Summer League Thread

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Run BJM, Jul 10, 2009.

1. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Wow, Morrow is a beast. Hopefully he can get some extra playing time now. ;]

2. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Morrow is a beast.

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Morrow, Curry, and Belinelli are all terrific shots... the question is who is the most consistent, all-around, and strongest nba level defender?

Guys could go 5 for 5 from the field, but if they're giving up 5 field goals on their assignment or on late help D, forget that guy. We need defense this year.

4. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

Haha, good luck with that. I thought you would have learned by now CR2, that is never going to happen under Nelson. There's absolutely no encouragement and no consequences. I've been a big proponent of getting defensively-minded, but I've given up on it. This is just the way it is. The way I see it Morrow can score like Crawford (and is great at the freethrow line), but his D isn't nearly as bad and he's a good rebounder. If Morrow gives up 18 points a game but scores 25, let's roll with it. It'll definitely be fun to watch.

5. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Honestly the one thing actually about Belinelli is that I don't feel like he's a great shooter at all; he's actually got an above average offensive game that is still a bit streaky when it comes to his own offensive production. I'd love some defense, but honestly between those 3 it's a virtual toss-up.. they all have some deficiencies, and it all ends up equal as far as defensive production. It's not very hard to play Nelson's defensive system.. it's very zone-based, and as pointed out, doesn't focus much on traditional defense (staying in front of a man, working him down, boxing out for rebounds) but instead on clogging/shutting down passing lanes, positioning, and relying on perimeter defenders to be able to close out as fast as they can and for interior ones to challenge shots.

6. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I'm liking the Stephen Curry pick more and more. Sure, it's only summer league, but Ricky Rubio isn't even there.

The Timberwolves' top draft pick, Ricky Rubio, 18, will remain in Spain to play for his DKV Joventut basketball team for the remaining two years of his contract rather than try to move to the NBA this season, El Periodico reported Thursday.

The Barcelona newspaper also reported that Rubio, who was paid $97,000 in salary last season, plans to withdraw his contract lawsuit against DKV Joventut.

Timberwolves President David Kahn declined comment and Rubio's agent, Dan Fegan, isn't returning calls.

Full article here:
    http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12744898?source=rss

7. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    Run BJM, get ready to change you handle to Run SAM (Stephen-Anthony-Monta) or Run MCM (Monta-Curry-Morrow) or Run MCE (Morrow-Curry-Ellis). Run TMC was the highest scoring troika in the NBA back in its day.

8. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    That sucks for the TWolves. Suckers.

9. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Interesting because its sounds like the Magic will make an offer to CJ Watson soon. I've read that Larry Riley is a very big CJ Watson fan but I've also read Nellie has been a big Acie Law fan since his Texas A&M days. I really don't want Watson back at any price above the minimum. If we had limited options there I might shell out 1-1.5 mil a year for him but with Curry, Law, and Claxton (he said via twitter hes healthy and going to play this season) plus Monta, Beli, and Jack can run the show, I don't want to pay any unnecessary contracts. We'll have a week to match so it'd be pretty money if we could find another team who might want him and S&T him for another cheap player/unproven prospect/2nd round pick.

I've seen them all except last night's game and I agree. Like the pick. Also heard a Nick Van Exel comparison the other day and thought that was pretty good. Dunno, NVE had some high assist number seasons in his day but overall I think Curry could be a similar player (albeit without the attitude issues).

10. Run BJM

In other news, Cartier Martin has signed to play in Europe in 09-10. Sorta disappointing because he would have surely gotten a training camp invite and had a good shot to make the team. Especially if we ship off Azu/Beli.

BTW was Morrow the guy last year who had some kind of deal in place with a Euro team where he would sign with them if he didn't make the W's? I never hear of that happening but there was someone last year who did it. Obviously Morrow made the team so he never had to go to Europe but its a pretty great option to have in case he did get cut.

11. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    It could be Run SAM (Stephen-Anthony (as in AR)-Monta), too. Jeez it's summer league and I'm getting carried away here, but I've been reading some terrific stuff about Curry and Randolph in SL.

12. Clif10

Clif10 Member

Stephen Curry or Jackson?

Man this team has a lot of perimeter players. I'd be surprised if there is no trade before the start of the season. Perhaps trade some of the excess wings for a PG or a big or something else.

The new lineup - Stephen, Stephen, Anthony, Anthony, Anphen (aka Andris). Just joking, but this is a change from having players like Mookie, Vonteego, Adonal, Donyell, Antawn, etc (name wise). I guess we still have Kelenna.

13. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    Definitely Stephen as in Curry for the future. He reminds me of Steve Nash. I do not want to re-sign CJ Watson because Curry needs to play with Monta and Law needs to play some backup, too. I'm sure SJax will get the start or play the lion's share of minutes at PG, but Curry needs to get about 20 mpg off the bat. Maybe Monta will spend some time at PG, too. I'm okay with AR at PF/SF, but do not want to see him at C.

Here's a nice vid of SL with Stephen Curry.
    [video=youtube;db-tdRf1XMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db-tdRf1XMQ&feature=channel[/video]

14. Hoops Manifesto

Hoops Manifesto Member

Here's hoping Randolph and Curry get some quality minutes this year so we can see what they are made of.

15. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

At first glance, Curry doesn't appear to have much upside since he's not that big, not that fast or athletic, but I think he's got the Brandon Roy thing going. We're talking crazy intangibles and an all-around game. He's got leadership ability, his skill level and instincts for the game are awesome, he's clutch, and he's got a killer instinct. He is a true basketball player. He'll get it done, I believe. He won't back down. The only question is what position will he play?

16. jason bourne

Law enforcement
    Good question CR2. If Keith Smart was the Warriors coach, then I would say point guard without hesitation, but we got Don Nelson. With Nelson, I come back down from my SL high into reality.

Tim Kawakami bears me out.
    To be clear, I was not at all abandoning my general opinion that the Warriors are thoroughly unbalanced–financially and talent-wise–and that Don Nelson is not the right coach for this situation.

* There are still major problems fitting the roster to Coach Don Nelson’s designs and preference for veterans, which, shockingly, even Summer League dominance doesn’t quite solve.

Nelson and G.M. Larry Riley are committed to trying Monta Ellis at the point, with Curry a serious option only if Ellis flubs it.

And where does Morrow fit in the rotation? He’s a premier shooter, so he’ll play. But Nelson also has Curry, Stephen Jackson, Kelenna Azubuike, Corey Maggette and Marco Belinelli to split minutes at the wing spots.

Another problem: If Ellis, Morrow and Curry are the three-guard rotation, opponents will score 130 a game against this team.

I'm not even sure if Anthony Randolph is going to start and where he'll play. That's a travesty.

17. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    I think Curry will play back-up PG and when playing with Ellis, Curry will be the PG and Ellis the SG. But, I see Ellis running the point as well when both are on the court. But, given Curry's leadership abilities, it looks like he's more fit to play point than Monta. But, we'll see. I'm really interested to see how these two players will mesh (or not).

18. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

I think Nelson is secretly auditioning Curry as the permanent point guard. If he works out, Monta will be traded. But Curry is a rookie and it's not known yet whether he can can handle it or even if he can play in the NBA at all, so he's not going to just plug him in there yet. I think Nelson will publicly present Monta as the leader and the permanent point guard, when in fact it's Ellis who is the "backup plan", not Curry. I still don't see Monta as a point guard, most people don't, and I doubt Nelson does either.

19. Run BJM

AR and Morrow SL writeups from DX, AR was named draftexpress SL MVP:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Vegas-Summer-League-Player-Reports-Part-One--3295/