

6. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    You can't watch these games like real games. Most players or groups have 2 or 3 things that they're working on. For the most part, the coaching staff isn't worried about winning or losing. They just want to see how quickly these guys learn and how hard they work. Try not to worry about the percentages so much. It's possible that they'll tell Curry to shoot whether he's open or not off a screen and roll to see how guys position to crash the boards for instance. These are essentially full speed practices

7. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Anyone know what Morrow's status is? Looks like he's not playing again, I hope his ankle isn't serious. AR off to another great start, 4-5 with 6 boards early.

8. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    I'm going from the box scores, but it appears Curry outplayed Tyreke Evans and was high scorer in the game. I hope Morrow's ankle isn't serious.

9. Run BJM

Curry looked good again today as did AR but mostly in the same fashion as before. Curry still doesn't really get many opportunities to make great assists due to constant double teams but hes still moving the ball and making the right pass. Love how he doesn't pound the ball. I think he did actually hold onto it more like a PG would/should in this game compared to last but certainly wasn't pounding the ball. 11 FTs is really encouraging, he gets to the rim well due to a crafty dribble and change of pace moves. Had one awesome finish on an and one play where he was fouled and the defender was trying to wrap him up but he flicked the ball over his right shoulder and in. Also converted on a tough inside shot that was called a charge but could have gone either way. His finishing is pretty hit and miss but I'd actually say he hasn't been getting some calls on the inside that he should have got. With time hopefully he gets even better at drawing the contact and making the FTs a sure thing.

AR was mostly more of the same. Jumper looks really good out to the college 3. Random note that I remember; the Kings committed a defensive 3 seconds in the key violation and Randolph went up to shoot it instead of Curry who was also on the floor. He missed it. The announcers thought it was odd too and chalked it up to Randolph likely taking leadership of the SL team.

Cartier Martin is a pretty decent wing. Shot the ball from the outside better today. Hes pretty good from the triple threat position, especially pulling up from the triple threat. Had a couple nice shots around the rim too.

Ingles made a few nice passes but hes really slow and his handle looks sketchy (though I haven't seen him get pick pocketed or anything yet). Appears to be a decent 3 pt shooter but pretty bad on D. If he was more athletic he could be a good glue guy.

Dunno what to say about Law. PRetty non-descript game from him I guess. He did drop 3 assists somewhere in there though, which is encouraging.

Connor Atchley gave us some energy when he was in. I missed the beginning of the game when he did a lot of his damage but I saw some of the highlights of him replayed during the broadcast. From watching him at Texas I can tell you hes a fairly athletic big man (about 6'11) who can shoot it from outside. He mixed it up inside pretty well today and was at least a live body compared to Sampson/Q Prowell/etc. who do nothing.

Jermareo Davidson wasn't impressive at all either.

Also Jared Jordan looked good in limited run in this game too. He runs the break absolutely beautifully but in this game there was an instance where he dished the ball to a wing on a 2-on-1 break and the wing passed it back immediately. He went up for the layup but missed due to some pressure from behind from Jason Thompson I think. I love his skill, IQ, etc. but hes just kind of overwhelmed athletically. His speed/quickness actually doesn't seem that bad but hes got poor strength and hops, can't finish well, and his jumper isn't very good from deep either. Could be a nice pickup if a team believes in him improving his J though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  10. Run BJM

Here's some tidbits on our SL guys from ESPN:
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-42-60/Saturday-Summer-League-Roundup.html

Here's a live twitter from the SL game (its in reverse order so read from the bottom up if you care about chronological order):
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-42-57/David-Thorpe-Livetweeting-From-Summer-League.html

11. Run BJM

12. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    Morrow will be back today, but now we may have Curry on the shelf.

I vote for Gooden (who can also play center and rebound; not much D) and Wilcox in that order.

From Rusty Simmons:
    SLD1
    1. Curry, by far the fan favorite in Vegas, is also the media darling. He had a variety of TV interviews Sunday.

2. Morrow, who missed the first two games with a mild left ankle sprain, practiced Sunday. He went through pregame drills Saturday and was on his feet cheering throughout the overtime win. He'll play Monday.

3. Jared Jordan, an 11-year-old streetball legend from the Northeast who hasn't grown much in the 13 years since, left the Warriors. The point guard was buried on the summer-league roster (14 minutes in two games) and would have been even worse off come training camp.

4. The players were part of a mandatory player-development meeting put on by the NBA. One of the few useful things discussed was life after basketball, a subject on which former Cal center Jamal Sampson chimed in. He's working in the real-estate business, buying and selling foreclosed homes.

SLD2
    Here are some nuggets from a day spent at Cox Pavilion:

* Curry tweaked his left ankle a little more than a minute into the game, landing wrong after a hard foul on his drive into the lane. After hobbling around for a second, Curry made his two free throws before leaving the game.

He tried for a couple of minutes to loosen the ankle on the sideline, and then he headed for lockerroom treatment. It appears as though he could do just about anything down here and get cheered, but when he knelt at the scorer's table to check back into the game a couple of game minutes later (about 10 real-time minutes), the crowd went nuts.

Most of a nearly full Cox Pavilion came to see Curry, and he didn't disappoint in the second half. After going 0-for-8 from the field in the first half, he made 8 of 14 shots after the break, had all six of his rebounds, two of his three assists and both of his steals.

The most impressive swipe came when he was a 1-on-3 underdog in transition but rightly read the point guard's eyes and intercepted the pass. Though down by double-digits at the half, this third-quarter play made you think Curry might have a little comeback in order.

When he completed his second series of a three-pointer followed by an acrobatic layup, it became clear he was going to do something special. But who knew he was going to score 27 points, including all six of the Warriors' points in overtime in leading to the win.

* Anthony Randolph might be the best player in Las Vegas. He's averaging 22 points and 10.5 rebounds and shows a marked improvement in ball-handling, decision-making and defensive effort (five blocked shots against Sacramento).

The debate was pretty one-sided for Randolph on Saturday, but it could get more interesting when the Clippers land in Vegas on Monday. The Los Angeles team sports 2008-09 rookie star Eric Gordon and this year's No. 1 pick Blake Griffin.

* Agents believe the Warriors are playing a waiting game, thinking -- with the reduced salary cap -- teams will be out of cap room before leftover free agents can be grabbed at a discounted rate. Warriors GM Larry Riley said the team is still after a power forward who can play center or a center who can play power forward.

"We're looking at a number of guys, but we want to be cautious in how we spend our money," he said. "We're going to proceed cautiously."

The same names (Drew Gooden, Sean May, Joe Smith and Chris Wilcox) continue to be the obvious choices.

* Anthony Morrow sat out consecutive days with a sprained left ankle. The Warriors don't believe the injury to be serious, and Morrow participated in pregame drills before riding the pine Saturday.

There's just no reason to risk something this year. But wonder if it was last year, when Morrow had a deal set to play in the Ukraine because he didn't think he was going to an NBA chance.

"There's no telling where he'd be playing," Riley said. Probably whereever he hit 16 of his first 19 three-point attempts, just as he did for the Warriors' summer-league squads a year ago.

* Jermario Davidson played only nine minutes in his first back-to-back games since having offseason surgery to repair a stress fracture in his left foot. He had a couple of rebounds and an assist, but he's clearly still trying to get back into shape.

* A day after looking like the best playmaker on a Warriors' summer-league roster, Acie Law IV played just 12 minutes Saturday. He had two points and three assists after going for eight points and four assists in 31 minutes a day earlier.

Law and Speedy Claxton, each acquired in the trade for Jamal Crawford, have a lot to prove if they want to become more than salary-cap moves. Both of their contracts are up at the end of the year, giving the Warriors freedom to make a splash or re-sign guys like Morrow at season's end.

Still, either has a chance to make the deal about themself. Law has been told as much, and Riley on Saturday addressed Claxton, who is trying to battle back from injuries that make a retirement more likely.

"He wants to play again," Riley said. "He's trying to get himself into shape, and we're going to give him an opportunity."

Claxton is expected to join the team in early September to check his conditioning, but his physical was waived in making the trade official.

Full blog here:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/warriors/author?blogid=39&auth=366

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  13. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Nice to see Curry and Randolph shining (but remember Belinelli shining?)

Wilcox has a better game than Gooden. Gooden's a knucklehead. Will Wilcox be motivated? When motivated he's a strong rebounder who can finish at the rim.

14. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

You guys can watch the games live on ATDHE.net. Quality is kind of crappy, but it's better than nothing. I don't think there's any way to watch on-demand there though.

15. Run BJM

Just got home from watching Public Enemies. AR put up 42 today (in 34 minutes), which is nice but I'm not that impressed considering some of the huge SL performances of years past with Diogu/Beli (not to mention guys like Skita and Qyntel Woods). What I do like is that he apparently dominated James Johnson and Taj Gibson and has been dominant throughout SL as he should be.

Seems like Curry struggled but he did get 8 assists.

16. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Look at this photo:

[​IMG]

Dude looks bigger. Still lean, but filled out. Maybe he won't be a stick forever. Nice to see. Good work Anthony. I'm thinking I'd rather have him than Beasley (but I'd still take Rose).

17. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Hmm, missed the game, 42 is nice but how in the heck does he play 34+ minutes and end up with 3 rebounds, especially with the opposing team shooting 43%? Curry with another Crawfordesque shooting night, this is starting to worry me. In 4 games he's shooting 22-70, that's 31%. Yikes. Well, it's summer league, but it's not encouraging all the same. He did have 8 assists though, that's not bad.

EDIT: Fixed Curry's shooting % to 31% (thanks, Kwan). Oh man...even worse than I thought...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  18. Clif10

Clif10 Member

I am curious why Randolph continues to play so many minutes. We know he's good. Everyone knows it. I suppose they're trying to get Curry/Morrow/Randolph on the same page and playing together as much as possible before the season starts. The rest of the team must really suck and they have no interest in seeing them play. And yeah, Curry is a volume shooter. He averaged over 20 FGA per game last season.

I think he and the rest of the regular team would benefit from having a true PG leading the way. Maybe someone like Andre Miller or something.

19. Clif10

Clif10 Member

Oh yeah, and most amazing stat of the game is Randolph's 21 FTA. That's a lot, and seems to be what pulled the Warriors to victory.

20. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

It's amazing how Randolph grew in just one summer league. Right now, Randolph really shouldn't be there.

Am I the only one who's disturbed by Curry's shooting %? Not only he is shooting 31%, he never shot over 40% in 4 games. And, it's not like shooting is Curry's weak point. I know summer league doesn't mean too much, but if he can't get a seperation from summer leaguers, I don't know how he can survive in NBA, at least in short term...